• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

last night's dinner STARTED out as peruvian stew and ended up as soup.

canary beans

sofrito of leek, red onion, garlic, cumin and tomatoes with jalapeno peppers

chunk of bacon

the last of the capon stock

the last of the red pepper

carrots

oyster crackers a la hidden valley ranch

it really was quite good

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I had some left over Shula kalambar (brown lentils and spinach cooked separately, then mixed together with a large knob of butter, seasoned with ground coriander & cumin seeds and some minced garlic).

Turned it into soup by adding a little bit of crumbled porcini stock cube and water.. pureed .. it ended up a thick, earthy and delicious soup. It also had an amazing color: very dark, moss green.

One day last week I combined leftover steak and Guinness stew with leftover tomato based sauce from my braised chicken thighs (there was less than a cup of each), added water (no need for stock with such rich bases), some diced potato, simmered until all the flavours blended and the potato was tender, and tada... a fantastic hearty soup for lunch!

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I plan on making Bourdain's Les Halles mushroom soup as part of dinner tomorrow night. Does it improve over night or should I make it tomorrow morning or even right before serving?

Um . . . I reheated it a couple of times. I can't really say that it improved overnight. (How do you improve on perfection?) I would say make it at any time that is convenient for you. It certainly doesn't suffer from reheating.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Making soup today, for future consumption -- NeroW's One of Each again!  Have not yet plumbed all the depths of its intrigue.

I made this yesterday, and as Maggie and Priscilla have noted, this soup is amazing. I put in tons of curry powder b/c mine was kind of old and had lost some of its potency. I couldn't stop licking the spoon while I was putting it away for tonight. I'm going to serve it with grilled cheddar-bacon on cinnamon raisin bread, I think that will be a great combination.

Thanks NeroW!

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Wow Chufi that sounds good. Is the soup put into the oven as the dumplings go in?

Basilgirl your post reminds me of the nice green apple I have in the crisper bought expressly to make Nero's OoE soup again. Today is the day, as there is also the serendipitous 1 c. of heavy cream kicking around.

I think it can't help but be heavenly with your way value-added grilled cheese. I will serve it later in the week with whatever shape the leftovers from tonight's Nigella-inspired 24-hour pork shoulder assume.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Fo lunch today I made chicken and rice soup:

1/2 onion finely chopped

1/3 cup sliced celery

1/3 cup sliced carrot

1 tsp chopped thyme leaves

4 tbsp of my concentrated chicken stock

4 cups water

1 cup shredded chicken (from last night's roast chicken)

1/2 cup cooked lemon scented basmati rice (leftover from Friday's dinner)

salt to taste

a couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce

chopped parsley at the end

Edited by gourmande (log)

Wow Chufi that sounds good.  Is the soup put into the oven as the dumplings go in?

Yes, I make a simple dumpling mixture of flour, butter, milk and herbs. Roll into small dumplings, put on top of the soup, cover the pot and put in the oven.

I love dumplings - I love their doughy texture and they look so cute on a soup or stew.

I made a huge put of mushroom, barley and lentil soup tonight. It was stick to the ribs good.

I think we should all try to make non-mushroom soups next week. :blink: What do ya think?

Edited by Pam R (log)

the snow sems to have come to an end - just blowing as the temps drop and the windchill plunges. johnnybird is going up to his mom's this weekend so i did two soups (and froze enough for him to take up for her) - smoky black bean soup and winter squash and apple soup. will keep some out for our lunches on weds and thurs.

i have a recipe for asparagus vichyssoise - will try it when it warms up a bit :hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Found a great Szechwan Carrot Soup on Epicurius.com the extra ingredients are

1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

1 1/2 tbs soy sauce

1 1/2 tbs peanut butter

1 ts sugar

1ts sesame oil

3/4 in piece of ginger root

1 cup milk

Sreve with sour cream as garnish

Baconburner

Bacon burner, thank you for posting this (however long ago). I'm not a big carrot fan, but wanted to get rid of 2lbs. of carrots I had bought for another recipe. Anyway, I made this last night. This soup is PERFECT. I made it exactly as stated. YUM.

Fifi, where did you get your Bamix, and which model? I see one available for $99.00 on Amazon with no photo or description, and then another, the Gastro 200 for $189.00 or something like that. The Gastro is longer, which I don't need, but I don't want to get the cheaper one if it's too wimpy. I have a Cuisinart now, and I hate it -- no power.

This is the one I got. I didn't bother shopping it. I was in SLT for them to straighten out an order screw up from the holidays. It was there. I was there. And they gave me a discount so I don't know what I paid for it.

Just a note on the Bamix and soup. I made a small pot of tomato basil soup the other night. It all started when I found a forlorn little jar of basil puree lurking in the freezer. I immediately thought of the tomato soup. It must be a yearning for spring. (Now that is something of a joke. I don't think we ever had winter.) Anyway, The only tomatoes I had in the house was a can of chunks. I dumped them in the pot with some garlic and stewed them up. I added about a tablespoon of paste to kick up the tomato flavor. At the end, I whizzed it all up, added the basil and some cream. It worked great.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone make any soup lately?

Made the Leek, Potato and Bacon soup from Patricia Wells' "Bistro Cooking". So simple. So good. So ...........there are leftovers - sheesh I almost forgot - thanks - my lunch is made.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have some in the works...beef barley. It was going to be for dinner last night but then we decided to go out for sushi. So, it's going to be for lunch today.

There was also an interesting looking soup recipe in this month's Bon Appetit that I will be trying out soon. It's for "Spicy Thai Asparagus Soup with Lobster" although I'll probably either omit the lobster or replace it with crab (or even tofu, for that matter).

I have some in the works...beef barley....

What a coincidence. That's what I made yesterday.

I make soup 4-5 times a week, usually small batches, just enough for lunch for two of us. Earlier this week I made chicken noodle (Monday), pasta fagiole (Tuesday), and beef barley (yesterday). Today was tomato rice.

If someone wants to get this the thread back on track and suggest another soup of the week, or specific recipe to try out, I'm in. :smile:

I have some in the works...beef barley....

What a coincidence. That's what I made yesterday.

Mine is now all assembled and, after I get back from the gym, it will be consumed. I had about a 1/2 cup of the Les Halles mushroom soup leftover, which I stirred into the soup. What a fab idea that turned out to be! It's not as rich as the mushroom soup was but it really added some depth of flavour.

If someone wants to get this the thread back on track and suggest another soup of the week, or specific recipe to try out, I'm in.  :smile:

Well, I'll be doing an asparagus soup next week. :wub:

I made the Les Halles fennel and tomato soup. I think I might have used too much tomato but the suggested pernod gave it a nice balanced taste. I could eat soup every day and I love having little containers in the freezer for a quick lunch.

Mine is now all assembled and, after I get back from the gym, it will be consumed. I had about a 1/2 cup of the Les Halles mushroom soup leftover, which I stirred into the soup. What a fab idea that turned out to be! It's not as rich as the mushroom soup was but it really added some depth of flavour.

And the finished product...

beef.barley.soup.jpg