• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to eat with pancakes when you're bored

Fat Guy

We're having pancakes for dinner tonight, at the request of some friends who are just wild about pancakes.

What are some good accompaniments for pancakes? Let's dispense with the obvious breakfast foods: bacon, sausage, ham, eggs.

What else?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There is an interesting dish called "Buttermilk Cakes with Chicken, Ham and Walnuts" that comes from the early 1900's in my collection. Rich, hearty, sort of awe-inspiring in the sense of simplistic luxury it has. (Yes, of course I was there when it was being used at the turn of the century - I don't know why people even bother to ask this anymore.)

Of course if you want something quick and more easily prepared there is nothing wrong with a big tub of salmon caviar, lots of sour cream, and a bowl of chives in the middle of the table to ladle and scoop and sprinkle onto the pancakes. Pernods with water as beverage.

Fruit compotes. Strawberry, blueberry etc.

Hash browns. Yeah they're sort of breakfasty too, although I like hash browns any time of the day.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Creme Fraische and Osetra Caviar.

Ok lets get serious.

I did a writeup of a really good pancake place in Jersey a few months back, Original Pancake House in Fort Lee, which is part of a small national chain. They've got some interesting variations on pancakes for sure.

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

The thing is, their regular pancakes with toppings basically are not nearly as interesting as their special pancakes, which rather than having toppings, are actually prepared from different types of batters and are actually cooked differently than regular flapjacks. For example their Dutch Baby and Apple Pancake are these baked monstrosities which don't really resemble traditional pancakes:

gallery_2_1587_50804.jpg

gallery_2_1587_105327.jpg

gallery_2_1587_105608.jpg

I'm still pretty much a sucker for regular pancakes with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, though:

gallery_2_1587_7739.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I imagine tha items that are used in up-market omelettes would work well, with a few tweaks (Omelette Arnold Bennett for instance), but maybe this is a little too breakfasty.

I would go for a twist on some other familar hearth-cakes, you know a 'burrrito', but filled with a light ragu etc.

Are there not traditional Jewish recipes that could be altered? When I was in Vilnius there were many places that had buckwheat pancakes with fillings, especially smoked fish and wild mushrooms.

These are all great ideas, and I wouldn't wish to prevent more of them from being expressed here. I'd love to keep hearing about these ideas. Let me be more specific about the needs of the group in question this evening, though:

We're going to be eating the most normal, garden-variety pancakes as they are eaten in the Northeastern United States: white-flour-based buttermilk pancakes of medium thickness, with maple syrup (from my family's farm in Vermont -- yes, we have farmers in the extended family) and butter. That is going to anchor our meal.

What I'm looking for are accompaniments -- the things to serve alongside these pancakes. With, not in or on. (Edited to add: As in "fried chicken and waffles" per Jason's example). Any more ideas there?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

With. Okay, well how about a variation on the deep south -- Fried Chicken. They do it with waffles, but I don't see why you couldn't do it with Pancakes.

I also think some nice big thick char broiled hamburgers with fried onions on top, sans buns, would go well. I seem to remember long ago that IHOP used to have burgers on the side with pancakes.

Oh. And some bratwursts. Kielbasa even. Or nice big piles of thinly sliced country ham.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The fried chicken idea is very much along the lines of what I was thinking about. I see waffles as a bit heartier, or at least sturdier, than pancakes, so I was thinking maybe a variant, like chicken schnitzel or Buffalo-style chicken wings. Or I could just get a bucket of Popeye's and call it a night.

A light fruit soup made with pears and ginger or apples.

Hmm. Macoun apples and crystallized ginger. Could work as an appetizer or dessert.

Pancakes and chili con carne. Maple syrup goes disturbingly well with chili con carne.

Smoked meats also seem to go well with maple syrup, so smoked turkey and butternut squash in a shepherds pie.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The fried chicken idea is very much along the lines of what I was thinking about. I see waffles as a bit heartier, or at least sturdier, than pancakes, so I was thinking maybe a variant, like chicken schnitzel or Buffalo-style chicken wings. Or I could just get a bucket of Popeye's and call it a night.

Fried chicken breast cutlets would be good. So would the Popeyes.

I'd say chicken fried steaks too. And fried pork chops.

Mmmm... I vote for bratwurst. There's something magical about syrup and sausage.

Edited to add that I don't eat bratwurst for breakfast, so it's different and therefor should be an option. :raz:

Edited by lesfen (log)

Pancakes and chili con carne.  Maple syrup goes disturbingly well with chili con carne.

Smoked meats also seem to go well with maple syrup, so smoked turkey and butternut squash in a shepherds pie.

Really like the chili idea. I kind of suck at making chili, but if anybody can tell me how to do a really good chili in less than three hours (I'll be home at three and need to have dinner on the table shortly after six) I might try to tackle that.

The smoked meat idea is interesting too. I'm not necessarily committed to cooking everything myself, and I'm having lunch at Grand Sichuan International in New York, so maybe one thing that would work would be to bring home a tea-smoked duck and serve that with the meal.

Fried chicken breast cutlets would be good. So would the Popeyes.

I'd say chicken fried steaks too. And fried pork chops.

Oh snap... pork chops! That should be the winner.

how to do a really good chili in less than three hours

Impossible, even with using canned beans.

Mmmm... I vote for bratwurst.  There's something magical about syrup and sausage.

Edited to add that I don't eat bratwurst for breakfast, so it's different and therefor should be an option.  :raz:

One of my original thoughts was Aidell's chicken-and-apple sausages. There are also two excellent wurst shops near where I live: Schaller & Weber and the Yorkville Packing House. So maybe something in the non-breakfast sausage category. Hmm.

I'd go for the duck or non-breakfast sausages or La Brea Tar Pit chicken wings (Gourmet cookbook, though I found them on the internet).

Thing is, how are you going to fit in something green?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath