• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

jhlurie

• 4 weeks later...

Ooooo... I am headed for Ireland in a couple of weeks. I will be on the lookout for these.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I like two bars that have ceased to be - Milkshake and Caravelle.

Alas, yes, they have both gone to Candy Bar Heaven.

You can catch a glimpse of the Caravelle wrapper here, though I'm sure that's poor consolation for you.

Edited to add: here's another Caravelle wrapper...looks like it's from later years.

The Milkshake (I remember it, too!) is on the list of discontinued food items from our youth found here. I was saddened to see Sugar Mommas on the list. :sad:

I remember the name Caravelle but don't remember the taste. Can someone describe it?

Milkshake, is there a picture of the wrapper out there, and can someone describe the taste?

Thanks!

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

I guess I better get in line with the anti-sweet steak eaters, because Jinmyo's choice made me salivate. I would never miss chocolate if it quit existing tomorrow. As a kid I used to love Bonanno's Turkish Taffy & Sugar Babies, though. :cool:

Milkshake, is there a picture of the wrapper out there, and can someone describe the taste?

Here's a picture of the wrappers.

I seem to remember eating these when I was a kid. I think we kept them in the freezer. I vaguely recall a Milky Way-ish kind of taste, but can't really say for sure.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's a picture of the wrappers.

I seem to remember eating these when I was a kid. I think we kept them in the freezer. I vaguely recall a Milky Way-ish kind of taste, but can't really say for sure.

I don't think they had caramel in them though, did they?

I recall something akin to a 3 Musketeers, but a smaller bar and the interior was much firmer then either 3 Musketeers or Milky Way...I also think they had a slight malty taste as well.

I liked 'em.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

When I was growing up at, "Fort Apache", in the Bronx, there was a Candy Bar available that i've never found anywhere else.

It was a "Delicia Bar", covered with a thin Chocolate cover, the inside was paper thin wafers, each covered with a thin layer of Marzipan. It was popular with grown ups and even kids who enjoyed the taste, but didn't appreciate it's modest size. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

When I was growing up at, "Fort Apache", in the Bronx, there was a Candy Bar available that i've never found anywhere else.

It was a "Delicia Bar", covered with a thin Chocolate cover, the inside was paper thin wafers, each covered with a thin layer of Marzipan. It was popular with grown ups and even kids who enjoyed the taste, but didn't appreciate it's modest size. Irwin

Sadly, the Delicia Bar is no longer being made. Here's the list of favorites that are no longer with us:

Click here.

I recall something akin to a 3 Musketeers, but a smaller bar and the interior was much firmer then either 3 Musketeers or Milky Way...I also think they had a slight malty taste as well.

You're correct. They didn't have any caramel in them. Weren't they flatter, as well? More "boxy" than "bar-y"?

Tim Oliver

You're correct. They didn't have any caramel in them. Weren't they flatter, as well? More "boxy" than "bar-y"?

Yes, absolutely...that's what I meant by a smaller bar, (realizing, of course, that most candy bars were smaller in the past) the actual dimensions would be more akin to a current day....uh, Reese's Fast Break is the only thing I can think of that is close to the size - - or a Twix (just a single Twix, that is) with a slight bit more girth on all sides.

My main recollection was the consistency of the "paste" (nougat) - - quite firm almost bordering on chewy - - and there definitely was a bit of malt taste. I recall that because I did not like hand-dipped ice cream malts at the time, but I did notice yet did not mind the slight tinge in the candy bar.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Sadly, the Delicia Bar is no longer being made. Here's the list of favorites that are no longer with us:

Click here.

Toliver: Thanks for the info, as well as the nostalgic link. Now if I could find who made the candy, plus actual ingredients i'd try to put together a similar snack bar. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Toliver: Thanks for the info, as well as the nostalgic link. Now if I could find who made the candy, plus actual ingredients i'd try to put together a similar snack bar. Irwin

Ironically, there is an Italian candy company called Delicia. Their name kept popping up when I was trying to Google "Delicia Bar". I'm pretty sure they make candy bars among other things (saw gift baskets featuring their candy).

I mention this only because the marzipan feature of the original candy bar sounds very European to me (marzipan never really hit it big here in the U.S.) and you might try web-searching for the Delicia site to see if they make a similar candy bar. You may have to translate it through either Google or Babel if it's in Italian.

And if they do have something similar, it's possible you might find it where ever you are located thanks to Italian deli's/import stores.

Just a thought...

Tim Oliver

I thought this was about candy bars....that we ALL know. God, what a pompous bunch you all are.

Not all candy bars are available everywhere.

This is a world-wide forum, afterall.

Regarding the comments about Reese's, I admire their attempts to broaden their product line. Unfortunately, I didn't like either their new "touch of honey" cups (too sweet) or the "inside-out" cups (peanut butter on the outside, chocolate on the inside...you want me to eat less chocolate? :huh: ).

I haven't been able to find either their white chocolate cups or their dark chocolate cups...not sure if the window of opportunity has passed on these limited edition candies.

Tim Oliver

For that 3pm must-have-chocolate-NOW fix, I'd have to go with either plain M&Ms or Nestle Crunch, with the occasional Reese's cup thrown in for that chocolate-plus-salt thing.

Crunchies and Flakes are good too, and the white chocolate Flake covered in milk chocolate (can't remember what they call it) is most excellent. Don't have access to those at work though. :sad:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I thought this was about candy bars....that we ALL know. God, what a pompous bunch you all are.

What's pompous about it? The title of the thread is What's Your Favorite Candy Bar? not What's Your Favorite Candy Bar That Everyone In All of the Countries Represented On egullet.com Has Heard Of? :wink:

Are Charleston Chews still around? I loved those, especially the small size I got for Halloween.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme