• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Youngest Michelin Star Winner!

Myself and a fellow Egullter were chatting and this topic came up, neither of us knew the exact answer?

Robert Thompson is 22, and head chef at the 2* Winteringham Fields, but Germaine Schwab is the executive chef.

Does anyone know the youngest chef in the UK to have personally gained a michelin star?

Cheers

Paul

We were talking about the UK but if anyone knows in Europe aswell......??

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

In the UK was it Steve Smith, 23, JC protege who then went to Melbourne?

I'll have a google...had a google (edit)...didn't say...but when I met him at the sofitel in 2001 he claimed he was...

Edited by Marlyn4k (log)

I was actually going to say Steve Smith, who's incidentally now the main man at Seaham Hall, after 'leaving' Pat McDonald's stable at Paris in Birmingham. Incidentally, he's just had the nod for his fourth rosette and is still as hungry for a star as he ever was.

It was actually discussing Nathan Outlaw that led Paul (Pweaver1984) to ask me if I knew who the youngest was - I didn't know, so we turned it over to you lot. :)

Maybe an email to Michelin might be in order, hmm...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I think so, yes...

It can only be a matter of time before the aforementioned Robert Thomson (brother of Egulleteer and Roux Scholar Patrick) strikes out on his own. I cooked alongside him at the Roux Regionals this year and he's stupidly talented. It's very VERY difficult not to get green with envy about his talent and drive at that age. :)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Email to Michelin has been sent...........awaiting a reply!

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Jeeves tells me that Toby Hill was the youngest-ever winner of a Michelin star, at Gordleton Mill Hotel in Hampshire. It don't say in what year, nor how old he was. Apparently, Mr Hill and his brother now run the 65-seat Moon & Sixpence, in Hanwell, near Banbury.

I think that it may be Ray Farthing at Calcott Manor (Now at 36 on the Quay) I think he said he was 23!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

I think that it may be Ray Farthing at Calcott Manor (Now at 36 on the Quay) I think he said he was 23!!

Toby Hill was the youngest at 24 so you beat him by a year here's google search guess he beat him after though does mention British so who's the youngest ever! http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&clien...nG=Search&meta=

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

:wacko: I must hang my head in shame!! Sorry, Ray was 25 not 23- when he won it, he was the youngest, but obviously Toby Hill has beaten him!! Sorry- took me a while to find a definative answer

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Just to let you know Michelin replied saying that they do not keep chefs ages on record.

Looks like its Toby Hill then, thank you everyone.

Tommy Cooper