• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

What Fun! Happened to catch the end of some show on Food Network last night documenting history of and all time favorite candy. If I recall correctly the top five included:

5 M & Ms (popular with soldiers in World War II)

4 Flavored Wax (fake lips, and wax bottles filled with sugar water)

3 Good & Plenties

2 Can't remember - sorry

1 Penny Candy (even though it's now more like 5 & 10 cent candy)

My candy favorites vary. Probably put Peanut M& Ms and Hershey's Milk Chocolate at the top of list. Like a good crunchy Butterfingers every once in a while. And for the holidays, a small box of Godiva chocolates!

Oh, can't forget peppermint lifesavors.

If you're a Kit Kat fan and find yourself in Norway, try Freia's Kvikk Lunsj. It's better than the British Kit Kat, and far better than the US Kit Kat, in particular in terms of the quality of the chocolate. The retro-coloured wrappers are also extremely cool.

Ah, comfort food of my young adulthood! ONLY ONE????

Back when I treated myself to 2 candy bars after lunch every day (20's) I would go in cycles: Clark Bar. Then Oh Henry. Then Peanut M&M. Then Mounds. Then Almond Joy. Then Snickers. Then Whatchamacallit (hershey thing, peanut crumble in chocolate). Then Hershey chocolate, then hershey almond......Making up for that sense of childhood deprivation :wink: (I wasn't really deprived, my parents just wanted me to have TEETH when I grew up!)

Nowadays I can really taste how much vanilla there is in American chocolate and I don't like it as much. (thankfuilly, because of that dratted metabolism slowdown that hits about age 30 and ramps uip every year....) :shock::blink:

And who could forget World's Finest Chocolate--the band candy we all loved to scarf! I remember when it was $1.00 a bar..... :rolleyes:

For a while I ate Harvest Gold Balance Bars, "sort of" like a Snickers but with more protein. Then I admitted to myself, "it's candy, get over it, it's all candy!!!!"

In my youth, the dark Charleston Chew and a Reggie Bar. Yums.

Blackblackblack Sharfenberger, whenever I can possibly get it, is a special treat.

A grand old standby, that they were kind enough to make in a 7 ouncer (as opposed to sticking a fork in my brother's eyeball to get the only two, teenytiny bars packed in the 'Hershey's Miniatures' bag...) Special Dark. :wub:

Anyone tried Sour Skittles?  Talk about sour - they will make your face do stuff that your face has never done before... :blink:

Love the sour skittles. They're one of the last hold outs for keeping "green = lime". I hate the "green = green apple" thing. It's just such a disappointment to grab a green sucker and have it be apple. But that's just me.

As for chocolate like candy bars, I love Mallo Cups. Awful hard to find though.

-therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

:smile:

At the moment, it's the Dove dark chocolate bar...primarily because I love cracking the local White Hen clerk up by referring to it as "my daily dose of blood pressure medicine."

:smile:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I love crunchies. I think they are English or something. But it's chocolate covered honeycomb and it is DIVINE. Hard to find though.  And I love Zero's also. Once again hard to find.

You never know what you will find with a Google search. The wording is always tricky. I kept getting a cookie recipe when looking for "crunchies". But put an "English candy" before the "crunchies" and you will get what you're looking for. Ta-Da!

Apparently, different companies make their own "crunchies".

Cadbury makes "Crunchies" which are for sale here.

And a bag of Irish mini "Crunchies" can be ordered here.

Not sure which "crunchies" were the ones you tasted...

And I got yer Zero's right here: Zero's on groovycandies.com

Yer welcome! :biggrin:

Edited to add: Anyone looking for candy from their youth can try this place first.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

As for chocolate like candy bars, I love Mallo Cups.  Awful hard to find though.

Mallo Cups

Edited to add: Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I was reminded of one of my all but forgotten favorites - the Zero bar, by a previous post.

I usually only eat candy at holidays - Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween etc. In the summer I'm more inclined to an ice cream cone or cookies.

Until, the other day, I was drawn to the full aisle's expanse of candy at the drugstore. There in its silver and blue wrapper, the long forgotten Zero bar jumped out at me. (This is in New England, not the Midwest.) I couldn't even wait. I ate it in the car on the way home from work!

Problem was it was too sweet. I almost couldn't finish it. Guess some things are better left in the memory bank. :sad: Doubt I'll ever crave one of those again.

I like two bars that have ceased to be - Milkshake and Caravelle.

Alas, yes, they have both gone to Candy Bar Heaven.

You can catch a glimpse of the Caravelle wrapper here, though I'm sure that's poor consolation for you.

Edited to add: here's another Caravelle wrapper...looks like it's from later years.

The Milkshake (I remember it, too!) is on the list of discontinued food items from our youth found here. I was saddened to see Sugar Mommas on the list. :sad:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...