• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Series Food

Out the window. Guess we're going to be having shiva bagels tomorrow.

My condolences NYC. Can one eat Marlin?

Yeah, its an edible fish, related to the swordfish.

That's what I figured, but I can't seem to recall ever seeing Marlin on a menu.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 11 months later...

The Division Series begin tomorrow night. Do you have any traditional foods that you eat while watching the games?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The Division Series begin tomorrow night.  Do you have any traditional foods that you eat while watching the games?

Thanks for the reminder! Tomorrow is a busy day; a field trip for me with Peter's 3rd grade class, race home to get Heidi off the bus; Paul watch Diana play volleball seems to me an easy dinner.

Chili dogs! Cheap hot dogs, canned Hormel chili, chips, Coca-Cola for the kids, beerr the adults. Forgive me. We will sin tomorrow night. And cheer on the Minnesota Twins.

BTW, I have been to one World Series game. Only one. It would have been in 1987, 7th game. When the Twin took the series for the first time. It was grand. So grand I threw up, barely missing the woman in front of me.

Edited to add: if one wants a great story of how those tickets landed in my lap, let me know.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We really don't have specific foods we eat during the playoffs -- unless we're at the ballpark.

In the even the ALDS between the Yankees and Twins goes to sunday -- I'll be having cracker jacks in the first inning and a kosher 'dog and knish at about the 4th.

I'm hoping the Yankees will wrap the series up before that and we won't be using our tickets. :biggrin:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Mmmm..... "baseball".........I've heard that word.. perhaps in the old days while I was eating Sabrett hot-dogs, kraut and deli mustard on and squooshy rolls, all while drinking beer (I was underage back then but who cared) at Ebbett's Field in Brooklyn. And of course, I was the enemy then because I was a Giants fan.

Ah well.....never liked baseball but I continue to enjoy Sabrett hot-dogs, especially with lots of spicy onions piled on. Would you believe that last year, the morning after a superb meal at Boulud during a several day visit to NY, I stopped at a hot-dog cart on Fifth Avenue and ate three of those.

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

Would you believe that last year, the morning after a superb meal at Boulud during a several day visit to NY, I stopped at a hot-dog cart on Fifth Avenue and ate three of those.

You're in good company. The cover photo of one of Boulud's books shows him standing on a sidewalk eating a hot dog. :biggrin:

Mrs JPW always celebrated the start of the season with a product from the hometown of baseball (Cooperstown,NY) Ommegang, generally the Rare Vos. Works for the playoffs too, especially when her Atlanta Braves inevitably come up short. It gives her something to cry into.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Since it's food related....

Sen. Chuck Schumer of NY and Sen. Norm Coleman of MN have made a friendly bet on the ADLS:

If the Twins win, Schumer owes Coleman Nathan hotdogs. If the Yanks win, Coleman has promised Walleyed Pike.

Warming up the griddle right now and defrosting a few fine hot dogs; a Thumann's, a Best's (from the plant with natural casing), and a Liehs & Steigerwald German frank shipped in from Syracuse. To be enjoyed with a couple of Pilsner Urquells. Only thing better would be if it was the Mets in the Playoffs.

John the hot dog guy

A big bowl of Boeuf B, hugged between my knees.A bottle of decent red, a manly shoulder to lean on. And a paper towel to wipe off the screen when he disputes the call.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Norm Coleman of MN

OHHHHHH... norm coleman whose first cousin is the infamous sid"i stole the shirts"

rosenberg - sportscaster on imus' show.

go (red)sox. chowder, potato salad and lobster rolls. :biggrin::biggrin:

p.s. i'm married to a freakin' yankees fan...for 22 1/2 years. but i do love him. :wub:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Go Astros! Chili dogs with reprehensible cereal weeeners and canned chili are probably our best playoff eats, since inevitable heartburn is such a perfect palimpsest of inevitable heartbreak.

Go Astros! Make me eat these words.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

While watching my beloved Yankees lose last night :sad: I made the following: cheeseburgers, salad, and french fries. Would have made dogs, but hubby's belly was a little off, and he didn't think dogs with saurkraut would help.

On a baseball related note, my husband and I traditionally play hooky on opening day to watch the game at home. Then we always have dogs, beer, etc.

While watching my beloved Yankees lose last night :sad: I made the following: cheeseburgers, salad, and french fries. Would have made dogs, but hubby's belly was a little off, and he didn't think dogs with saurkraut would help.

On a baseball related note, my husband and I traditionally play hooky on opening day to watch the game at home. Then we always have dogs, beer, etc.

Edited to add: Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Mulcahy (log)

Double posting will not bring the Yankees any more luck as they will fall to the Twinkies in three - sorry 'bout that! :rolleyes:

My baseball mania resurfaced (rooted for Mantle as a kid in NYC) when I married a Boston Girl. (I can't believe I still believe...) So we have been keeping fat kosher brats on a simmer during the game (fits in a roll when cut in half, lengthwise) and I make a mound of coleslaw from the recent texas issue of Saveur.

When Anaheim has gone home, we will switch to either BBQ shortribs (my hand ground spice rubbed ribs sit at 250 for a few hours) with Boston Baked Beans, or Lobster Rolls with chowder. We are foaming at the mouth over Curt, Pedro, Manny and Papi so it might have to be both... and a case of local Gearys Pale Ale, a tasty Portland microbrew, to wash it all down.

Since Boston has gone the distance so rarely, no one around here HAS a tradition of what to eat during the final series. I am up for starting one. :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

The Division Series begin tomorrow night.  Do you have any traditional foods that you eat while watching the games?

my nails.

go yankees!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

It's official:

Pizza and Beer while we watch the Angels' wings get clipped this afternoon...

*snip!snip!snip!*

Perhaps our Za should have a SoCal flavour to it? How about Nopalitos and Anaheim Peppers???

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

In DC, we may someday know that feeling again -

Living roughly equidistant from Chicago and Detroit, patiently awaiting a Tigers-Cubs World Series, I empathize.

But if that ever happens -- Chicago dogs and Coney Islands, diplomatically washed down with Bell's Amber Ale!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

As a Boston fan, I know how Twins fans feel after watching the come-from-behind Yankee win last night over fried chicken, garlic smashed potatos and delicata squash.

We begin the Series of all Series Tuesday at 8p so I took out my chowder base to thaw. I'll only need enough for three nights, of course...

Portland Food Map.com

If Yankees-Red Sox is a repeat of 2003, I'll be eating stadium dogs at game 7 (our season ticket plan allowed us tickets for one game per round. for some reason Blovie chose the final game of each)