• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Stars

Suzi Edwards

Could someone just look in the guide and pst what Michelin expect of a 2 star joint?

well it's not that simple!

michelin don't disclose their criteria.

they just say vague things (that i think andy mentioned ) about 'good food worth a detour 'which doesn't help much!

they don't say must have riedels, silver, linen cloths, sommelier etc but most assume that's the sort of direction youmust be heading in to get your star and beyond.

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Could someone just look in the guide and pst what Michelin expect of a 2 star joint?

they don't say must have riedels, silver, linen cloths, sommelier etc but most assume that's the sort of direction youmust be heading in to get your star and beyond.

Surely that's the crux of the matter for many smaller establishments - what we ex-biologists would call convergent evolution rather than divergent; many different places feeling they have to conform in order to get a star, certainly to get two. Shouldn't it be about time that individuality is more highly valued?

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Surely that's the crux of the matter for many smaller establishments - what we ex-biologists would call convergent evolution rather than divergent; many different places feeling they have to conform in order to get a star, certainly to get two. Shouldn't it be about time that individuality is more highly valued?

I think that's why people (not all people, natch) were pleased when The Fat Duck got a third star and why Anthony's will probably be lauded. I think, in Michelin terms, you need one restaurant within a certain oevre to be recognised and then it gets easier for the others.

Of course, I may be talking complete rubbish, I am half watching a Charlie Sheen movie while writing this.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

absoluteley.

i'm not saying i agree with their methodology, and no doubt michelin themselves would say there's no set formula but starred places do tend to conform!

having said that, i do like that style of restaurant and find michelin to be the most reliable of guides, however now i find these sort of boards significantly more up to date and useful for plotting culinary adventures.

cheers

gary

I was having that 'I wonder if Anthony's will go straight to two' conversation only yesterday! But I assume they don't do that...Has Pool Court still got one Gary?

Wonder also whether Michelin has an unofficial limit for stars within a region. I know the maitre d' at Dinham Hall in Ludlow was saying they'd never been reviewed (at least since he'd been there), and the food there was so far in advance of Underhill's it deserved one rather more.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

I was having that 'I wonder if Anthony's will go straight to two' conversation only yesterday! But I assume they don't do that...Has Pool Court still got one Gary?

Wonder also whether Michelin has an unofficial limit for stars within a region. I know the maitre d' at Dinham Hall in Ludlow was saying they'd never been reviewed (at least since he'd been there), and the food there was so far in advance of Underhill's it deserved one rather more.

yes it is leeds only starred place,i feel a bit sorry for them, everyone has plenty to say about ant's/no3 but i rarely hear anything about pool court, and certainly nothing that makes me think i should go back.

we are having an office christmas lunch at brasserie 44, (the sister restaurant, in the same building if you don't know leeds) menu looked so uninspiring i said i'd hold the fort instead !

from what i hear michelin are open to suggestion about visiting, if you write to them with your menus/wine lists/get your regulars to recommend they do seem to take notice. And they take a lot of notice of negative thoughts of places they recommend.

your man at dinham needs to be a bit more proactive, though i would have thought given its close proximity to the other ludlow stars michelin probably would have passed through, it's hardly out of their way.

cheers

gary

yes it is leeds only starred place,i feel a bit sorry for them, everyone has plenty to say about ant's/no3 but i rarely hear anything about pool court, and certainly nothing that makes me think i should go back.

I've only been to Pool Court once and thought it summed up everything that is wrong about the Michelin model -- OTT service and peripherals and not enough attention paid to the food.

I had the tarte tatin of my life so far at Pool Court. Can't remember what else I ate, but that was splendid. Service was good as far as I recall. I was a lone dine and they made me feel very welcome. Looked at the menu last time I was in town and it didn't grab me for some reason.

I've always liked the place, with the exception of the trek to the toilets. Certainly was Leeds best for a long time (okay, with short periods of exception when Rascasse and Guelles were operating properly).

We were meant to be doing xmas lunch there, but now that PAs have been included it's been moved to the Brasserie. Doncha just luurve egalitarianism!

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

The ViaMichelin website claim 7.5 million visitors per month. The whole of the European Michelin Guide has been available free-to-access online for a long time. I've noticed that the performance of the site has significantly improved over the last year and along side each restaurant entry (which is the full Michelin guide entry plus map) there is a 'my opinion' tab. Providing feedback to them has never been easier - those sad little envelopes that fell out of the book are a thing of the past. If would be nice if Which? followed suit rather than requiring the full subscription to Which? Online for access.

I'd be amazed (and disappointed) if resources on the internet didn't form part of their research....

The  ViaMichelin website claim 7.5 million visitors per month.  The whole of the European Michelin Guide has been available free-to-access online for a long time.  I've noticed that the performance of the site has significantly improved over the last year and along side each restaurant entry (which is the full Michelin guide entry plus map) there is a 'my opinion' tab.  Providing feedback to them has never been easier - those sad little envelopes that fell out of the book are a thing of the past.  If would be nice if Which? followed suit rather than requiring the full subscription to Which? Online for access.

I'd be amazed (and disappointed) if resources on the internet didn't form part of their research....

thanks for that, i use viamichelin a lot for planning trips and didn't realise you could provide feedback that way.

cheers

gary

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering when the new guide comes out? Usually around this time aint it??

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

should be in around a week or so, maybe less. Any guesses.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

got one last year i think.

even so, one to two in consecutive years is rare.

hibiscus was at 2 star standard for a while before it was upgraded.

get the feeling now michelin have to be seen to be quicker to respond to changes/public opinion than before as there is much more competition from other guides/internet etc.

hence fat duck 3 stars which makes no sense at all hahaha :laugh:

if there's any justice, one apiece for anthony's and no 3. then cue loads of press hailing leeds as the new gastronomic centre. :wink:

cheers

gary