• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna Fish Sandwiches!

Mayhaw Man

See that's what I mean. That's a lot of sandwich to put into one's mouth. :biggrin:

Looks really good. And I'm with Dave on the pickles :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Psst... Hey Dave. Look in the bowl with the olives.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Good job. Not a pickle in sight.

Oh Dave...I so hate to disappoint you, but there are, in fact, cornichons in those sandwiches. Look closely...they're in the bowl with the olives.

They were delicious, by the way. Sam, once again, reminded me of just HOW MUCH he completely rocks.

K

Edited to add that on preview, Fifi's eagle eye beat me to it. I plan to have tuna salad sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, thanks to the BEST BOYFRIEND EVER.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Good job. Not a pickle in sight.

Oh Dave...I so hate to disappoint you, but there are, in fact, cornichons in those sandwiches. Look closely...they're in the bowl with the olives.

eek! So there were

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm just a tuna whore: never met a version I couldn't put in my mouth. .

The visuals on this are just magnificent (and possibly mildly disturbing) :wacko::raz::laugh::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

rat bastard... :shock:

(I just wanted to say that; actually I don't mind cornichons in the sandwich at all; they look great!) :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

white albacore, celery, green onion, paris seasoning(a penzey's thing), salt, mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice. On pumpernickel, toasted.

See? SEE? Someone around here know how to make tuna salad. Well, except for the white albacore thing, but I can let that pass. :wink:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I love tuna sandwichs. Just plain old tuna,clover leaf, chunk light in oil, love my oil too. A little mayo. I like Hellmans as well, and spread on really fresh multigrain bread. good stuff.

I'm pretty much a purist when it comes to tuna sandwiches. I like nice white water-packed tuna with Hellman's mayo, celery and red onion. On any kind of bread, but, depending on my mood, my 2 favorites are a bagel or a 7-grain. I like tomato and iceberg lettuce on the sandwich.

I also like dill in my tuna, but then I'd rather not have the celery in there.

And I have been known to put potato chips on my tuna sandwiches. :smile:

I'm pretty traditional with tuna, mayo, a dash of vinegar, chopped onion & celery, chips on the side, pickle or olives or cornichons on the side. Instead of lettuce I sometimes slice cucmber paper thin to line the bread. My special treat: Hot Tomato Chutney (Nervous Nellie's) spread on the bread. Delicious.

I just had a tuna fish sandwich! Tuna packed in olive oil, drained, a little mayo, lemon juice, sea salt and . . . preserved lemon! It was wonderful. Thank you for the inspiration--I haven't had a tuna sandwich in years.

If my wife would let the stuff in the house...

My favorite is a 1:1 tuna to hard boiled egg ratio, mayo, creole mustard, and maybe, just maybe, bread and butter pickles on the sandwich. Never relish and never in the mixture. On white, or wheat. Or saltines.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Oh boy, I am SO glad I'm reading this AFTER dinner :smile: .

I'm pretty much a purist: chunk light tuna in water, dash of lemon juice, very finely diced celery and onion, Best Foods mayonnaise (what Hellman's is called west of some arbitrary dividing line), salt, and pepper. Spread on buttered white bread, preferably Wonder. It's still my favorite sandwich of all time.

Having said that, I admit to being a bit adventurous: I've made tuna salad with sour cream instead of mayo, or added horseradish (a little goes a long way and is delicious) or curry powder, or garlic powder. I often swap green onions in, and I've used finely chopped water chestnuts, or walnuts, or a dash of dill and yogurt.

Another comfort variation is tuna burgers: add about half a cup of shredded or finely chopped cheese to the basic recipe, spread on hamburger buns, wrap in foil, and bake for about 25 minutes at 350. The buns get crisp, the cheese melts, and the mayo goes all oozy.

But never, ever, EVER any pickles. I don't like most sweet pickles to begin with, and I hate the interaction between the flavors of the pickles and the tuna.

I know that the solid white/albacore is supposed to be "better", but since I was raised on chunk light, anything else just doesn't taste right. Same with the oil packed - it tastes oily to me. I suppose it's just what you're used to.

The quality of chunk light has gone down dramatically in recent years - I don't even have to "flake" most of the major brands anymore. Because it's so water soaked I can't drain it in the can, I have to put it in a sieve and weight it down for awhile. However, there is some light: I've discovered Wild Oats' own brand of chunk light in water (and it comes with or without added salt), which is much more like I remember. I also seem to remember an ad from Chicken of the Sea stating that they're going back to something chunkier, too.

I adore canned tuna. I make tuna cakes (like crab cakes, except with tuna) every couple of weeks, and I even have the Tuna Fish Gourmet cookbook, with recipes like Creamy Tuna Dip with Crunchy Onions. I can't imagine being without a couple of cans in the cupboard.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Has anyone tried the tuna in the foil packs? (Starkist?) I haven't been able to jump off that bridge yet. I don't know why but it just seems so wrong.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The quality of chunk light has gone down dramatically in recent years - I don't even have to "flake" most of the major brands anymore. Because it's so water soaked I can't drain it in the can, I have to put it in a sieve and weight it down for awhile. However, there is some light: I've discovered Wild Oats' own brand of chunk light in water (and it comes with or without added salt), which is much more like I remember. I also seem to remember an ad from Chicken of the Sea stating that they're going back to something chunkier, too.

I said this upthread, but I really like Safeway's "Select" Tongol tuna. It's somewhere between albacore and chunk light in price and flavor as well, and reminds me of the chunk light you used to be able to find. I've gotten enamoured on the Italian oil packed for some uses, like Nicoise salads and tuna mixtures that are oil based, but for my old fashioned mayo based tuna salad, I prefer the water packed (my cats like it too, as they get the tuna water runoff), and that Safeway stuff is it for me.

Edit: Oh, and like many others, I succumbed to the lure of the tuna can myself today.

Has anyone tried the tuna in the foil packs? (Starkist?) I haven't been able to jump off that bridge yet. I don't know why but it just seems so wrong.

It's Sahara Desert Dry. Too dry. And the Bumble Bee Salmon I tried in same packaging was so oddly bitter tasting it was inedible. :angry:

I said this upthread, but I really like Safeway's "Select" Tongol tuna. It's somewhere between albacore and chunk light in price and flavor as well, and reminds me of the chunk light you used to be able to find.

Thanks very much for pointing this out - I shop there often enough, and I'll look forward to trying it!

And as for the pouches, I found them to have a very metallic taste. I know they're not supposed to, but I didn't care for it.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

On topic, but slightly tangential -- anyone but me fond of a Tuna Melt?? I love a good tuna melt sandwich and find that it's one of those things one can make at home even better than the local diner can.

Pretty plain tuna salad (water packed, mayo or Miracle whip to moisten, diced celery and/or carrots, bit of Dijon, squeeze of lemon) on good rustic whole grain bread, or rosemary focaccia with copious Dilled Havarti cheese on it. Open faced in the toaster oven or quickly shot under the broiler. Yeahhhh... :wub:

Heavenly comfort food!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

On topic, but slightly tangential -- anyone but me fond of a Tuna Melt?? I love a good tuna melt sandwich and find that it's one of those things one can make at home even better than the local diner can.

I do.

Tuna, mayo (some plain and some wicked wasabi mayo from Trader Joe's), red onion, pickles on lightly toasted rye and topped with some pepper jack. In the oven under broiler for a couple of minutes.

MMMMMMmmmmmmm!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W