• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

Did you make a big batch, keep it in the fridge and eat it all week? Instead, get some pint containers that are microwavable. Fill them with 8-14 oz of soup (whatever is your typical soup serving) ...

Yeah, I meant to do that. Unfortunately I added the macaroni before remembering to remove the portions destined for the freezer. D'oh!

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I had some pasta fagiole yesterday (no pasta in the minestrone), and the pasta is fine. I mean, I wouldn't want to serve it as the appetizer for a fancy dinner, as it is a little soft, but for a warm and comforting lunchtime soup, it's not worth fussing over.

How's this week's soup going? Nobody's posted yet other than Maggie.

Today I'm going to make an escarole and bean soup. Maybe I'll add some sausage and some form of pasta to that, tortellini would be good, I'll have to check the chest freezer. I wasn't planning on using a recipe, but if anyone has one, feel free to share.

On another note, the containers I bought two weeks ago at the restaurant supply store suck. They are too thin, and even though they were labeled as microwavable, Jason reported back negatively. So I got some of the heavy duty containers that I had to buy by the case of 250 (as opposed to the lighter weight ones, which can be purchased 50 at a time). So, I'll have a few years supply of containers, there are worse things, and the HD ones are only around a penny more per container and lid.

Rachel: 250 containers --now that's luxury!

I won't be making soup today, because I've been asked to take dessert to a get-together with old friends tonight, so it's baking day. But I'm going to make some stock so I have enough on hand to try Nero's family recipe tomorrow.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Since I made chicken stock, I thought I'd use some of it to make chicken noodle soup (not much else I could make, given the state of my pantry/fridge). It was fairly standard, and not really worth posting about, until I was struck by inspiration.

The problem was that not much starch escaped from the noodles, so the soup was pretty thin. I didn't want it really thick and didn't want it creamy (not that I had cream anyway), so I was about to mix up a bit of buerre manie when I spied the chicken fat I'd just removed from the stock. Viola! Schmaltz manie! It gave the soup a beautiful silky texture, thickened just enough, and also contributed to the flavor. Anyway, that'll be my standard thickening method for chicken soup from now on.

I also tossed in a big handful of baby greens (mostly spinach and arugula) that were past their prime -- gave a nice hint of bitterness.

Now, the rest of the stock will be split between "three celery" soup and the freezer.

. . . . .

Viola! Schmaltz manie!

. . . . .

Absolutely brilliant! And timely, too. I am currently looking at about two quarts of a 4:1 reduction of the chicken stock I made a few days ago. I, too, decided to save the fat. I was thinking of making a small pot of soup since I probably don't have enough room in the freezer for all of the stock. I don't particularly like brothy soups and you have just solved my problem.

Now I just have to figure out what else I want in it. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Nothing really. I cleaned out the veggie drawer the other day and most of that was already soup. :laugh: I don't necessarily need any meat in there. The only thing that is sticking in my head is peas. :blink: Other than that, I am drawing a blank. I have to go to the store anyway so . . .

I just got around to tasting my chicken fat. I will never throw that stuff away again. Some flavor from the mirepoix is in there. In fact, next time I make stock, I am going for the fattest chickens I can find.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just finished the stock for this weekend's soups. I'm not reducing it because I want to make soups with it, so I've got about 8 quarts. I've been getting 8 quarts yield from my 16 quart stock pot pretty reliably, plus about a quart of fat.

Is anyone else unable to bring themselves to use the concentrated stock in the freezer? For soups I mean. I'm always using cubes for pan or roux sauces, but I just can't bring myself to use it for soup.

I added up the cost of ingredients for today's stock, it came to approximately $10, not including gas and water:

• 6.15 Chicken Leg Quarters, 10.42 lbs at .59/lb
    2.06 Stripped Chicken Backs, 3 lbs at .69/lb
    2.00 Vegetable content (estimate)

Also, I roasted the chicken parts and half the vegetables this time, I wanted to see if there would be much of a difference in the finished product. There wasn't much taste difference, but there was time-wise. I think the flavor and collegan extracted faster by a few hours. Since I usually allow it to simmer overnight, I don't think I'll bother next time. It just adds 2 sheet pans to the clean up.

Is anyone else unable to bring themselves to use the concentrated stock in the freezer? For soups I mean. I'm always using cubes for pan or roux sauces, but I just can't bring myself to use it for soup.

I am laughing with you. :laugh: I just can't seem to use the cubes for soup! I will go out and BUY chicken broth to make soup rather than use these precious cubes!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just finished the stock for this weekend's soups. I'm not reducing it because I want to make soups with it, so I've got about 8 quarts. Anyone else unable to bring themselves to use the concentrated stock in the freezer? For soups I mean. I'm always using cubes for pan or roux sauces, but I just can't bring myself to use it for soup. I added up the cost of ingredients for today's stock, it came to approximately $10, not including gas and water:
  • 6.15 Chicken Leg Quarters, 10.42 lbs at .59/lb
    2.06 Stripped Chicken Backs, 3 lbs at .69/lb
    2.00 Vegetable content (estimate)

Also, I roasted the chicken parts and half the vegetables this time, I wanted to see if there would be much of a difference in the finished product. There wasn't much taste difference, but there was time-wise. I think the flavor and collegan extracted faster by a few hours.

HA! You have just confirmed my observations over in the eGCI! I got 8 quarts as well. I have the same problem with using the cubes for soup. What I do is put it up in different sized jars for the freezer. I have 4, 8 and 16 ounce sizes. Then I label it with what the reduction is. I really like the roasted chicken stock. It is a bit of a different flavor and does seem to go faster but I have never measured it since I usually shove the pot into a 225 degrees F oven and go to bed. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

*dons microbe hunter hat*

I would feel a lot better about the 40 degrees if you had a chunk of ice to put in the pot like a soda water bottle full of frozen water. At 40 it is going to take an awfully long time to chill down. Actually, if you start now, maybe you can freeze 2 bottles and after it is chilled down swap for the new bottle. I all you have is cubes, use a really big bag and swap out for a fresh bag once it is chilled.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I've used my reduced cubes for soup. Not for a big potful with 8 servings, but a quick weeknight meal for one. Worked fabulously. I did use bought stock for a big potful of soup as well. I was inspired to follow the eGCI course but forgotten I'd lent a friend my stockpot (and she'd forgotten to return it). So I did a mini-batch in a 5 quart pot and don't have enough cubes to spare. Once I get my stockpot back, I'll be using the cubes for soups too.

Here is what I did with the chicken stock that I had reduced 4:1 after I put most of it up. I make a light brown roux with about 2 tablespoons of chicken fat and 2 tablespoons of flour. In went 2 diced shallots until wilted. I added a splash of white wine, about 1/2 cup and cooked that down. In went diced potatoes, carrots and green peas, white pepper, a little thyme, 1 1/2 cups of the undiluted stock and about 1 1/2 cups of whole milk. It is velvety and screams CHICKEN!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

So many soups, so little time!

One of my weird favs is Tomato Cranberry Soup--It can't be easier than water soup!

1 can jellied cranberry sauce, 1 can tomatoes(not Italian or other seasonings, but just plain, peeled tomatoes--I use petit diced because it's what I have the most of.

Combine in a saucepan and heat until the cranberry sauce melts, then puree with either an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Return to the saucepan, heat to just a simmer, and serve hot with a garnish of heavy cream drizzled on, I used it for Valentines with a heart drizzled on in drops or squeezed out from a fine-tip bottle and spiderwebbed with a skewer.

Beautiful ruby red color and very interesting taste--no one could tell me what it was made of unless they heard the name.

It's not the destination, but the journey!

NeroW's One of Each Soup. Excellent served Saturday in stemless cocktail glasses. I passed it though a sieve. (Nero, do you ever do that?) Bananas, even with the singleton in there, are SO fibrous.

Mags, have you made it yet? I think it's going to make itself very useful.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I never thought about adding fennel to potato leek soup. What a great idea. I love fennel and potato soup. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

I have learned something new. As you might know, I have been working on doing better at cooking for one. Yes, I could make a regular pot of soup, typically pretty big, and freeze it. The problem is, right now I don't have freezer space galore. Also, I do something once and usually move on. It is the rare recipe that becomes a permanent and oft repeated part of my repertoire, like the mushroom soup for example. I get a kick out of getting creative and trying something new. Now, even if I had freezer room to spare, I get inhibited by the little guy on my right shoulder whispering "You really need to eat up some of that stuff you have in the freezer." But I have this great idea, I whine. Then the left shoulder sitter says "To hell with what is in the freezer, let's have some fun." I think I have come up with a better way for me. Shoot for a maximum of 4 cups of soup in a batch. That is what I ended up with when I made the chicken soup up-thread. I had some when I made it, had some for lunch today, and there is one more serving in the fridge. That is about my tolerance level for eating the same thing within the space of a week. Luckily, most soup recipes can be cut down without harm. So, now I will be making soup with more abandon since I am getting comfortable with cutting down a recipe and not putting all of that emotional baggage into the freezer. :biggrin:

This thread is to blame for my epiphany. Yes! I can make less soup!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

On Friday night, I made a big batch of Jewish penicillin (ie: chicken soup). It was dinner for the family that night, and pretty much all that was eaten this weekend.

I wish I had thought to take a picture!

In addition to necks and bones, a couple of trays of wings stayed in the pot for the long haul. A young chicken was thrown in just until cooked (otherwise it dries out) - then it was torn into large chunks and just warmed through before eating. Onions go in whole so they can be pulled out - but I love the cooked celery carrots and parsnips, so they get chuncked and left in. (I added dill, but it could have used a little more)

There was debate about what to make with it: matzo balls, rice or egg noodles. So we made all. The only thing missing was kreplach - which I didn't have the time, nor ingrediants (yes, I have matzo meal at home but no flour) to make.

Since our weather did go back down to -25 C, it was the perfect pot of golden goodness for this weekend. My only complaint is that there wasn't any left to freeze. (I may have to steal a couple of liters of chicken broth from the freezer at work because I have a hankering for Avgalemeno).

Thank you all so much for your savvy. recommendations, and bright ideas. Pam, that's chicken soup just the way I like it. And fifi, I too, looked at my limited freezer space, now a wall of of stock and leftover soup and vowed: I can make less soup. I can cut that recipe in half. I don't have a tableful of rosy-cheeked bairns and ancient grandfolk waiting to hear those lovely words: "Soup's on.!" (I don't even own a tureen, but I want one now, barely a month and a half into my soup cycle.)

I am so delighted that I didn't decide to cut back on quantity before I made Nero's One of Each Soup -- for recipe read upthread. It's name is way too simple and Midwestern; this is, far and away, the best recipe I've made so far -- and I've enjoyed all of them, and they were from some high toque dudes. It needs a name that implies a whiff of it's simplicity and exoticism: Potage a la Mode de Kalamazoo? Soupe Nero?

It is dead easy: Rough chop the fruits and veggies, simmer in stock till tender. Puree (I used an immersion blender) add a little curry and salt and pepper. Enrich with cream. And you get a soup so fresh, so mysterious (I can taste the banana just because I know it's there) and so , well, unlike anything I've eaten before.

Notes: I did a stupid thing: I used a quart of stock instead of a pint of stock, so I had to simmer it down after I pureed it. It was still probably not as thick as the correct version, so I added, maybe, half the cream. And as we ate it we thought the same thing: Chilled, this might be the best cold soup ever imagined.

So I didn't freeze the leftovers. I came home from work, pulled out the container, and found a spoon. It might have been even better cold than hot. I adore Vichyssoise and all the chilled tomato- based summer soups, but they don't come close. Really. I think a little garnish of diced avocado would be pretty against the pale gold of the soup.

OK, this is a rave, but the Tuscan I live with tried it cold from the fridge tonight and said:"Absolutely delicious!" He doesn't throw around superlatives.

Nero, I'll get you the Chimay pork recipe. Promise.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Today (at work) I made (approximately) 70 litres of bean and barley soup and (approx.) 50 litres of split pea soup. I think I may take a break from soups for a couple of weeks...

But...that chicken soup was so good this weekend... I may need another pot.... hmmm....