• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Cod -- how to use it, cook with it?

sabg

No these are large, salted and dried sides of fish. Like either whole filets or whole, headless, skinned fish. Looks like salt cod to me, bigger than hake I've seen. But is dried salt hake common?

I've never seen salt hake for sale around here. There are several species that get called hake, all of which belong to the order Gadiformes, but can be of the family Phycidae or Merlucciidae. The one I showed above is of the latter.

I'm guessing you saw salted red or white hake, from the family Phycidae. They're bigger and more common. Does the vendor know?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Anything else I should know about preparing salt cod? Thanks!

You can control the salt retention by the number of water-changes during the soak stage. Many say change that water often but I'll only do it twice for fritters. Your call.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com