• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna Fish Sandwiches!

Mayhaw Man

i like white in water with mayo, capers, fresh corn, celery, scallions, and  toasted nuts pecans seem to hold up best with the mayo..cilantro is good too

I forgot about pecans. Pecans are a welcome addition to the well made tuna fish sandwich. :wink:

Has anyone noticed all of the "gourmet tuna" adds being thrown up by google on this page? Anybody ever tried any "Maryland Hand Packed Tuna"?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

MELAMPO STYLE:

can of yellow genova tuna in olive oil opened and spread on semolina bread, oil and all.. covered with sliced pickled cherry peppers, baby arugula, and fresh mozzarella..

Wow, thanks for this variation... sounds fantastic. (I'm a big cherry pepper fan). I've gotton a lot of good ideas from this thread.

My 'basic' tuna sandwich always has lemon juice, mayo (homemade or Hellmans/Best Foods), bl. pepper, grated onion and either celery or carrot. (Carrot makes a good substitute for me when there's no celery in the larder). Toasted bread. (If grilled with cheese: Swiss, please).

Nicoise-inspired versions packed into a good crust French roll are, of course, great too.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

can of yellow genova tuna in olive oil opened and spread on semolina bread, oil and all.. covered with sliced pickled cherry peppers, baby arugula, and fresh mozzarella..

This sounds fabulous. gawd, this is making me crave tuna.

usual tuna salad: mayo, onion, maybe some celery, capers, kalamata olives, and DILL lots of it, on toasted rosemary bread. gotta have it with potato chips.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Funny. The pickles I usually use in tona salad are cornichons (tiny little sweet gherkins). When I went over to the thread there were lots of folks agreeing with Dave that pickles do not belong...then moving on to claim that cornichons are fine. Though for Dave it is black and white, for some it appears

Say yes to teeny tiny diced cornichons.

No.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: tunafish salad with peanut butter. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Okay. So I'm curious. How exactly do you go about this?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

tuna fish sandwich

i DON'T eat tuna fish sandwiches EVER

i don't even have tuna fish in the house

help - what the flip is going on?

edited to say i have been doing the math and this one can also go on the following page

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=17326

on the way home from the gym i stopped and got a can of solid white albacore tuna, minced up a shallot and combined them with some miracle whip light, pepper and celery salt. at it with medium hot pepper rings and two toasted slices of bread.

cut and pasted from the incredibly strange cravings thread

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yep, still love tuna sandwiches. Same as childhood, white albacore, in water, homemade mayo, onion, cornichons. Usually on really fresh grain bread. Tuna melts with tomato when I'm in need of some comfort food.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Funny. The pickles I usually use in tona salad are cornichons (tiny little sweet gherkins). When I went over to the thread there were lots of folks agreeing with Dave that pickles do not belong...then moving on to claim that cornichons are fine. Though for Dave it is black and white, for some it appears

Double no.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Double no.

You can give me your cornichons...I'll put them in MY tuna salad and they won't offend your delicate sensibilities. :raz:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I've said it before and I'll say it again: tunafish salad with peanut butter. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Peter (age 8) adores PB and tuna. Tuna salad on one slice of break, peanut butter on the other, and then put the PB side on top of the tuna. He then flips the sandwich over so the PB is on the bottom as he's eating it. With the advent of tuna in a pouch, he makes it himself.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If I eat a tuna fish sandwhich twice in a year that is a lot.

Except when I was at sleep away camp. We would go for a three day hike every session and for lunch we could choose between warm processed cheese sandwhiches or tuna fish on wheat. Tuna was the lesser of two evil, but not by much.

But after four or five hours of hiking, it is amazing how good tuna can taste.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Grilled ahi tuna crumbled with fresh mayo, capers, minced scallions, perhaps garlic, perhaps capers, often a bit of lime in the mayo. Sometimes mache, sometimes chopped romaine. On inhouse fresh sourdough.

With kosher sour dills on the side. Tomato or seafood bisque.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We don't have tuna salad sandwiches very often, but when we do I like: oil cured Italian tuna, minced onion or slivered scallions, finely diced celery, chopped pickles or capers, chopped hard cooked eggs, homemade mayonnaise (usually with lemon juice) on toasted sourdough with ruccola. We also like Italian oil cured tuna with white beans, red onion, salty black olives, parsley and spicy evoo.

--

We don't have tuna salad sandwiches very often, but when we do I like: oil cured Italian tuna, minced onion or slivered scallions, finely diced celery, chopped pickles or capers, chopped hard cooked eggs, homemade mayonnaise (usually with lemon juice) on toasted sourdough with ruccola. We also like Italian oil cured tuna with white beans, red onion, salty black olives, parsley and spicy evoo.

Good grief. How do you get all that in your mouth? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We don't have tuna salad sandwiches very often, but when we do I like: oil cured Italian tuna, minced onion or slivered scallions, finely diced celery, chopped pickles or capers, chopped hard cooked eggs, homemade mayonnaise (usually with lemon juice) on toasted sourdough with ruccola.  We also like Italian oil cured tuna with white beans, red onion, salty black olives, parsley and spicy evoo.

Good grief. How do you get all that in your mouth? :biggrin:

Hey! That's two different kinds of sandwich there! Only 6 ingredients each!

--

When HWOE is off on travel, I will mix up a batch of tuna salad and feast! (He likes it all right -- better the ways I make it than what he had as a kid -- but he's not crazy about it as I am.) I could eat it almost every day. I'm just a tuna whore: never met a version I couldn't put in my mouth. Oil pack, water pack, fresh; mayo, Miracle whip (although I never have it around); sweet pickle relish, chopped cornichons, or none; onions or not; celery or not; carrots and curry powder -- any which way, YES.

The only thing I don't understand is the Tuna Melt. There's a thread on that somewhere.

When I was a kid, all there was was oil packed. It was pretty much the classic but always on something like Roman Meal or rye bread. Hellman's only, please.

Then there was the water packed period. In fact, it was hard to find.

Now, oil is back and I can even find olive oil in one of the main brands, Starkist maybe. I like it better than water packed. I haven't laid my hands on the expensive Italian stuff yet.

One variation is pecans and granny smith apple.

Another favorite is roughly chopped pickled jalepenos and grated sharp cheddar.

Lots of good ideas here. I really want to try the olive salad.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Peter (age 8) adores PB and tuna. Tuna salad on one slice of break, peanut butter on the other, and then put the PB side on top of the tuna. He then flips the sandwich over so the PB is on the bottom as he's eating it. With the advent of tuna in a pouch, he makes it himself.

Yeah, pretty much the way Peter does it, only we use bread. :biggrin:

Seriously: make yer tuna mix (I use Hellman's [generously], solid white albacore and chopped onion) & do up a tuna sandwich, with one of your bread slices spread thickly with PB. Best on bread with some balls, like a good crusty sourdough or pain au levain. Sounds totally wierd – disgusting, even – but it's one of those things you have to try to see just how well it goes together. I mean, if you're someone who'll eat raw sea urchin, or pig entrails, or some critter's feet, then PB and tunafish should be no BFD.

water packed solid white tuna mixed with just enough hellmanns to bind, and only fresh ground pepper and celery salt ( i used to like it with curry powder, but i got over that pretty quickly.) I eat that folded into a piece of toasted pita with the sharpest cheddar melted on it, and hot cherry pepper rings.

On a less classic note, I'll make the Tuna Bean salad from Mediterranean Light, and the next day (if there's any left the next day) when it's all a bit soggy, it's delicious pressed into a sourdough loaf like a pain bagnat.

Julia Reed has an excellent piece What kind of tuna do you buy and what kind of bread do you eat it on? What goes into your tuna fish spread?

I buy A&P's own brand of solid white in olive oil. It's $1.89 a can..and it's wonderful! I like my tuna salad on the dry side, so just a bit of Hellman's to the well drained fish, some lemon juice, dill and lots of pepper. If I am feeling adventurous, I add curry powder. Spread on toasted, buttered slices of Grossinger's Rye Bread, or toasted raisin pumpernickle, when I can find it locally. Mmmm!! :cool: