• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travel Advisory: How to Know You're Dining . . .

jamiemaw

OK. That slightly shifty concierge you ten-spotted recommended the joint on the waterfront and told you "It's a tough reservation but I'll do my best to get you in for the 'sunset' seating."

Pretty view. But there are a few disturbing signals like napkins handerkerchiefed into the wine glasses, whipped butter, a miniature loaf of bread presented with a steak knife, laminated menus and “Gump, party of 16, your table is ready,” ringing out on the PA every few seconds.

Your server asks, “So where you folks from?” before recommending the Thai prawns with cocktail sauce and the mahi mahi with lemon-butter or the “signature awesome buco”. The menu has specials pinned to the days of the week: If this is Friday, it must be blackened catfish.

Please dish: Any and all tourist trap restaurant stories appreciated here. And please feel free to go beyond the signals and share your actual experiences on the road . . . or even in your own home town.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

We ate in a Colorado restaurant once, where the menu was a CLEAVER, with the items and prices etched into the metal.

And one entire wall was semi-transparent, but must have been more than a foot thick, because it was made of adobe spacked around laid-on-their-sides wine bottles, with the bottoms toward the restaurant, like hundreds of little portholes with the light coming through. I didn't go out and see what the outside looked like.

Absence of locals. Or presence of only those locals who seem to be entertaining out-of-town relatives. It doesn't matter how many miles you yourself are from home, you can always tell the tourists from the locals and how many of each are in the joint. You'll need a polite excuse to make the quick exit ("some friends said they might be here but I don't see them"), but make it.

PS: Alwas remember that just becuase the joint is full of locals, it doesn't mean the place doesn't suck (as I was reminded, again, today, at a Southern Maryland seafood shack).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

My story is the opposite. I was staying at the Hyatt in San Antonio. I asked the concierge for directions to a barbecue place in what was evidently considered a bad neighbor. Her repy, "Oh no, we could never send our guests to that neighborhood." She then pointed me to a tourist trap bbq along River Walk. To be fair, I don't know for sure if it was a tourist trap, but it was on the River Walk so I'm fairly sure it was worth avoiding.

The doorman finally gave me directions. The neighborhood was anything but "bad."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

To be fair, I don't know for sure if it was a tourist trap, but it was on the River Walk so I'm fairly sure it was worth avoiding.

I differ in one instance. We were there several years ago and went to one of those picnic-tables-indoors/paper-towels-for-napkins places, ordered platters of about 10 things on the menu, and I STILL dream of those ribs. I was raised on Deep-South Memphis PIT barbecue; it's mopped with a rag on a stick, slow-cooked for a day, then chopped or pulled with lots of the crackly, crusty outsides blended into the tender, melting pork within.

This was BEEF barbecue, dry-rubbed and seasoned. Huge hunks of tender, not-too-juicy meat, falling pinkly from the bones with each bite. Brown on the outside, with that perfect deep-rose center that bespeaks HOURS on a real pit, with the hand of a Master Pitman at the helm. No sauce, just perfectly seasoned, perfectly tended meat, presented on a big plastic platter with no adornments necessary.

Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but the combination of dishes we ordered was called "The Cadillac." We were riding a boat down the river one evening looking up at all the Christmas lights. Someone mentioned the place, and we tried it. Perfect. Memorable. Wish you'd found it when you were there.

Edited by racheld (log)

My story is the opposite.  I was staying at the Hyatt in San Antonio.  I asked the concierge for directions to a barbecue place in what was evidently considered a bad neighbor.  Her repy, "Oh no, we could never send our guests to that neighborhood."  She then pointed me to a tourist trap bbq along River Walk.  To be fair, I don't know for sure if it was a tourist trap, but it was on the River Walk so I'm fairly sure it was worth avoiding.

The doorman finally gave me directions.  The neighborhood was anything but "bad."

Have a similar story about Little Rock -- even down to the fact that their yuppie magnet is called the "River Market." I didn't know exactly what barbecue place I was looking for, but I knew it wasn't going to be there, even though the folks at the Holiday Inn front desk kept trying to send where the other out-of-towners congregated. Finally found an old bellman who sent me to "bad" neighborhood -- meaning, of course, it was a black neighborhood -- and the barbecue was great and the people who worked there friendly in a way you almost never see outide the South.

My experience, over many years, is that if the front desk at a mid-price hotel recommends it, it's a tourist trap. Or a chain.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Please dish: Any and all tourist trap restaurant stories appreciated here. And please feel free to go beyond the signals and share your actual experiences on the road . . . or even in your own home town.

Recent trip to San Diego. Of course we should find good Mexican food somewhere -- and of course, my wonderful husband, who really is worldly and smart and all that good stuff, insists on asking the concierge at the Del ... and the concierge sends us to some place within walking distance. I felt the hair on my neck prick up as we approached, but I was trying to be a good wife (the man worked through his whole vacation, and I figured he didn't need me whining. It's only one meal, right?) The place was teeming with people -- the abovementioned "party of 16" with strollers. There was a "chips n salsa" stand, and the salsa was more sauce than salsa. And canned; I could taste the tin. But the margaritas were good -- too good. The bartender and our waiter really were terrific. The food stunk. They should be arrested for that fish taco. But -- my kids were happy, which is always a plus, and my husband thought it was fine. I told him gently at the end of the night that in the future, I will pick the restaurants and he picks the golf courses, and that's that.

Alternately, on a trip to Paradise Island, we asked our cab driver where he goes to get away from the tourists. After some good-natured protests (tourists were his bread and butter), he directed us to a place he called, "Fish Fry." It was a lineup of shacks and bars. He took us there that night. Where we ate didn't look too appetizing from the outside, but inside was warm and friendly and clean, and the bar area had a little TV with some sporting event, which made the boys happy. The Bartender and waiter acted happy to see us, and took great care of us. We had the best fish, cooked simply in foil and vegetables and served whole in that same bit of foil, plaintains, greens, rice and beans, cheap beers, and some good cake and ice cream for dessert. My sons and their friends (who were on vacation with us) declared it the best meal of the summer. Me too.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I was in Norfolk, VA for a funeral, of all things, and we asked the concierge where we could grab some dinner near our hotel (downtown Norfolk). We were recommended a place called Kinkead's (not related to the Wash DC restaurant) and they offered to make a reservation for us.

When we got there, the hostess looked at us, and without asking our name, said "From the Sheraton? 8:00?"

Even though it appeared that the place was filled with duped out of towners like us, we stayed and ate our overpriced, underwhelming meal. Sigh....

Pretty much any restaurant recommended by a hotel concierge just about anywhere. I'll actually make a point of asking the hotel concierge where to go just so I'll know what places to avoid (particularly irritating to tip for this information).

Hotel doormen are more reliable sources. Cabbies usually have great suggestions. Bartenders ditto.

Can you pee in the ocean?

As a hotelier, I should mention something. Most tourists are looking for familar places to eat, as travel is stressful enough for most people. From my experience, they view new, less familar dining to add to the stress instead of the fun. Ergo, the staff gets used to recommending "safe" dining to all.

However, when you are at a hotel, ask the staff for recommendations outside of the norm. If they throw a tourist trap or chain at you, tell them you want someplace a little more local. Ask them where they go out to eat when they want a particular type of cuisine. Walk into the restaurant and inquire about the menu and reservations, and in turn ask the host/manager/server where else they recommend. If the hotel has a concierge, be frank with them. Tell them exactly what you want...if they value the prospect of a tip, they will send you there. :biggrin:

"What garlic is to food, insanity is to art." ~ Augustus Saint-Gaudens

The couple that eGullets together, stays together!

However, when you are at a hotel, ask the staff for recommendations outside of the norm.  If they throw a tourist trap or chain at you, tell them you want someplace a little more local.  Ask them where they go out to eat when they want a particular type of cuisine.  Walk into the restaurant and inquire about the menu and reservations, and in turn ask the host/manager/server where else they recommend.  If the hotel has a concierge, be frank with them.  Tell them exactly what you want...if they value the prospect of a tip, they will send you there.  :biggrin:

I've tried doing this, really I have. And in the end I think it's a question of most concierges simply not knowing enough about food or even about their local dining scene.

Case in point: a couple of years ago I was in D.C. for a meeting, and asked the concierge (big chain hotel, site of the meeting) to try booking for me at Nectar. Blank stare. I ended up calling Nectar directly---couldn't get in, but was directed to Komi.

No getting blood from a turnip.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I prefer the do-my-research-on-eG-before-I-go method! :wink: Seriously. Ask people who care about food, and you'll usually end up at the best local places!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

In most parts of India but certainly in more touristed parts of the south, there were restaurants everywhere that featured a brightly-lit, marble-clad upper lounge with a doorman.

The first few times eating out I didn't take notice that I was ALWAYS being shuffled into that section, and there were only foreigners and well-dressed Indians and NRIs eating in this section. Many of the locals were making their way to the basement. Only after getting to know people and dining with indian friends did I notice that the basement(s) were usually dark, dingy and serving a different menu (with different prices) than the upstairs.

Etched in my mind is the look on the many doormen's faces when I deliberately made a b-line to the downstairs..."No sir, please come eat upstairs..we have a/c...we have specials...we have chicken cutlets.."

This strategy was great because I had a chance to try a number of dishes I wasn't expecting, and could smoke and drink crappy whiskey at the same time. Every now and then I think the kitchen staff would be mad that I was eating there and would deliberately load my Sambhar with chili powder until I was red in the face, and maybe I deserved it. No matter, the food was more interesting, the beer cheaper and the conversations more interesting.

On eating in kamloops.

A conversation with a concierge .

"where`s good to eat round here ?"

" boston pizza , thats a good restaurant "

We buckled under this profound statement and went to boston pizza. it wasnt half as bad as we had imagined . but it was kinda amusing to hear it said out loud.

The next day ( avoiding front desk conversations ) we found what looked like an independent restaurant ( the brickhouse ? i cant remember the name ) which was closed for a private function, and by judging what was being veiwed by their guests on the OHP they were a 40 strong delegation of gynecologists.

tt

As a hotelier, I should mention something.  Most tourists are looking for familar places to eat, as travel is stressful enough for most people.  From my experience, they view new, less familar dining to add to the stress instead of the fun.  Ergo, the staff gets used to recommending "safe" dining to all.

However, when you are at a hotel, ask the staff for recommendations outside of the norm.  If they throw a tourist trap or chain at you, tell them you want someplace a little more local.  Ask them where they go out to eat when they want a particular type of cuisine.  Walk into the restaurant and inquire about the menu and reservations, and in turn ask the host/manager/server where else they recommend.  If the hotel has a concierge, be frank with them.  Tell them exactly what you want...if they value the prospect of a tip, they will send you there.  :biggrin:

I just got back from a large resort in Colorado. The concierge kept trying to sell me on many of the dining options that were scattered throughout the resort itself (which is logical). The ones I tried were overpriced and not great. He also had rehearsed blurbs about nearby places from a very large book filled with local menues.

When I was checking out, I gave him a list of non tourist type places I gleaned on line and found out about from locals. He had no idea these places even exisited and was grateful to discover good, inexpensive local chow for himself. A good concierge should know the whole range of local choices, not just the tourist traps, chains or the places that pay for placement.

Two tactics. First, anywhere listed in the city guide found complimentary in your hotel room. Yeah there can occasionally be gems there, but good luck figuring which ones they are. Second, find the tourist restaurant strip in your home town. Commit the look and feel of the street to memory, next time you stumble across a similar streetscape in a foreign locale, turn around and walk the other way.

I was given a tip here on e-gullet from another member, (sorry I don't remember who, if I'm stealing your idea feel free to grab credit). It was for Europe, mostly France Italy. When confronted with an unplanned lunch, find a chubby mailman and get his reccomendation. Civil servants are frugal due to low pay, plus if he's plump, he likes to eat. Cheap price + good food= one giant win. I haven't tried this yet, but ceratainly have every expectation that it would work, and will test it next time we're in Europe.

Recent trip to San Diego. Of course we should find good Mexican food somewhere -- and of course, my wonderful husband, who really is worldly and smart and all that good stuff, insists on asking the concierge at the Del ... and the concierge sends us to some place within walking distance.  I felt the hair on my neck prick up as we approached, but I was trying to be a good wife (the man worked through his whole vacation, and I figured he didn't need me whining. It's only one meal, right?) The place was teeming with people -- the abovementioned "party of 16" with strollers.  There was a "chips n salsa" stand, and the salsa was more sauce than salsa.  And canned; I could taste the tin.  But the margaritas were good -- too good.  The bartender and our waiter really were terrific.  The food stunk. They should be arrested for that fish taco.  But -- my kids were happy, which is always a plus, and my husband thought it was fine.  I told him gently at the end of the night that in the future, I will pick the restaurants and he picks the golf courses, and that's that.

Ah yessssss ... San Diego's tourist-Mexican shuffle. As has already been said in numerous threads on SD cheap-but-good eats, the best Mexican joints are those that have an unmistakeably unglamorous-to-ghetto vibe. Coronado is a wonderful place, but you certainly won't be finding anything ghetto there--certainly not within walking distance of the Del.

San Diego also demostrates another rule of how to tell if a restaurant is a tourist trap: if it's within, or in close proximity to, any major historical neighborhood of touristy interest, the odds are overwhelming that the touristy-ness has infected the restaurant too. I have yet to dine in any of the restaurants in San Diego's "Old Town"--I understand there are a couple of winners among all the pseudo-Mexican eateries there, but the whole tourist vibe (can you say "strolling mariachi band assault?" :biggrin: ) puts me off enough that I just haven't bothered checking out any of them. Especially when the little 24-hour taqueria down the street does fish tacos just as good or better than most of those places, for a fraction of the cost and none of the tourist-vibe.

When my husband and I have been on bus tours (more or less voluntarily), we have quickly abandoned the sanctioned lunch stop or in-hotel dining unless there really isn't any other option, and we've never been sorry. We're more sorry when we're stuck with what the other tourists on the bus are eating.

In Greece, on a 4-day bus tour of ancient sites (Olympia, Delphi and the like, which we figured was an easier way to get around than renting a car and doing it ourselves), we got stuck at a tourist trap/truck stop of a place. At least two to three times what we'd been paying for any meal on our own for greasy, fatty lamb and insipid potatoes. After that, we made a point of finding our own when we could - rallying any other independently minded souls on our trip (and we usually make friends that way) for fantastic $1 or so gyros about a mile from the bus in Olympia, even going so far as to get our tickets to Delphi from the tour guide so we could go there first thing in the morning before it was mobbed with tourists instead of doing the museum first the way the others were going to do.

In Thailand, we did the same thing from the get-go, frequently eating where the bus drivers themselves were eating, avoiding overpriced meals with watered down Thai flavors (or oddities like chow mein). At one stop, we ate at a shack not two doors down from the hotel where the others ate, at a restaurant with no menu and the owners spoke no English. We'd look up a dish in our Thai-English food dictionary and point to the Thai to ask if they had it. It was one of the best meals of the trip.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

OK. That slightly shifty concierge you ten-spotted recommended the joint on the waterfront and told you "It's a tough reservation but I'll do my best to get you in for the 'sunset' seating."

No concierge or reserved seatings involved, but on one summer's trip to Venice, we deliberately ate in a tourist trap. I knew from the look of it that it was going to be overpriced for what it was and offer humdrum pizza, which it did. But we were hungry, and the place had tables on a stationary floating platform and a superb view of the sunset light playing on the face of La Redentore across the Canale Della Giudecca.

We found better food in many other places around Venice, of course, but never in such a setting (at least one that we could afford). It was a memorable evening. Unless you're on an unlimited budget, sometimes you simply have to make that tradeoff.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Alioto’s at San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf is pretty much guilty on all counts as described by posters above. It shows all of the tell-tale signs of a tourist slop factory. But I know a few “locals” who just love this place… does anyone know why?

I sure don’t. I’ve been a couple of times. The first was as a kid and the second was after one of the mentioned locals told me I had to try their shrimp Creole. It wasn’t bad (a few small little critters, just a hair bigger than so-called “salad shrimp” served with a rice featuring some tomato product and shrimp stock), but I still don’t get it.

No concierge or reserved seatings involved, but on one summer's trip to Venice, we deliberately ate in a tourist trap.  I knew from the look of it that it was going to be overpriced for what it was and offer humdrum pizza, which it did.  But we were hungry, and the place had tables on a stationary floating platform and a superb view of the sunset light playing on the face of La Redentore across the Canale Della Giudecca.

I was thinking that a good view is pretty much a sign of a tourist trap. A few other signs that leap to mind:

• The phrase "world famous" written on a clean, expensive, new sign.
    A smiling greeter at the door wearing the "local" costume.
    Frescoes and trompe l'oiel.
    Lots of travel guide recommendation stickers in the window.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

A give-away every time: an English language menu posted in a window but no menu in the native language.

In France at least, an over-priced prix fixe menu filled with non-threatening items they know will be understood by language-challenged tourists: salade mixte, quiche lorraine, steak frites, etc.

A few other signs that leap to mind:

• The phrase "world famous" written on a clean, expensive, new sign.
    A smiling greeter at the door wearing the "local" costume.
    Frescoes and trompe l'oiel.
    Lots of travel guide recommendation stickers in the window.

:laugh::laugh:

"Mom's"