• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultimate Peanut butter sandwich topic

jackal10

Abra's blog confession of a penut butter snack inspires me to ask about the ultimate peanut butter sandwich.

Mine (in order of assembly):

Sourdough bread, lightly toasted

Smear of Marmite (adds umani, salt, depth)

Peanut butter, spread thick. Chunky not smooth

Homemade grape jelly

Heinz Sandwich Spread (OK, I'll allow Heinz Salad Cream, or a well flavoured, fairly vineagary mayo, but not Hellmans - too bland)

No top bread

eat over sink

Mine, in order of assembly:

Some kind of hearty wheat bread with lots of seeds,nuts, etc, toasted

Chunky peanut butter,spread medium

Lots of cherry preserves, more cherries than jelly

Another slice of toasted bread

You're making me hungry. I like PBJ many ways, but I like this way so much that I never make any other kind.

Toasted Egg Bread

Crunchy Jif

Mayhaw Jelly

Ruffles regular potato chips (only time I ever eat chips, really)

Large Glass of whole milk

A perfect meal.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Black Russian or pumpernickel bread, Normandy cultured butter, freshly ground chunky peanut butter, slices of ten-year cheddar, radish sprouts or thin slices of radish. Roasted garlic optional.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh, this is giving me lots of wonderfully peculiar sandwich ideas. I love peanut butter, and eat some every day. I suppose that's an addiction, right? I grind my own peanut butter at the store. I love it on thick-sliced, very dense and hearty whole grain bread. A good dark honey is one of my favorite additions, like Corbezzolo or buckwheat honey, but I also use all sorts of jams, and even Thai sweet chili sauce. As a kid my favorite was peanut butter on what we then called "French" bread, with hot cocoa. As I teenager I loved grilled cheese with peanut butter. And I still eat peanut butter on apple slices, or spread on a banana instead of bread, too. Some things you just never outgrow!

Wow, Jinmyo, I've never thought about cheddar or garlic with peanut butter, but that sounds delicious.

My current standbye:

Flax seed roll

Chunky Soy Nut Butter

Light sprinkle of salt, cayenne, and splenda

(it is really far better than it sounds)

sometimes I add a bit of tahini too

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Sitting here, listening to my daughter go over her harp repetorie for a wedding this afternoon, drinking my coffee and eating a thick slice of warm home-made bread slathered with Skippy chuncky peanut butter topped with home-made Seville orange marmalade.

"Who could ask for anythin g more...." :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

And actually, just peanut butter on some rye toast is pretty fine.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Rye toast; crunchy natural pb; bacon; sliced tomato in season; pinch of salt; rye toast.

If no pb is available (horrors!), cream cheese is a fine substitute.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Black Russian or pumpernickel bread, Normandy cultured butter, freshly ground chunky peanut butter, slices of ten-year cheddar, radish sprouts or thin slices of radish. Roasted garlic optional.

The radishes are brilliant. Thanks! My favorite is mayo, pickles and bacon -- banana optional.

Squeat

Edit to add: NO creamy peanut butter and NO SUGAR in the peanut butter! Bleah!

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

As a kid growing up, we certainly ate many strange combinations out of our farm pantry. These sandwiches remind me of that. I used to dote on dark (burnt) fresh bread toast, butter, peanut butter, sweet onion slices and liverwurst.

Peanut butter mixes with horseradish too, if they're fresh.

I'm a traditionalist as well:

Buttermilk bread

Skippy Super Chunk

Marionberry butter

A sprinkling of unsalted chopped peanuts is a nice garnish

Glass of milk

Ahh.

:smile:

I've never been able to eat creamy peanut butter. My grandmother used to make these horrible white bread-margarine-creamy PB sandwiches and they smelled revolting. :blink:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Two slices of a hearty bread, probably homemade as I do a lot of baking, lightly toasted.

Each slice spread with home made peanut butter (or half cashew butter)

Add to and press into the PB on one or both slices the following:

crumbled very crisp bacon

toasted onion bits or carmelized onion

toasted seeds, either sesame, sunflower or pumpkin

To one slice add a layer of bread and butter pickles (also homemade) well drained.

Place the other slice on the one with the pickles, press down and cut diagonally into quarters.

Excellent with a cup of strong, black tea...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Marionberry butter

I didn't realize he made butter! Does it have crack in it? :unsure:

Why do you think I like it so much? :laugh:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Marionberry butter

I didn't realize he made butter! Does it have crack in it? :unsure:

Clear your cards, folks, we have a winner!

As for me, a simple PB&J of Skippy or Jiff peanut butter, chunky or smooth, depending on mood, relative humidity, time of day in Indiana, and whether or not I want chunky or smooth peanut butter. Smucker's gelatinous strawberry product. Two pieces of Arnold's "Hearty Classics" Healthy* Multigrain bread. Cut on the diagonal. Three slices if it's my work lunch, with the third seperating the ingrediants. Maybe a side of Spaghetti-Os with hot sauce, perhaps chips, if they are availible.

-- C.S.

* Wait, this stuff is good for you? Eh, whatever, it's pretty tasty, for store bread.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Alex, I'll trade ya one of mine for one of yours! Deal?

Deal. FedEx overnight?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Did anyone ever notice that a peanut butter sandwich made with a piece of bread folded in half tastes completely different from one made with two pieces of bread?

:blink: