• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

Allow me to remove myself from this discussion.. I now know I need to go there before I dismiss it.. I respect all of your opinions and will go there because of them, eventually.. (Against every instinct I have) You all have eased some of my fears..

Daniel:

The respect is mutual. We'll all be eagerly anticipating your first report after you do go to the Trader Joe's for the first time.

The Gerolsteiner sparkling mineral water is $.99 bottle and would probably help wash down the crow you'll be eating... :raz::wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Let me explain that I am a BIG fan of TJs. In fact, I have been shopping at their markets since they were known as PRONTO markets and even then they carried a quirky bunch of stuff that could be found at no other market, "Gourmet foods" before that was seen in othr markets. That was the first store in which I saw a bottle of key lime juice.

Then the owner got the idea of setting up the markets sort of like an inter-island trading ship and so the sort of nautical theme.

The items that carry the Trader Joe's name or the variations thereof, are good. They will not put their name on stuff they haven't tried. The TJs organic frozen blueberries are tiny but much more flavorful than others I have tried. The "World's Largest Cashews" are huge and delicious.

check the prices, look at the stuff you can find there that is fresh because of the rapid turnover. almond flour or ground hazelnuts - cheaper than I can find anywhere else.

And a great selection of preserves and jams.

I would go if the only thing I needed was the Total Greek Yogurt but I like their TJ brand cheese type yogurts too.

I don't drink wine myself but I use it in cooking and have friends that love it. Sometimes you can get really good deals on wines that would cost much more in wine or liquor stores.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

OK.. I having never been to a Trader Joes, I just know its bad.  I would like a Pros and Cons list of the two. I know that Trader Joes is known for there branded products.. I would like a head to head contest between NY'S finest and this Trader Label.. I will spot Trader Joes five places..

Whats your favorite Trade Joes product?  I think collectively we can find at least five places where NYC makes it better..

I have shopped at a few Trader Joe's in the suburbs. I have somewhat mixed feelings about them.

I think some perspective regarding Manhattan is needed. This is not so much about quality of products and services as it is about the uniqueness of neighborhoods.

I am concerned about the homogenization of the city. It seems that every neighborhood is losing a lot of their respective identitiy. A big part of that identity is local shops. (it is also the architecture--even the buildings--apartments etc-- are looking the same all over town). It used to be fun to "travel" from the upper Westside to, say, SOHO on a Saturday afternoon--now SOHO really doesn't look or feel much different than my own area.

I also miss some local establishments like the Nevada Market even though there are still Citarella and Fairway and Zabars. I would also note that sort of mini chains are emerging from what were once NY establishments--Balducci's, Eli's etc.--I believe the overall quality is dropping at these places.

What is a positive note to all this is the revitalization of the Boroughs some areas of which look and feel like the old Manhattan.

Just popping in to add myself to the "excited" list--both my parents and my in-laws live near TJs, so we go whenever we visit either. Whoever said to only bring cash was absolutely right: When we went last weekend we dropped $92 and still needed to go to the "real" store for produce, etc. I consider this mostly supplemental stuff, things to go into recipes or make life easier on a busy night, but not for the most part it ain't pantry staples.

thoughts on food, writing, and everything else: Words to Eat By

OK.. I having never been to a Trader Joes, I just know its bad.  I would like a Pros and Cons list of the two. I know that Trader Joes is known for there branded products.. I would like a head to head contest between NY'S finest and this Trader Label.. I will spot Trader Joes five places..

Whats your favorite Trade Joes product?  I think collectively we can find at least five places where NYC makes it better..

I have shopped at a few Trader Joe's in the suburbs. I have somewhat mixed feelings about them.

I think some perspective regarding Manhattan is needed. This is not so much about quality of products and services as it is about the uniqueness of neighborhoods.

I am concerned about the homogenization of the city. It seems that every neighborhood is losing a lot of their respective identitiy. A big part of that identity is local shops. (it is also the architecture--even the buildings--apartments etc-- are looking the same all over town). It used to be fun to "travel" from the upper Westside to, say, SOHO on a Saturday afternoon--now SOHO really doesn't look or feel much different than my own area.

I also miss some local establishments like the Nevada Market even though there are still Citarella and Fairway and Zabars. I would also note that sort of mini chains are emerging from what were once NY establishments--Balducci's, Eli's etc.--I believe the overall quality is dropping at these places.

What is a positive note to all this is the revitalization of the Boroughs some areas of which look and feel like the old Manhattan.

This problem is certainly not limited to Manhatten. Towns, cities and even entire regions are becoming homogenized into cookie-cutter existence. While that does provide for a certain level of consistency, it also has a tendency to reduce or eliminate things that make particular areas special. Trader Joe's may not be the cause, but it is a reprresentative symptom even if it may be markedly better than most homogenizing chains. While I do not specifically avoid chains (it is very difficult to in The US in today's day and age), I do ttry to patronize more unique businesses when and if I have the opportunity, especially if they are selling more unique and locally representative quality products.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I just believe that "chains" are not all bad.

Nor are local mom and pop businesses all good.

A lot of the local hamburger joints replaced by macDonald's were lousy greasy spoons that served crap.

Many of the small hardware stores fallen to Home Depot were also poorly stocked etc.

We have a romanticized view of the good old days.

That said--we are losing what is a delicate balance between high quality smaller local businesses and high quality large chains. They each can offer a lot of good things to a community.

Whats the wine like there? Doc, are the nuts better then average nuts or just cheaper? Same question for the frozen shrimp and salmon.. Is the frozen shrimp cheaper then the live shrimp in Chinatown..Is there salmon just cheaper, or is it better then the salmon you can get all over New York.. Where does the New York store get there Salmon from..There tzatziki is it better then any tzatziki you could make or buy in New York.. And there herb salad mix.. Would it be better then the salad you could buy at Union Square Market.. A place where families and World Famous chefs all go to purchase there herbs.. Where a father of two could buy the same herbs, from the farmer, that a chef will use for a 20 dollar salad.

I also wonder if they will gear their offerings toward NYC...

In other words, things will be available to us that might not be available at other Trader Joe's, while things offered at other TJ's (frozen herbs) will not be on offer, due in part to their accessibility (in fresh form, no less) at the Greenmarket over the way.

I'm more excited about the bulk dried goods, I think...

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I fail to see why people are getting so excited. I have been to Trader Joe's numerous times with other people who are big fans.

They carry product that is not found in other grocery stores, I will grant you. And the quality is only fair given the prices. It should appeal to people who like whole foods.

Much better quality available already in New York.

I fail to see why people are getting so excited. I have been to Trader Joe's numerous times with other people who are big fans.

They carry product that is not found in other grocery stores, I will grant you. And the quality is only fair given the prices. It should appeal to people who like whole foods.

Much better quality available already in New York.

I'm excited because of what I've heard...never been to one, though.

Not gonna lie, though - I'm glad it's not in my 'hood. Too crazy, as John mentioned upthread.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I have been and agree that Trader Joe's is good option outside of the city, but I do not expect to shop at the NYC outpost, except for maybe an occasional perusal. I expect I will occasionally look for certain specialty items not carried by Fresh Direct when I will not want to pay typical NYC gourmet store prices, but that's about it. I think there is far too much bounty in NYC for Trader Joe's to succeed as a true gourmet store. Perhaps a discount gourmet store would be a better definition and way to target NYC shoppers.

That being said, I am glad to see places like Trader Joe's thriving in non-Urban environments, as their offerings are beyond what your traditional suburban supermarket carries.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I just believe that "chains" are not all bad.

Nor are local mom and pop businesses all good.

A lot of the local hamburger joints replaced by macDonald's were lousy greasy spoons that served crap.

Many of the small hardware stores fallen to Home Depot were also poorly stocked etc.

We have a romanticized view of the good old days.

That said--we are losing what is a delicate balance between high quality smaller local businesses and high quality large chains. They each can offer a lot of good things to a community.

I don't disagree with you totally which is why I said what I did in the last line of my post. Chains are not necessarily crap, although I consider your choice of MacDonald's a poor example. My issue is with total homogenization and standardization everywhere one goes. If they were all of the highest quality it might not be so bad, but unfortunately they have a tendency to glorify mediocrity.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

When I left California to move to Canada, I was so bummed because I knew I would miss TJ's a lot. I went online and found one in MI that was about 120 miles away from me, so I thought " oh, thats not too bad to go every couple months and stock up". I was slightly dissapointed however, because so many of the products I bought in Cali were not availble in MI. The two buck chuck was also 2.99. That said, I still miss it a lot and whenever we go to Ann Arbor, thats the first place we head to.

Trader Joes is about having price, quality (of ingredients, in taste) and convenience all wrapped into one-- so to compare apples to apples, or frozen enchiladas to frozen enchiladas, all of these factors should be considered about the NYC artisan/mom y pop products you compare.

Drink maker, heart taker!

TJ is not out there to rip-off the customers. Their business model is based on cutting out the middlemen to offers customers the reasonable price. There are several TJ's in Long Island and I have been going there every month. Yes, leave your credit card home!!! The Mrs. loaded up the trunk every time we go there!

The TJ's wine are the infamous 2 bucks Chuck's (Charles Shaw's) or 3 bucks now. The buyers from TJ pretty much check out the availability of surpluses from different winery, buy them in bulk and "blend" them. I have tried their merlot and surprisingly better than Yellowtail. But for 2-3 dollars you really can't ask for much. Anyway, you probably won't see wine in all NY TJ's.

Cheers.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

But how many boroughs would you have to go to and how long would it take?

I love Trader Joes. I love the convience and I love the 100% satisfaction gurantee. So when the clementines grow moldy in 12 hours or the mushrooms are slimey in 6, I take them back.

What do I usually buy?

1) Cauliflower--the season in DC is incredibly short. I think the farmers market had cauliflower for 2 weeks this past year. I can get heads for roasting for $2. Whole Foods has them for $4.

2) Decent olive oil that I use for everything at a better price than I can find anywhere.

3) Meatless meatballs--total convience food and I admit it.

4) Yogurt--rumored to be made by Stonyfield, sure tastes the same as Stonyfield and ten cents cheaper to boot.

5) dried pasta--sixty-nine cents a pound. Another convience food I adore.

I do most of my shopping at the local farmers market, Whole Foods and TJs. I don't have time to do more than an occasional run to Cheesetique or other specialty purveryors and I really can't imagine living in NY and having time for that.

I guess I'll just keep selling my soul to the chain demon.

The TJ's wine are the infamous 2 bucks Chuck's (Charles Shaw's) or 3 bucks now.  The buyers from TJ pretty much check out the availability of surpluses from different winery, buy them in bulk and "blend" them.  I have tried their merlot and surprisingly better than Yellowtail.  But for 2-3 dollars you really can't ask for much.  Anyway, you probably won't see wine in all NY TJ's.

So far, none of the TJs in New York State have beer or wine (at least according to the web site). That being said, you won't catch me drinking (or cooking with) 3 dollar bottles of wine. I'd rather drink malt liquor.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Abount once every couple of months, we drive about 45 minutes to do a Trader Joe's/Whole Foods run. Here are some products that I think are worth buying there, mostly because the quality is excellent and there aren't any comparable substitutes nearby and/or the price is just great: Niman Ranch Bacon; Goat Cheese Log; Frozen Berry Medley and Very Cherry Berries;Unsweetened, unsulphured dried fruit; Mochi (Japanese ice cream balls wrapped in bean pastry); Fruit salsas;Mezzaluna Squash-filled pasta;Nuts.

Haha.. Now thats funny Katie...

Nah...better yet, let's meet up and drag Daniel there for a TJ experience!

Cheers,

AzianBrewer

I'll take him at his word and not drag the poor lad. No need to ruin the backs of his shoes, y'know. :wink:

I really do want to hear what Daniel's honest assessment of TJ's is after his visit though. I suspect he'll understand what we've all been trying to tell him and will still stubbornly insist on running all over Manhattan for the perfect egg or whatever. :rolleyes:

If I had the time I'd do that too. Sadly, I was genetically deprived and was born into the wrong family. No trust fund. So I have to work like a sled dog and don't have time to shop like a Parisian housewife. That's where Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and the local farmer's market come in handy.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

dehydrated sponges (at half the price)

organic sliced bread

dried fruits and nuts

1 quart chicken stock @ 2.19

very high quality edamane

dog bones my dog actually likes

frozen rock shrimp @ 5.99/ lb

a nice selection of chocolate

there's always something new at TJ's thats worth checking out.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.