• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sirloin roast? How should I handle this?

Anna N

My daughter handed me a "roast" from her freezer labelled "Sirloin roast". No qualifiers - as in top sirloin or sirloin tip just sirloin roast. It weighs a bit less than 3lbs and is almost semi-circular in shape and ranges from 2-3 inches in thickness. What she is hoping for is a roast that I can cook and then slice and freeze for lunch sandwiches. I don't think I can perform such a miracle with such a cut of beef. Can I? How should I roast it to keep it from being either tough or overdone?

Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

How about pot-roasting/braising it? Doneness is then not an issue, and you can make up for any lack of moisture. AND, it's great for sandwiches -- easy to slice once cold.

For myself, this would be the first choice but daughter and SIL are not great lovers of pot roast or braised meat. I think they are hoping for the impossible - fine roast beef from a very questionable cut of meat :sad:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6+ hours at 60C/140F

Good thought but my oven will not cooperate at such a low temp. Best I can hope for is 170F.

My 2004 eG Blog

6+ hours at 60C/140F

Good thought but my oven will not cooperate at such a low temp. Best I can hope for is 170F.

170 F is probably OK, so long as you have a thermometer in the meat and watch its temperature like a hawk It will only take 3-4 hours or so to get up to 130F, which is the temperature to take it out. Double wrapping the joint in tinfoil will slow the heat adsorbtion some - brown it first. Cracking the oven door open a bit will cool the oven as well, but maybe too much.

6+ hours at 60C/140F

170 F is probably OK, so long as you have a thermometer in the meat and watch its temperature like a hawk It will only take 3-4 hours or so to get up to 130F, which is the temperature to take it out. Double wrapping the joint in tinfoil will slow the heat adsorbtion some - brown it first. Cracking the oven door open a bit will cool the oven as well, but maybe too much.

Another curve ball hit before I saw your posting! I had to cook it in a relatively short time so we could attend to an unexpected family do! So, this is what I did:

I cranked the oven to 500F and stuck the roast in for just 10 mins. I lowered the temp to 200F and cooked for a further 45 mins. To my amazement, it turned out much, much better than I had expected. It was still nicely pink inside and relatively tender with very little shrinkage.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Now if you could only persuade my daughter (I failed!) that "freezer plans" are a bad, bad, bad idea! :sad:

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, maybe at least she can learn to LABEL what she puts in the freezer? :unsure:

This was labelled by the company from whom she purchased the plan! :shock:

I cook and stock her freezer with meals and label and date them very clearly.

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah. NOW I get it.  The problem was the uncertain quality of the freezer-plan meat.  Well, in that case . . . maybe if you weren't such a good cook, dealing with what she gets? :raz:

So long as the experts on egullet keep holding my hand I don't do too badly!

:biggrin:

My 2004 eG Blog

• 14 years later...

Oh BOY!This thread goes back to 2004!

What should I do with a 2.26 kg sirloin tip roast?

Can I sous vide it? I  googled and one response was 134F for 27 hours for medium AND tender roast.

Help!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

51 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Can I sous vide it? I  googled and one response was 134F for 27 hours for medium AND tender roast.

Help!

I like 134, but a day seems short for a 5 lb chunk, unless it’s thin. I might go for 24 hrs and test it. If not tender enough ...back in the bath. 

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

Help!

Yes you can SV it.   I’ve done it once.  It’s lean so I kept it med-med rare.   Did a quick sear post SV while it was cold with some browning powder and sliced thin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dejah said:

Help!

I did a sirloin tip - salted in advance like I do the eye of round, 1 tsp per pound - let sit for 24 hours - then 55ºC for 24 to 36 hours. Browned on Big Green Egg. Thinly sliced.

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

A  critical thing.  I lightly salt everything pre SV, esp thick cuts.

Most of the stuff I sous vide I don't salt - find it gives things a hammy flavor - but the eye of round and this one seems to benefit from it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Most of the stuff I sous vide I don't salt - find it gives things a hammy flavor - but the eye of round and this one seems to benefit from it.

Light salting before it gets bagged doesn't get hammy for me. But I know what you mean.

I like to salt and let sit for 24 hours;  take tarragon and tie some stalks around the roast then 225F for about 2 hours and it is medium rare in my oven.  I am happy

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites