• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Series Food

I'm still putting champagne on ice. It'll be glorious to toast the National League.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm still putting champagne on ice.  It'll be glorious to toast the National League.

I knew we could count on YOU to be fair-minded! :smile:

Let's see: depending on tonight's outcome, the dish of the day will either be rocket salad, or St. Louis ribs.

Now it's the home team, Astros, but I cheered every game for Arizona a few years ago when they took the pennant from the Yankees. :wink:

Fajitas here tonight and zippiest jalapeno refried beans.

So now I'll have to choose either clam chowder, those St. Louis ribs, or a big pot of killer chili for the end meet. Anything but Yankee stew. :laugh:

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

St. Louis Ribs!!!!!

Cardinals take it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Yes! This was a good year for the Cardinals and I am so pleased to see their efforts bear fruit (see? food again!) :hmmm:

St Louis ribs it is!!

So, between that and the Red Sox, the meal will feature all manner of red foods! Beets and tomatoes, and red beans and rice .... and.... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Now it's the home team, Astros, but I cheered every game for Arizona a few years ago when they took the pennant from the Yankees. :wink:

Fajitas here tonight and zippiest jalapeno refried beans.

So now I'll have to choose either clam chowder, those St. Louis ribs, or a big pot of killer chili for the end meet. Anything but Yankee stew. :laugh:

Corrected that baseball fart. :blink: I was thinkin' Arizona and the Cardinals were scoring -- again.

Oh hell!

Go Sox!

Looks like I have to do some Boston baked beans and Boston brown bread -- to go with the crow. :raz::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

While watching Game 1, we did the make your own pizza thing this Saturday with a large group of folks, and it went well. It's fun for a party and can be healthy or junkie depending on what you want to put on your pie. One person put pineapple and prosciutto over marinara, another made a white pie of ricotta, goat cheese, bacon and peas. Different strokes....

One thing that came about from this dinner...I bought some italian canned tomatoes (they claim to be from San Marzano) with the DOPS marking on them from my local Shaw's (they have a huge italian section-2 aisles). I opened a can of Muir Glen tomatoes and did a taste comparison. The italian ones were better...less acidic with more tomato flavor. I was surprised because up to this point I thought Muir Glen were my favorite. But these were especially good and after I crushed them up were great on pizza.

I plan on experimenting with boiled peanuts as a snack for tomorrow night's game.

So after a good bit of internet-mining, my wife and I have come up with very little about any snacks or concessions of any kind at Boston Ball Parks around 1918. The best we could do is take a hint from that old chestnut by Jack Norworth, written in 1908:

"Take me out to the ball game,

Take me out with the crowd.

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,

I don't care if I never get back,

Let me root, root, root for the home team,

If they don't win it's a shame.

For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,

At the old ball game."

... so that's what we're having tonight! :laugh:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

We're having our little homage to Jake Wirth's and Lock-Ober's tonight with weisswurst, sauerkraut, potato salad and pretzel rolls. However, I won't feel like having a bottle of Champage if tonight is the night. I'm just hoping for the big paradigm shift from the albatross around the Red Sox neck of the Curse of the Bambino to the Yankees who, for as long as there is baseball, executed the biggest collapse the game has ever seen. Maybe the biggest one ever in the history of professional sports. But it ain't over 'til it's over.

Bloviatrix,

I actually have a serious answer about what wine to serve with crow. Last night I made homemade chicken noodle soup (does that count as crow?) and served it up with some wine leftover from the weekend's festivities. It was a pinot noir and it went very well with chicken noodle soup and crusty french bread.

My hommage to the BoSox:

One more win and...

The Bambino's curse is reversed

We can forget that the '86 MVP was almost Bruce Hurst

Buckner's debt is reimbursed

The Birds join the Yankees for a ride in the hearse; and

I'll stop writing verse

Trish

Enjoy your victory while you can. Toast with champage. You never know if you'll see another one in your lifetime. :raz:

Pigs can fly, hell is frozen, the slipper finally fits,

and Impossible Dreams really can come true.

The Red Sox have won the World Series

Boston Globe tonight ...

Congratulations to a superb effort and to Theo Epstein, youngest general manager in baseball history! ... now my appetite for clam chowder has increased exponentially! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Be prepared for a never-ending barrage of peons, homages, hymns and Hallelujahs about the Red Sox. This victory is special. Coming from a life-long fan who waited since as long as I began following the team as a little pisher in the days of Williams, Dom DiMaggio, Doerr, Pesky and the others, it was worth the heartbreaks. This is the baseball Gods reward for a half-century of being denied. These last eight games are the sweetest that have ever been in professional American sport; sweeter than any of the best desserts I have ever had.

Robert: It must be sweet. I, too remember the Williams, Pesky et. al. Red Sox. As well I remember the '45 Cubs (my team as a kid) and their loss to the Tigers. Nicholson, Cavaretta, Hack et. al. I hope the Cubs are the next in line for sweetness and I also hope that its in the pretty near future.

Dale, I remember Stan Hack when he managed my hometown Springfield Cubs, a bad team in the International League. Phil Cavaretta was there on his way out as a player. I think the best young talent they could come up with were Warren Hacker and Ransom Jackson. Maybe this has been the reason for my always keeping track of the Cubs. I, too, want to see them win it all soon. It's the only long-term jinx left. At least the Red Sox got into four World Series before they won one.

Oh yes, the food at Pynchon Park was pretty bad. Friendly's had just atarted as a local small chain, so I guess that's where we went before the games when my mom didn't make dinner.

Be prepared for a never-ending barrage of peons, homages, hymns and Hallelujahs about the Red Sox. This victory is special.

I was at game 7 (only) of the 1987 series when the Twins won. It was so special I pucked (no beer, no nothing, just pure and unadulterated excitement) in the stands. It was the Twins first series win EVER. A memory I store up there with the births of my kids :shock: .

Most of those I know in the Twin Cities were rooting for the Sox.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"