• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Quotes

yellow truffle

also from annie hall (the "djoo eat" one is very popular in my house too)

There's an old joke. Uh, two elderly women are at a Catskills mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know, and such small portions." Well, that's essentially how I feel about life. Full of loneliness and misery and suffering and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly.

from Sleeper

Dr. Melik: [puzzling over list of items sold at Miles' old health-food store] ... wheat germ, organic honey and... tiger's milk.

Dr. Aragon: Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.

Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?

Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.

Dr. Melik: Incredible!

edit: for quotation marks in header

from Bullets Over Broadway

Eden Brent: There you are. Mr. Purcell, you have been stealing our dog yummies and eating them.

Warner Purcell: Absolutely not. That's an outrageous suggestion.

Eden Brent: Then let me see in your pockets.

Warner Purcell: Would I eat dog food?

Eden Brent: You'd eat anything that didn't eat you first, you big fat pot of helium.

i adore (old) woody allen

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

"Who buys Italian meat anyway? You think my wife buys Italian meat? She goes down to A & P, picks up a lamb chop wrapped in cellophane, opens a can of peas - and that's dinner, boy!"
- spoken by Jerry Paris as Tommy - - from Marty

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Death: It was the salmon mousse.

Monty Python, Meaning of Life

Gets quoted a lot around my house.

also

Waiter: It's wah-fair thin

Same movie.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Bridget: What are we going to do about this dinner, then?

Mark: We have blue soup to start, orange pudding to end, and, well, for a main course you have, uh, congealed green gunge.

Bridget Jones' Diary

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

"Uhh, excuse me, Flo?!..... Whats the soup de Jour?" "Its the soup of the day." "Uhmmm that sounds good, I think I'll have that."

You guess it :biggrin:

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

"Uhh, excuse me, Flo?!..... Whats the soup de Jour?"                    "Its the soup of the day."    "Uhmmm that sounds good, I think I'll have that."

You guess it :biggrin:

Errm...Dumb and Dumber?

I don't think this was posted with the other Goodfellas quotes.

"The other night I ordered spaghetti with marinara sauce. I got noodles with ketchup."

The defining line in the downfall of a tragic (anti)hero

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Jackie Chan getting thrown onto an open truckload of durians in Super Cop:

Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!

Chow Yun Fat in obligatory Chinese restaurant fight scene in A Better Tomorrow 2:

For you, rice nothing but for us, rice just like my father and mother. Don't fuck with my family! If you have any dignity, apologise to the rice right now! OPEN YOUR FUCKING MOUTH AND EAT THE RICE!!!

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

My favorite all-time food-related exchange from The Sopranos:

Paulie Walnuts and Big Pussy Bonpensiero are in a Starbucks in New Jersey, looking for a couple of errant thieves who reportedly work there.

Paulie regards the coffee bar balefully:

Paulie: Fuckin' expresso, fuckin' cappuccino, we invented this shit.  And all these other cocksuckers are getting rich off of us.

Big Pussy: (sighs heavily, exasperated) Oh, again with the rape of the culture.

Another throwaway food-related line. Tony Soprano unpacks a bag of Chinese delivery and discovers, to his dismay, that they've gotten his order wrong. Again.

Motherfuckin' goddamn orange peel beef!

During the workweek, we eat a fair amount of takeout ourselves, and this has become the standard line in our house when a delivery order gets messed up.

And, finally, Tony, trying to wax philosophical but unable to come up precisely with "Revenge is a dish best served cold":

Revenge is like cold cuts...

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Keziah: No thanks, I'm a fruitarian.

Max: I didn't realize that.

William: And, ahm: what exactly is a fruitarian?

Keziah: We believe that fruits and vegetables have feeling so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that have actually fallen off a tree or bush - that are, in fact, dead already.

William: Right. Right. Interesting stuff. So, these carrots...

Keziah: Have been murdered, yes.

Notting Hill 1999

Hasn't anyone mentioned any quotes from Chocolat? I have the DVD and have to watch it to get them correct.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hasn't anyone mentioned any quotes from Chocolat?  I have the DVD and have to watch it to get them correct.

Chocolat quotes ...

It contains just the tiniest hint of chili pepper...to awaken the passions.

"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
Wille Wonka
Mrs. Doubtfire: I hope you bring cocktail sauce. She's got the crabs dear and I don't mean Dungeness.
:laugh: Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

"Revenge is a dish best served ice cold." Dinner Rush

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Moonstruck

Rose to Grandfather:

"Old man! If you give those dogs another piece of my food....I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!"

Loretta fixing a steak for Ronnie:

Ronnie: "I want it well done!"

Loretta: "You'll eat this one bloody... to feed your blood!"

From O Brother, Where Art Thou

Delmar to Everett

"Care for some gofer?"

Everett

"No thank you, Delmar. A third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without beddin' her back down."

Delmar

"Oh, you can have the whole thing. Me and Pete already had one. We ran across a whole gopher village."

Delmar

"This stew's awful good."

Washington Hogwallop

"Think so? I slaughtered this horse last Tuesday. I'm afraid she's starting to turn."

:blink:

edited to remove annoying tags that wouldn't close

Edited by dumplin (log)

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

Tampopo.

The entire movie.

No fair. You have to give us something. :wink:

Sorry about that! :unsure:

It's in Japanese but my favourite scene is when a gangster lay dying and his last words were about hunting boar that fed only on yams so when you pulled out their intestines... "they were like yam sausages!" He then laughs himself to death.

Another good quote from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" where her family stares at a bunt cake the new in-laws brought for the reception and says...

"...they...they brought us a cake with a hole in it!"

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

"Revenge is a dish best served ice cold." Dinner Rush

I was going to call you on this one, because I SWORE it was a Trekkism (seriously, a Klingong Proverb). However, an interesting search of the phrase proves a number of things:

From Word Wizard:

The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations lists 'Revenge is a dish that can be eaten cold' as a proverb of 19th-century origin, but gives no provenance.

You will find thousands of matches to your query on www.google.com, however - maybe some time spent there will prove fruitful.

Response from Erik Kowal (Reading - England)

]b\Eat the dish of revenge cold instead of hot.

Charles Lowe, Prince Bismarck (1885)

and

Vengeance is a dish that can be eaten cold.

James Payn, In Market Overt (1895)

Response from ( - )

Dan Rather just said that the expression is of Asian origin. 9/12/01

and he only said, '...Revenge is best eaten cold'

Dan Rather ALSO said on 9-11-01 that "revenge is dish best eaten cold" was from some general or some such high-ranking office. Who is right? I have always attributed the phrase to Shakespeare, but can find no documentation in Bartle's quotations or otherwise. It this quote Sicilian, Asian, from a general, an old Chinese proverb: it's quoted A LOT. Is there a historian out there who can answer this????

"Eat the dish of his revenge cold instead of hot." -- C. Lowe, Prince Bismarck (1885)

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." -- Modern permutation, origins unclear.

http://www.msgeek.com/fanfic/bestservedcold.html

Two different attributions, one being from the original French La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid -- Revenge is a dish which is eaten cold. This is attributed to Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderios de LaClos in Les Liasons Dangereuses (1782). http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/9/messages/813.html

The other is to an ancient Pathan proverb, with the Pathan's being a sect out of Afghanistan. http://www.i5ive.com/print_message.cfm/wor...es/40446/273836

Enjoy.

Pierre Ambroise Francois Choderios de LaClos (1741-1803)is credited with saying it first..in French

I wasn't aware of who first said it till now but a more apropros comment has NEVER been made...Tempers must cool down and we must look at things objectively before taking any rash actions...

From one of my personal favorites, Grosse Pointe Blank:

Waitress: What do you want in your omelette, sir?

Marty: Nothing in the omelette, nothing at all.

Waitress: Well...that's not technically an omelette.

Marty: ...look, I don't want to get into a semantic argument, I just want the protein.

Mr. Grocer: Easy there, chief - I don't see Hollowpoint Wound Care on the menu.

And as for the fella who mentioned The Boondock Saints:

Rocco: They can suck my pathetic little dick, and I'll dip my nuts in marinara sauce just so those fat bastards can get a taste of home while they're at it.

The quote you were looking for:

Greenly: These guys are miles away by now, but if you want to beat your head against the wall, then here's what you're looking for; they're scared like two little bunny rabbits. Anything in a uniform or flashing blue lights is gonna spook em'. Ok? All we can do is put a potato on a string and drag it through south Boston; thanks - for comin' - out.

Paul Smecker: Why don't you get me a cup of coffee?

Detective Greenly: Who the hell is this...?

Paul Smecker: Cafe latte.

Detective Greenly: What the fuck...?

Paul Smecker: Twist of lemon.

Detective Greenly: Chief, what the fuck is this?

Paul Smecker: Sweet 'N' Low.

(and my absolute personal favorite:)

Murphy: We're sorta like 7-11; we're not always doin' business, but we're always open.

Connor: That was nicely put.

(edit: oh, oh, one more. From The Way of the Gun - )

Longbaugh: There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Edited by reverendtmac (log)

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

I was going to call you on this one, because I SWORE it was a Trekkism (seriously, a Klingong Proverb). However, an interesting search of the phrase proves a number of things:

I'm not sure what you meant by this, it is a quote from the movie, about food.

I was going to call you on this one, because I SWORE it was a Trekkism (seriously, a Klingong Proverb).  However, an interesting search of the phrase proves a number of things:

I'm not sure what you meant by this, it is a quote from the movie, about food.

I meant that I didn't think the quote ORIGINATED in that film, but from Star Trek as a "Klingon proverb." I was being a stickler on the quote's provenance, but proved myself wrong and thought its origin was interesting.

That's all.

One of my cable channels has been rerunning the 1993 version of Three Musketeers with Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt, and Kiefer Sullivan. Oliver Platt, as Porthos, has some of the best lines:

[The three musketeers and D'Artagnan are escaping from the Cardinal's men in his own coach]

Porthos: Champagne?

Athos: We're in the middle of a chase, Porthos.

Porthos: You're right - something red. [ducks back into the carriage, only to re-emerge with a different bottle.]

Porthos: For a chase, the Cardinal recommends his excellent '24 Cabernet.

Porthos: [to D'Artagnan] You can't have any, you're too young.

Athos: [grabbing the bottle] Take the reins, boy. [pulls the cork with his teeth and gulps]

------------later------------------

Porthos: The picnic was delicious, the champagne was excellent, remind me to send the Cardinal a note.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)