• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

Yes, I have a Brother label maker. However, I've decided to only use that for containers that I want back. Jason hates having to remember to bring the containers home. Now that I have a case of 16 oz* heavy duty deli containers in the garage, I'm sticking to the sharpie, since the lids are destined to be tossed.

Rachel, are these HD containers a thicker version of the light weight plastic containers? Or are they styrofoam. or something else?

They're plastic deli containers. The carton is labeled "Delitainer." So, yes, "a thicker version of the light weight plastic containers." In the picture below, the clear lidded containers (minestrone & matzo ball) are the lightweight ones, the opaque ones are the HD (heavy duty) containers.

gallery_2_4_55975.jpg

The problem was the restaurant supply store would only sell these lightweight plastic containers in smaller amounts, so I bought some of those. The package was labeled "microwavable," but they warped. I knew the kind we get from the deli or soups from Chinese takeout would be good. Those had to be bought by the case (quantity=250), but the cost per unit was almost the same, within a penny. And I figure I'll eventually go through them. The main thing was that they had to be freezable, microwaveable, and disposable.

I'm sorry that they're not more environment friendly, but you can blame Jason for that -- he usually either completely forgets to bring home the Rubbermade or Tupperware, or they sit in his car until moldy. We tried using a thermos for a while, but his lunchtime is variable, so sometimes the soup cooled off too much by the time he ate it -- and, again, he had to bring the thermos home. This way, I pop a frozen soup portion in his lunch bag. It keeps everything else in the bag cold, while at the same time it defrosts just enough to allow for quicker microwaving.

I'm sorry that they're not more environment friendly, but you can blame Jason for that -- he usually either completely forgets to bring home the Rubbermade or Tupperware, or they sit in his car until moldy.
What about those thick paper / thin cardboard takeout soup containers? I wonder if they'd survive the freeze-then-reheat cycle. I keep being very envious of Rachel's stash of containers, planning my own trip to the restaurant supply store... and then I think about the environmental aspects and go back to washing (and losing) Rubbermaid.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

You can always wash and reuse the deli containers. :biggrin: I can still get the heavier ones at my restaurant supply. The lids look like the more opaque ones that Rachel has but the container is still pretty transparent. They microwave just fine. I can get them in sleeves of 50 still. The neat thing about them is that the three sizes I can get; 8, 16 and 32 ounce, all use the same size lid. If I had to buy a case, I would.

I am not sure about the paper containers. They are probably water proofed with food grade parafin that would probably melt off in the microwave. It won't hurt you but the container may not make it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Let me suggest getting extra lids. They start to crack after awhile -- it's the trips through the dishwasher and time in the freezer that does it to them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Let me suggest getting extra lids.  They start to crack after awhile -- it's the trips through the dishwasher and time in the freezer that does it to them.

That makes sense. I just checked my containers. The container part is polypropylene (PP) and the lids are low density polyethylene (LDPE). Interestingly enough they are made by Reynolds. The lids fit exceptionally well and are really leak proof.

Here you go. I like the clear ones (natural) instead of the white. The cost per 16 ounce container with lid comes to about 14.5 cents (US). Actually, I see that they also have the lids in PP. Maybe they wouldn't crack as readily.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

finally feeling almost human. i have been subsisting on a soup of broth(any in the freezer), frozen peas and bow ties with plenty of pepper. actually used all my broth up and made a pot of capon/chicken/vegetable stock that i finished and refilled my freezer with today.

thinking of that senegalese soup... though i think i want french onion. though the sense of smell is so off i really don't want to eat...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

From the NJ forum ShopRite thread, where we make notes of particularly good specials at this supermarket chain:

2) Stripped Chicken backs. This is for the stock makers. Usually, I buy the family pack of leg quarters at .59/lb to make stock. Sometimes I suppliment with the stripped backs and/or wings. However, both of these are more expensive than the legs. In fact, the stripped backs were .69/lb last time I bought them (seems weird to me, being that there's so little meat on them). Today they were .41/lb. I would have stocked up or just bought them to make more stock, but I just made stock recently and there's no room to store the bones in the freezer (because it's full of soup and frozen brussels sprouts and tater tots! :laugh:).

3) Mushrooms - 10 oz packages of white or "baby bella" (cremini) mushrooms for .99. I think this was an in-store special though, it wasn't in the circular, so your store may not have them on sale. Guess I'm making mushroom soup soon.

So, anyone have a theory about why the stripped chicken backs are usually more expensive than legs? And, as noted above, I'll probably be making mushroom soup soon. (I have plenty of dried porcini to boost the flavor of the cremini.)

So, anyone have a theory about why the stripped chicken backs are usually more expensive than legs? And, as noted above, I'll probably be making mushroom soup soon. (I have plenty of dried porcini to boost the flavor of the cremini.)

My only theory is that they are ripping you off! I've never heard of backs being more expensive than legs (or almost anything else). We sell cases and cases of backs - I always advise people to use them in soup unless they are going to eat the meat (you have no idea how many people use whole chickens and then toss the meat because it's *tough*).

We charge less than half for backs than for legs. We also charge less for necks - which I am going to go put in a pot right now - with one cut up chicken - and it's soup tonight.

Edited by Pam R (log)

And, as noted above, I'll probably be making mushroom soup soon. (I have plenty of dried porcini to boost the flavor of the cremini.)

rachel - you won't need your dried porcini to make the mushroom soup that maggie did(bourdain's). i followed her recipe but used the baby bellas(sale only through yesterday).so flavorul and creamy once i whizzed it up in the blender.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made the mushroom soup from The Les Halles Cookbook.

Now, I made a few changes -- evoo instead of butter (I was making it for a meat meal, hence no dairy). Mushroom stock instead of chicken. And a combination of button and creminis.

The soup was fantastic!! Great flavor and body. And indecently easy to make.

Blovie was a very happy man.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Another soup addict here, and though late in joining this "soup-grope-group", I'm eager to participate in the soupe de la semaine project. :smile:

Admittedly I have just skimmed through the previous 10 pages, but is the idea for Maggie to choose a soup theme and participants pipe in with their adaptation or recipe choice?

The soup kettle is out and ready!

Edited by gourmande (log)

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Well, I have been particularly perverse and have not followed any rules. I just make what soup appeals to me at the time.

I guess I am going to have to break down and get the Bourdain book. I haven't done that yet because I have no interest in cooking pig snouts. :laugh: (Just joking.) But, since everyone is doing that mushroom soup, and I love mushroom soup, I may have to relent.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I guess I am going to have to break down and get the Bourdain book. I haven't done that yet because I have no interest in cooking pig snouts.  :laugh: (Just joking.) But, since everyone is doing that mushroom soup, and I love mushroom soup, I may have to relent.

Before I mention this, I do want to give (yet another) strong recommendation for the book, even if you're not going to be cooking pig snoots - it's a darn good read and there's lots to learn from it. Besides, it made me laugh, and that alone is worth it to me.

But if all you want is the mushroom soup recipe, it's been published on the epicurious site (which I assume means it's with the blessings of the publisher):

http://www.epicurious.com/features/cookboo.../recipes/231145

And it is a very very good mushroom soup indeed.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

this is one of my mushroom soup recipes - it's for those who REALLY like mushrooms....

Eight-Mushroom Mushroom Soup

You can substitute the mushrooms in this recipe with any that you prefer.

1 oz. / 25 g dried mushrooms – (Oyster, Porcini, Chanterelle and Shitake)

2 cups / 500 mL simmering water

3 Tbsp. / 45 mL olive oil

9 oz. / 275 g yellow onions (1 medium) -- peeled and finely chopped

3 oz. / 75 g oyster mushrooms -- torn into large chunks

3 oz. / 75 g Button mushrooms -- quartered

5 oz. / 150 g mushrooms -- crimini, quartered

4 oz. / 125 g mushrooms -- portabella, cut into large chunks

1 Tbsp. / 15 mL fresh garlic -- crushed

¼ cup / 50 mL dry red wine

1 cup / 250 mL stock (chicken, mushroom, veg - I don't think I'd go to beef or veal)

salt and black pepper to taste

chives

Rinse the dry mushrooms well, place them in a bowl and pour the water over them. Set aside and allow to cool then cut them into chunks if mushrooms are whole. Use a slotted spoon to remove the mushrooms from the liquid and set both aside.

Over medium-low heat, sauté onions in olive oil for 10 minutes. They will start to caramelize. Add fresh mushrooms and sauté over medium heat for 8 minutes. The mushrooms will start to release their juices.

Add rehydrated dried mushroom and garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes.

Increase heat to high and add the red wine. Cook 2-3 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce.

Slowly pour in the liquid left over from rehydrating the dry mushrooms. Make sure to leave any residue in the bottom of the bowl - or pour it all through cheesecloth. Add the stock, salt and pepper, cover and bring soup to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Top with chopped chives.

Do I need to say here that I hold the copyright? (still don't know how the copyrights apply here)

. . . . .

Before I mention this, I do want to give (yet another) strong recommendation for the book, even if you're not going to be cooking pig snoots - it's a darn good read and there's lots to learn from it. Besides, it made me laugh, and that alone is worth it to me.

. . . . .

I absolutely intend to get the book. I have everything else the guy has written. He makes me laugh as well.

That recipe is ridiculously simple. That may be what makes it good. I have some excellent chicken stock in the freezer and . . .

and . . .

A brand new Bamix to break in. :cool:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Well, there may not be an official soup theme, but I'm sensing a pattern: mushrooms! So I may as welll jump on the bandwagon and try the Les Halles mushroom soup. However, since he does say in his intro that "it gets even better overnight", I'm making today to enjoy tomorrow...

If it's like all the other recipes in the book that I've tried, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Asparagus soup yesterday, will bring some to my Mom when I see her this week.

Cut asparagus simmered barely covered in chicken stock until very tender (tips simmered and removed for later garnish), run through the old Mouli on the finest screen, back on the stove, heavy cream added, simmered. Always happy to see the return of asparagus season.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Asparagus soup yesterday, will bring some to my Mom when I see her this week.

Cut asparagus simmered barely covered in chicken stock until very tender (tips simmered and removed for later garnish), run through the old Mouli on the finest screen, back on the stove, heavy cream added, simmered.  Always happy to see the return of asparagus season.

Zuni Cafe cookbook has an absolutely wonderful asparagus, rice and pancetta soup. It's fast and impresses everyone.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

tonight we had an autumn harvest soup of sorts: butternut squash, carrot, apple, potato... seasoned with ginger, cumin and curry, and garnished with roasted red pepper purée and toasted spicy pumpkin seeds.

tonight we had an autumn harvest soup of sorts: butternut squash, carrot, apple, potato... seasoned with ginger, cumin and curry, and garnished with roasted red pepper purée and toasted spicy pumpkin seeds.

This soup sounds yummy Gourmande.... do you have a recipe that you can share or did you make it up as you went?

I just happen to have some butternut squash in my root veggie basket right now and have been trying to decide what to make.... soup sounds like a very good idea.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

This soup sounds yummy Gourmande.... do you have a recipe that you can share or did you make it up as you went?

I just happen to have some butternut squash in my root veggie basket right now and have been trying to decide what to make.... soup sounds like a very good idea.

No recipe, just made it on the fly...

Roasted and puréed the squash yesterday (I find roasting gives it a nicer flavour).

Sweated one chopped onion in butter. Added one large chopped carrot, one small potato cubed, one peeled, cored and cubed apple, one chopped garlic clove, chopped thyme leaves, about 1 tsp minced ginger, a pinch each of salt, cumin and curry powder, and 4 cups chicken stock. Brought the soup to a boil then reduced heat and simmered slowly until vegetables were tender. At this point I added the puréed squash then let entire mixture cool slightly before puréeing the lot. As it happens the consistency was just as I had hoped.

Before serving I simply reheated, swirling in about 1/4 cup heavy cream. Seasoning was just fine so I didn't need to add a thing. However, I did add a bit smoked paprika to my red pepper coulis to give it a little extra kick.

Thanks! Now another couple of nit picky questions if you don't mind :smile: ....

What kind of apple did you use?

And....

Did you do anything in particular when making the the red pepper coulis?

Thank Q :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown