• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saving/Reusing Pasta water

Gul_Dekar

Usually, if I want starchy pasta water, it's because I'm cooking pasta so I don't see much of a point in saving it but if you have uses in mind, go ahead and freeze it in ice cube trays in whatever size you anticipate needing.  I have large ones that are ~ 1/3 cup and small ones that hold 1 oz/2T.  You can pop them out and store in a zip top bag if you like and they should be OK as long as ice cubes last. 

• Like 1

I was just wondering the same thing because I cook past in larger batches than I eat at once. Seems like it would be handy to have in the fridge for a quick lunch.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

47 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I was just wondering the same thing because I cook past in larger batches than I eat at once. Seems like it would be handy to have in the fridge for a quick lunch.

Frequently, I cook small batches of pasta and find that a little more starchy water would be helpful for certain sauces.

... Shel

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Usually, if I want starchy pasta water, it's because I'm cooking pasta so I don't see much of a point in saving it but if you have uses in mind, go ahead and freeze it in ice cube trays in whatever size you anticipate needing.  I have large ones that are ~ 1/3 cup and small ones that hold 1 oz/2T.  You can pop them out and store in a zip top bag if you like and they should be OK as long as ice cubes last. 

Thanks.  I use deli containers for some storage items, and the small ones would work well for this as they stack nicely in the freezer.

• Like 1

... Shel

I think it would be ridiculous to save water that pasta has been cooked in.  What about the salt content and how do you adjust the taste of whatever it is you might currently be cooking?

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think it would be ridiculous to save water that pasta has been cooked in.  What about the salt content and how do you adjust the taste of whatever it is you might currently be cooking?

My question as been answered. You're bringing up another issue.

Perhaps you're overthinking this.  The only use planned is to add some additional starch to pasta water to make some very specific pan sauces for certain pasta dishes that benefit from starchy pasta water.  

As noted in the discussion, I sometimes make a small amount of pasta (of the type) which doesn't generate sufficient starch to make the sauce to my desired result.  For example, DeCecco produces noticeably less starch water than a comparable Benedetto Cavalieri or Ligouri. There's a dried egg pasta that I use that cooks in a short time and produces very little starch. Sometimes I make whole wheat pasta ... poor starch production.

Having done a variation of this before, I am not concerned about salt levels.  All my pasta is cooked with the same salt level.

I just needed to know if the residual water would store well/safely in the fridge/freezer.  With that, I have a backup of needed starch water when I need it. 

• Like 3

... Shel

Regarding current discussion for Shel_B, I'm sure it's already been explored  to just add a little flour/starch/gelatin slurry (or just use direct starch) rather than wasting all that freezer space to add a little more thickening agent.

On the original topic, my aunts and their past generations would make soup from the left-over pasta water, especially when they made fresh egg-pasta or halušky/gnocchi, I think even potato water, too -- I've done that a few times, really good for the vegetable soups like a light garlic soup with sage and a fried egg, cauliflower, dumpling, other root veges, etc. 

Being eco friendly or save water or create saucier sauces, simply make the pasta "risotto" style, where it's just enough water so it's all done when you make it and you have a really nice cooked slurry.  I find myself doing this a lot especially when in sustenance mode.