• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

Katie,

Your humor is really coming through in these last few posts.. And I get my eggs at a Portugese Bakery in Elizabeth, if you must know.. :biggrin: These super yellow fresh chicken eggs..

"So I have to work like a sled dog and don't have time to shop like a Parisian housewife. " I almost fell of my chair with that statement.. Haha

But listen.. I told you that this is just my gut feeling.. I am not so close minded that I wont go there. I am going damn it. Leaving with a bucket of salsa under one arm and a pitcher of TJ's Creamy Ranch under my other arm.. :laugh:

Moderator's Note:

Although the initial premise of the topics were somewhat different, the two topics on Trader Joe in NYC were merging in content so I merged them in actuality for organizational purposes. This is now the sole topic about Trader Joe's in New York City.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

But listen.. I told you that this is just my gut feeling.. I am not so close minded that I wont go there. I am going damn it. Leaving with a bucket of salsa under one arm and a pitcher of TJ's Creamy Ranch under my other arm.. 

Don't forget the tamales!

And as convenience products go those frozen mushrooms are indeed pretty amazing.

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

i know this is off topic, but daniel, are you a native manhattan-ite? were you born and raised here? i'm just wondering.

i think sometimes, things that we don't have get glamorized and seem greater than they really are. i do love trader joe's as i lived in california for some time. when i think about it, i miss it, but when i'm shopping in chinatown for my fresh shrimp, i certainly don't miss it. possibly, when i'm hiking back up to the upper east side from chinatown with a ten pound bag of rice on my back and a thousand red plastic shopping bags cutting off the circulation of every finger on both hands...i might miss it a little more.

i have a lot of friends who lament the fact that people don't shop more at the farmers' market, mom and pop stores, and etc. ad nauseum...they hate the idea of fresh direct and chain stores in manhattan...but funnily enough, they moved here from somewhere else!

it's the way of the world, for better or worse...i don't think that many people would pine for the days of high crime on the streets just so they could pay lower rent :blink:

i think sometimes, things that we don't have get glamorized and seem greater than they really are.  i do love trader joe's as i lived in california for some time.  when i think about it, i miss it, but when i'm shopping in chinatown for my fresh shrimp, i certainly don't miss it.  possibly, when i'm hiking back up to the upper east side from chinatown with a ten pound bag of rice on my back and a thousand red plastic shopping bags cutting off the circulation of every finger on both hands...i might miss it a little more.

It sounds like the hike won't be quite as long, but it will still be a hike! :raz:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

actually, i'm sad to say, it will be an even longer hike including the use of jetBlue as i'm moving back to california :sad:

i consider myself lucky to have had a chance to live in one of the world's greatest cities (probably the best city in the united states).

luckily though, the neigborhood i'm moving to is chock-a-block full of awesome chinese groceries and i think even a farmers' market or two. not too terrrible.

oh yeah, and to keep it on topic...there is a trader joe's close to my new apartment! i look forward to introducing my husband to the great snack foods they have!

I just believe that "chains" are not all bad.

Nor are local mom and pop businesses all good.

A lot of the local hamburger joints replaced by macDonald's were lousy greasy spoons that served crap.

Many of the small hardware stores fallen to Home Depot were also poorly stocked etc.

We have a romanticized view of the good old days.

That said--we are losing what is a delicate balance between high quality smaller local businesses and high quality large chains. They each can offer a lot of good things to a community.

I don't disagree with you totally which is why I said what I did in the last line of my post. Chains are not necessarily crap, although I consider your choice of MacDonald's a poor example. My issue is with total homogenization and standardization everywhere one goes. If they were all of the highest quality it might not be so bad, but unfortunately they have a tendency to glorify mediocrity.

Yeah--MacDonalds probably not the best example.

One could make an argument that box stores and chain restaurants have actually improved things.

I can point to a number of downtown areas that were blighted (often a mall or a big box store hastened the total collapse) only to be reborn with high quality small businesses.--New Rochelle, White Plains here in NY state are examples.

Like most things in life --this seems to go in cycles.

i know this is off topic, but daniel, are you a native manhattan-ite?  were you born and raised here?  i'm just wondering.

My grandfather was born in mahattan, as was my father.. I was born in Manhattan.. Lived here till I was five.. Then moved to New Jersey while my parents maintained an apartment in Manhattan.. My grandparets, aunts, cousins, and uncles lived here.. I came in almost every weekend and have been living here full time for the last 7 years.. Does any of this give you insight as to why I am not excited about getting cheap trail mix? :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

definitely helps! :laugh:

i'm glad you're coming from a justifiable high ground. i just find it funny when "immigrants" complain louder than other people. i am one such immigrant and i'm certainly jealous of/curious about native manhattan-ites. but then again, i don't have a home as i've never lived anywhere longer than five years at a stretch and that was only once in my life!

my husband does complain about the homogenization of new york (his grandparents and parents were from new york...the boroughs...ending up on long island). he's been living here for the last ten years and when i posed the same questions to him, this was his reply:

"yes, i definitely miss the eighties...i would definitely trade the gentrification of today for lower rents and more interesting people, places and times" but he also said that (having never been to a trader joe's) he doesn't think that it is replacing anything that doesn't need replacing and that we could probably do with fewer crap bodegas. so take it with that particular grain of salt.

it isn't all about the trail mix!

Katie,

Your humor is really coming through in these last few posts.. And I get my eggs at a Portugese Bakery in Elizabeth, if you must know.. :biggrin: These super yellow  fresh chicken eggs.. 

"So I have to work like a sled dog and don't have time to shop like a Parisian housewife. " I almost fell of my chair with that statement.. Haha

But listen.. I told you that this is just my gut feeling.. I am not so close minded that I wont go there.  I am going damn it.  Leaving with a bucket of salsa under one arm and a pitcher of TJ's Creamy Ranch under my other arm..  :laugh:

Daniel:

Glad I could amuse you. :biggrin: Seriously, I have no doubt you'll go to TJ's when you have the chance and I'm certain you'll find some things there you'll like.

The "perfect egg" thing was a guess on my part, but I just had a sneaking feeling from reading your posts that your eggs would have to be very special. I kid you with genuine affection and respect for your shopping prowess and patience. I really don't have the time to be the Parisian housewife so I must make some sacrifices, but I have the ultimate respect for folks that can.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Trader's Joes is fine for what it is, a smallish limited service store that mainly sells packaged and frozen goods. The fresh produce, meat and prepared foods sections are weak. Most of what they sell is private label, and is different from what is generally sold elsewhere. Qualitity varies. For example, Trader Joe's nuts are cheap, the ones at Fairway are better nuts. Overall, it's a useful addition to Manhattan. I think Trader Joe's competes more with a conventional supermarket than anything else. For example, they have significant space devoted to canned goods like soups and frozen prepared foods like asian rice bowls. Chances are, you'll find something at Trader Joe's that you like; they sell lots of interesting stuff you will not find in other places. But they are no threat to upmarket stores or even Fairway. Trader Joe's is owned by the same German family that owns Aldi, the cut-rate low end supermarket which is also famous for selling private label goods. Gotta wonder if they source from the same suppliers....

i'm just excited i dont have to drive to long island to get their terrific jalapeno and artichoke dip, frozen tiramisu, and pirates booty. i hate wholefoods, not only because they are not that good in the city, but their product is not as reliably yummy and its generally overpriced. tj's product is in my opinion much more quality in terms of taste. Also i was in LA on the weekend and their cali wine selection in store was pretty decent for their prices.

The first thing I said, I know nothing about it.. Never been to one, dont know anything about it.. But its a chain thats coming to New York. Thats all I need to know.. Should this conversation even be in the New York thread.. Is there some general area we can collectively all discuss the chain. :biggrin: Or are the stores different from town to town..

Nice to have an open mind... You know NOTHING about it, but it's definitely bad.

Yep. It's a chain. Unlike any other. Great prices, many unique items, many ordinary. Unique marketing system. It's your loss if you don't choose to go. But TJ's is well loved all over the country with its 100s of stores.

Prediction: In spite of Daniel, TJ's will be a HUGE success in NYC!!

Menton,

I have said that I will go. Its going to be in Union Square.. So if you visit New York and you want to take something authentic home.. Take the Holland Tunnel, shoot up Hudson and cross over on 14th.. Its right next to this big outdoor market where people are selling locally made produce, raw cheeses, meats, flowers, and other wonderfully prepared items.. Walked passed that old mess and look for the Neon Sign.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Menton,

I have said that I will go.  Its going to be in Union Square.. So if you visit New York and you want to take something authentic home.. Take the Holland Tunnel, shoot up Hudson and cross over on 14th.. Its right next to this big outdoor market where people are selling locally made produce, raw cheeses, meats, flowers, and other wonderfully prepared items.. Walked passed that old mess and look for the Neon Sign..  :biggrin:

Daniel,

I am on your side here. Although I do agree with Menton that TJ will do very well in Manhattan, it will not generally be the greenmarket crowd that goes there.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Menton,

I have said that I will go.  Its going to be in Union Square.. So if you visit New York and you want to take something authentic home.. Take the Holland Tunnel, shoot up Hudson and cross over on 14th.. Its right next to this big outdoor market where people are selling locally made produce, raw cheeses, meats, flowers, and other wonderfully prepared items.. Walked passed that old mess and look for the Neon Sign..  :biggrin:

Daniel, nobody really cares if you go to TJ's or not...

Menton,

Daniel, nobody really cares if you go to TJ's or not...

I think Katie does... :laugh:

ETA: And I do, too! :smile:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

What is that supposed to mean.. Can you have a conversation with out attacking someone.. Apparently, you care because after I expressed my opinion and ended my thoughts.. You decided to take a quote of mine and comment on it.. I hope people care if I go or not. I hope people care about me in general..

When Whole Paycheck opened in Union Square, I remember reading that there was concern that the Greenmarket would lose business because people would rather go to WP. I don't find that to be true. I'm only up there once a month, but I've found the Greenmarket to be just as if not busier than it's been. I wouldn't consider TJs as a replacement, but as a complement.

And yes, Daniel, we do care about you.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

When Whole Paycheck opened in Union Square, I remember reading that there was concern that the Greenmarket would lose business because people would rather go to WP.  I don't find that to be true.  I'm only up there once a month, but I've found the Greenmarket to be just as if not busier than it's been.  I wouldn't consider TJs as a replacement, but as a complement.

And yes, Daniel, we do care about you.

It's nice to have the alternatives in the winter time, since there's not much doing at the Greenmarket off-season for obvious reasons. But come Spring the greenmarket at union square is loaded with tourists, sometimes I think they get most of their money from that source. I wish the opening of stores like TJ and WF didn't automatically imply the doom of smaller merchants -- can't we all just get along? :sad: -- but inevitably it does. It creates a lot of tension all across the board. I look forward to checking out TJ, but I don't think I would shlep there for regular shopping. However, I do shlep to the Greenmarket pretty regular shopping in the spring & summer.