• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

it's not a matter of leftovers being a problem--it's more like trying to make sure i have leftovers and don't drink a bottle of wine every night...

Uhhhh, yeah. Gets old going to bed at 10 pm once you get to 2/3's or so. Jonathan has screwed my bank account and made me a candidate for Chit-Chat.

Drinking the Ravenswood now. Wow, what a wine for 17 bucks. Very refined zin.

Needs about 1hr before it shows anything, so open early, or better yet, open a split of something else first.

Perfect salve for my wounds-put down my best buddy of 15 yrs today, had to be done, but harder than I expected. Here's to you, Clancy.

that is a nice way of storing it for a little while.  i use those voss water bottles for this purpose, since they're 375 ml and i can just pour half the bottle in there right away and seal it up for the next day (for when i'm the only one drinking with dinner).

This is another one of those never-ending topics, but... I myself have found that just simple refrigeration works best in the short term. I've tried other methods, like nitrogen, vacuum, small containers, usw, but refrigeration yielded the best glass, come the next day. In retrospect, I've also come to believe this makes sense: the purpose of all these methods is to retard chemical reactions, and given the difficulty of *completely* taking oxygen out of the system, lowering the temperature would likely do that best.

Or possibly not, of course.

yeah--i should have clarified that i open the bottle, immediately pour half of it into a smaller bottle and throw that in the fridge. i drink the other half with dinner. i find that the half-bottle in the fridge lasts for several days before it changes too much.b

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Perfect salve for my wounds-put down my best buddy of 15 yrs today, had to be done, but harder than I expected. Here's to you, Clancy.

glepore:

:sad::sad::sad:

I'm so sorry. My sincerest condolences for Clancy. I'm certain he lived a long and happy life in your care. I shall raise a glass in his honor as well.

(((((hug)))))

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

glepore:

:sad::sad::sad:

I'm so sorry. My sincerest condolences for Clancy. I'm certain he lived a long and happy life in your care. I shall raise a glass in his honor as well.

(((((hug)))))

My condolences as well. The two you see in my avatar are with me now as I write. Sophie is getting old and I know she will not be with us much longer. I know you miss Clancy terribly and hope the good memories of your friend can bring you a smile

yeah--i should have clarified that i open the bottle, immediately pour half of it into a smaller bottle and throw that in the fridge.  i drink the other half with dinner.  i find that the half-bottle in the fridge lasts for several days before it changes too much.b

You know, this whole smaller bottle thing is a really really good idea. Much better than my plan of pouring duck fat on the leftover wine and making wine confit.

I can sympathize. Nico passed on a month ago today. Hasn't gotten any easier yet, sorry to say. I've tried to spend a lot more time and attention on Rupert: he's eleven himself, and I'm pretty scared.

I'll drink one to Clancy when drinkin' time next rolls 'round.

Hello Friends,

This is the first time I have ever posted a message on any website. I would like to thank all of you for your kind words on the progress we are making at the PLCB. There is still a lot we have to do, but we are making a lot of progress. The Chairman Selection program has taken a lot of time and commitment but it has been a labor of love and the positive comments keep me fighting for the consumer. Dee Costello has been doing a great job and I appreciate all your positive suggestions and support of her efforts. I look forward to participating in a Q&A session on this website next month. I have a lot of respect for Katie and the work she does and I look forward to the event. I too lost two labrador retrievers that were 13 and 15 less than two years ago and I am a dog lover. When I read your very warm post about losing Clancy and coming home and having the Ravenswood, I thought it was an appropriate time to say hello to everybody and offer you my condolences. Dogs and wine are two of my great loves. Thanks again for all of your kind words and positive encouragement of the reforms we have made and will continue making at the PLCB.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Newman

Chairman

Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board

it's not a matter of leftovers being a problem--it's more like trying to make sure i have leftovers and don't drink a bottle of wine every night...

Uhhhh, yeah. Gets old going to bed at 10 pm once you get to 2/3's or so. Jonathan has screwed my bank account and made me a candidate for Chit-Chat.

Drinking the Ravenswood now. Wow, what a wine for 17 bucks. Very refined zin.

Needs about 1hr before it shows anything, so open early, or better yet, open a split of something else first.

Hello Friends,

This is the first time I have ever posted a message on any website.

Mr. Chairman, (I always wanted to say that, although preferably not testifying before Congress...)

Thanks for making the leap into cyberspace with us! I look forward to your Q&A next month.

I'm sure I speak for many of the members of this little community when I extend my personal thanks for what you're doing at the PLCB. The Chairman's Selections alone have completely transformed my attitude toward the PA state stores, from grudging acceptance to eager enthusiasm. I actually like going into State Stores now, and browsing the website, and look forward to trying some of your picks.

Combined with the burgeoning BYOB scene here, it's a good time to be an enophile in PA. So again, thanks!

And also, my appreciation goes to Ms. Costello as well, both for her informative posts here and for some personal help some time ago, over a weekend, with some on-line ordering weirdness. You should be very proud of the level of service and good public outreach she's providing.

edited to add kudos.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Congrats on your first web post Mr Newman and welcome to cyberspace. I second the warm thoughts and hellos to the "Boss" and also must say that my attitude toward the PA system has had a 180 degree turnaround. As little as 5 years ago I prayed for a quick end to the state run system and now I must say I feel lucky to have it - with its mega bargaining power, great local service, improved ecommerce and an eminently component chairman at the helm. I look forward to even more great things to come and am glad to see you pop your head in here. Soon I will need the chairman's purchasing clout for more wine cellars after discovering all the great people and wines in this thread!!

:biggrin:

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Thanks for joining us here Mr. Newman. A man who admits to loving wine and dogs is aces in my book. I share the same loves. I too remember when visiting the state store was a Stalinist sort of experience. Being able to buy good wine at great prices in a pleasant store with helpful staff is a wonderful thing. We shared a bottle of the Ravenswood Zin with friends last night while our dogs watched.

Thanks all, I do appreciate the kind thoughts. Clancy had it about as good as it gets for a a Golden-3 kids who thought he was the best dog in the world, and some country acreage to roam about, chasing rabbits and whatnot.

Jon, believe me when I say thanks for all of us. I'm sooo happy that crotchety old Ed Holl (my law partner's father, if truth be told) handed you a defeat in that State Senate race, or we'd all be deprived of your taste and ability, and you'd be stuck powerbrokering in some dusty Senate chamber rather than enjoying the tastings as I'm sure you do. You're sorta my hero, escaping Obermyer, avoiding election, and landing my dream job, then doing better at it than any of us hoped. And a dog lover with a heart to boot. If only I could find a way outta law and into a passion...

an open letter to the Chairman

Mr. Newman,

I first moved to PA 1 1/2 years ago from Massachusetts. I thought THAT state had terrible liquor laws and selection. We being Puritans and all. I was astonished that PA had state stores that had crummy selections, stupid sales staff, and lousy hours.

My hat is off to you. Thanks for letting me buy a cork screw in a store that sells wine. It was just insanity that I couldn't before you came on board. Thanks for opening the stores on Sunday just in case I need to pick up a bottle for dinner. Thanks for bringing in winemakers for tastings. Thanks so very very much for the Chairman's Selections of really great wine as discount prices. Thanks for the Premium Stores that are worth the drive.

Now if only you can get better educated sales folks and maybe a few "super stores", I'll be so happy. I'm used to stores the size of Walmarts with a better selection than just ONE type of sake. Also can you do something about having to buy a case of beer at a time? That's just nuts. How come I can't buy a 6 pack of Sam Adams for a reasonable price? Can you also do something about being able to ship into PA from wineries? My state rep informs me that I can ship to the state store and they'll then be happy to give it to me, but that is also nuts since small wineries won't do that. Also, I would join the state wine club, but can you flat fee or discount the shipping prices?

Hope you read this,

Linda

Wine Junkie in Quakertown

Overall, I'm a happier camper than when I moved here :)

Hello Friends,

This is the first time I have ever posted a message on any website.

Thanks for making the leap into cyberspace with us! I look forward to your Q&A next month.

I'm sure I speak for many of the members of this little community when I extend my personal thanks for what you're doing at the PLCB. The Chairman's Selections alone have completely transformed my attitude toward the PA state stores, from grudging acceptance to eager enthusiasm. I actually like going into State Stores now, and browsing the website, and look forward to trying some of your picks.

Combined with the burgeoning BYOB scene here, it's a good time to be an enophile in PA. So again, thanks!

And also, my appreciation goes to Ms. Costello as well, both for her informative posts here and for some personal help some time ago, over a weekend, with some on-line ordering weirdness. You should be very proud of the level of service and good public outreach she's providing.

edited to add kudos.

i'll second everything philadining says here. welcome! i hope you'll have a few minutes to participate now and then outside of the q&a as well.

not sure where else to post this, folks, but i figure here is as good as any place. i was down in south philly at the shopping center at snyder and weccacoe yesterday and noticed yet more construction, including a big ol' state store, with a sign that said 'premium collection and outlet store' coming soon. so we won't have to head up to franklin mills for the big bottles of cheap booze. nice!

My thanks to the Chairman for making the leap into cyberspace to join us and for his kind words. I'm certain I speak for everyone when I say we're all very excited to have him, both here in the PA Forum and for the Q & A session I am arranging with his office for April. Let try and save our questions for then, so we can keep the Q & A lively and active, as I know it will be. I'm certain we've all had a lot of time to think of some things about the PLCB that we've always wanted to know about.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

First, and most importantly, heya Mr. Chairman! Congratulations on a good job so far, and I hope to hear more from you around these parts.

Also can you do something about having to buy a case of beer at a time? That's just nuts.  How come I can't buy a 6 pack of Sam Adams for a reasonable price?  Can you also do something about being able to ship into PA from wineries?  My state rep informs me that I can ship to the state store and they'll then be happy to give it to me, but that is also nuts since small wineries won't do that.

I'm pretty sure that these are matters of state law: cf. the legislation, defeated this fall, to expand beer sales in Pennsylvania. So the person you want to contact is your legislator.

'99 Nardi Brunello

Dark ruby with plums and smoke on the nose, very plummy with good acidity, and a dry smoky finish. Very nice.

Best,

Mike

Thanks for posting that, Mike. That will be the next bottle I will try to sample while it is still on many store shelves. I opened the Ravenswood Zinfandel yesterday as that seemed to be the going "ode to clancy" :sad: . Very nice - was at the Franklin Mills outlet today for the first time and picked up a couple more bottles. My wife is partial to Zinfandel it seems and she enjoyed it alot.

I also picked up a couple of bottles of D'anenberg Coppermine Road Cab 1999 from the ecommerce website. I had heard some nice things about it. Not an every day bargain wine by any means but maybe for a nice dinner with friends at a BYOB at some point in the future that calls for a "big" full bodied wine. If anyone has had this particular cabernet, I would be eager to hear your impressions.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

First I want to express my condolences as well on the loss of Clancy, I hope your family is recovering from the lost of your beloved pet.

They do say out of every tragedy some good will come…I’m glad to see Mr. Newman joined in on our discussions. Get your questions ready for the Q & A he is working on with Katie for April. I’m sure there is going to be a hot topic when it comes around.

Thanks for the Premium Stores that are worth the drive.

Also, I would join the state wine club, but can you flat fee or discount the shipping prices? 

Hope you read this,

Linda

Wine Junkie in Quakertown

Overall, I'm a happier camper than when I moved here :)

Linda, I understand that it will be less of a drive for you in the near future, I hear a Premium Collection store is coming to Quakertown later this year!

As for the Wine Connection, Pennsylvania's wine club, there are no shipping charges on the monthly (or every other month) packages. There are no sign up fees either and you can cancel at any time. The wines we’ve shipped out in the past year + have been very good! However, I have a bias since the Wine Connection and the selections on our web site are my passion (job).

After a seemingly never ending day at the restaurant, I've come home and decided to crack open a bottle of wine and have a glass. I'd almost forgotten about this bottle of 1999 Hanna Bismarck Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon I purchased a short while ago. This is some incredibly rich Cabernet. I'd forgotten the price but the PLCB website tells me I paid $19.99 for it (yes - sometimes I do treat myself on an odd Monday :wink:) and it was well worth the cost of admission.

Dense color and intense flavors of black cherry, mocha, cigar box and a hint of herbs and vegetal in the background. Tannins definitely softened around the edges from some time in oak. Finish goes on for a full half minute or so. Having looked up the tasting notes on the winery website, I suspect I detected the green bell pepper flavor from the 9% Cab Franc in the blend. There's also a wee bit of Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot as well. Apparently the vines for this wine are grown at the highest altitudes in Sonoma (1400-2600 feet) and are on slopes that have very shallow soil. Wine is historically better from places where the vines are just ekeing out an existence and struggling to put down roots, get enough water and sunshine, etc. It makes the plants work harder and concentrate the juices in the fruit. End result is better wine. This is a fine example of that.

I'm going to have to save half this bottle and have a big honking slab of meat for dinner tomorrow with it, just because. This wine makes me crave a steak that will still scream when I cut into it. Yowza!

There seems to be a little bit of this wine still sprinkled about, so go jump on some if you can find it in a store you can get to. There seems to be a boatload of it in Lackawanna County. And the same wine purchased by a restaurant as an SLO item is going for $64!!! Damn!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just finished a bottle of the Sequoia Grove '01 and its great.  So if there is still some out there I suggest you pick up a case before its all gone.

Best,

Mike

Haven't tried that yet - will get a sample bottle today. Thanks.

evan

Dough can sense fear.

opened a  bottle of the Saintsbury PN. Nice bright cherry with a dry finish. I'm going broke all because of the chairman's selections. Hope I have lots of company.

Katie hooked a few of us up with some of that Saintsbury Pinot the other night, and it was indeed quite nice. I think "bright cherry" hits it on the head!

I grabbed a few bottles of the Vision Pinot that was also a Chairman's Selection, and it was pretty good, but a bit edgier than the Saintsbury.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com