• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Tea and Red Bean Ice Creams

SobaAddict70

Last night, I had major Chinese food cravings -- and managed to satisfy some of it. There's a sort of ok Chinese takeout place near me that stays open late, around 2 am, called "Chef T". Soup dumplings (kinda average), vegetable lo mein and green tea ice cream.

Their green tea ice cream was really outstanding. Sweet and intense, creamy, almost vanilla overtones. It got me to thinking -- this can't just be vanilla ice cream with green tea flavoring, could it? Maybe it's green tea infused ice cream. Why isn't this sort of thing around in the U.S.? And for that matter, well made red bean ice cream is pretty good too.

So, are there any brands out there that make this sort of thing? And if not, have any recipes for either of these two, or other offbeat ice cream flavors?

Soba

I don't know the answers to your questions, Stan, but I do like to go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. I love how the "normal" flavors there are Red Bean, Ginger, Mango, Pineapple, Green Tea, etc., and the "exotic" flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate... :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

It got me to thinking -- this can't just be vanilla ice cream with green tea flavoring, could it? Maybe it's green tea infused ice cream. Why isn't this sort of thing around in the U.S.?

You can do it either way--make a very strong, concentrated tea (i.e., with a very small amount of water), strain it and add it to your cream base, or infuse it directly into the cream, then strain and make the cream base. You want to avoid adding much extra water to the base.

I've tried "Mr. Green Tea" ice cream, and don't recommend it--okay flavor, terrible ice cream.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

So, are there any brands out there that make this sort of thing?

Check out the ice cream section of your local asian market. Both of mine sell a few varieties of green tea ice cream and other flavors.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I made green tea, ginger, and coconut ice creams for a wedding lunch (Thai food) last summer. Actually, what I made was green tea ice cream with chocolate chunks, ginger ice cream with candied ginger, and toasted coconut ice cream.

The green tea ice cream was the easiest and tastiest. I didn't use a recipe. I just scalded the base with a healthy amount of green tea leaves in it and then let it rest until I was happy with the flavor, then I strained out the leaves and went about making the custard, cooling it, and making the ice cream. I must admit, however, that I used food coloring to give it a green color.

Simple flavorings like this are pretty straight-forward, I think. Much easier than when you need a syrup for flavoring which can throw off the sugar content and viscosity. The coconut ice cream was much more a pain than the ginger or green tea.

Take my word for it. Add chocolate. It'll remind you of the combo of mint and chocolate. Fabulous.

Neato. I was interested in getting an ice cream maker for the express purpose of trying my own green tea ice cream. Can't wait! (The new Cuisinart component is freezing as we speak; think I'll have to start with plain chocolate, though. :)

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Do you have a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood? They have an amazing dense, decadent Green Tea Gelato -- the same company produces a Ginger Gelato with crystallised ginger bits that knocks my socks off and a Blackberry Cabernet Sorbet that is akin to sex.

We are still waiting for a Trader Joe's here in Colorado. The closest options are Arizona and Nevada; that's a long way to go for a little gelato! I get so pissed (and wistful...'pistful'?) sometimes hearing about all the interesting little tidbits folks find there. :angry: AND we've been waiting for a Fort Collins branch of Whole Foods for a year now! They keep saying it's coming, and there's a lot of hubbub around the construction site, but when...WHEN? So sick of driving to Boulder for specialty food ingredients!

What's the name of the company that produces this fabled Green Tea Gelato? I'm wondering if it's sold solely through TJ's or if you can find it somewhere else....

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

anybody have experience with grean tea powder?

you should check out recipe gullet because i think that's what michael laiskonis uses in his green tea ice cream which is very good!

i think good green tea powder is more expensive than (certain) tea leaves, though.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

It's called matcha, and it's perfect for this. I'm pretty sure it's just a super high quality and extra high potency pulverized tea leaves in powder form. Pricey, yes, but a little goes a long way, and you get the potency of flavor and the vibrant green color that is so appealing. It's what is used in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies, too.

The green tea produced in the proper ceremony using matcha and a whisk is super yum and almost thick enough to be a soup. The dregs always have small bits of... something though.

I *adore* green tea ice cream, though for some reason everytime I buy it from an asian grocery store it never matches up to the ones I get from restaurants (not fancy we-make-it-ourselves restaurants, just middle range ones).

Am also very tempted to make it with (my friend's) ice-cream machine, but for some reason my brain insists that if made with matcha it would have a grainy texture. Any thoughts, or has anyone tried it?

Their green tea ice cream was really outstanding. Sweet and intense, creamy, almost vanilla overtones. It got me to thinking -- this can't just be vanilla ice cream with green tea flavoring, could it?

This is a distinct possibility, especially if it's a relatively small operation that makes their own ice cream on premises. My first regular "on the books" job was at age 15 - one had to be that old to get "working papers" in NY state (my first "on the books" job was actually working as Mr. Peanut at grocery store grand openings but it was an intermittent gig). I worked in a Carvel store and was surprised to discover that all Carvel ice creams are made from two basic base mixes. The mixes are a thick liquid in a large waxy cardboard cart (like a 2.5 gallon milk caontainer) and came only in vanilla or chocolate. Every one of the carvel flavors that was not chocolate based had the vanilla base mix. Furthermore... another shocking revelation.... it was exactly the same stuff that was used to make the soft serve chocolate and vanilla.

For example.... to make mint chocolate chip, the operator starts drawing soft serve vanilla into the big metal scooping container and adds green food coloring and mint flavor concentrate, blending and whipping it in as the container fills. The container full of soft serve is now placed in a walk in freezer to solidify before putting it out for retail sale.

My boss never let me make the hard ice cream or the cakes but I became the "King of the Flying Saucers". I cranked 'em out by the hundreds on a weekly basis and perfected the art (what little there was to it).

• 6 months later...

I just got an ice cream maker (Cuisinart) and made my first ice cream last week (Butterfinger Vanilla). I would like to try something exotic and am wondering, since there is Green Tea Ice Cream, do people think Thai Ice Tea Ice Cream might be good, or even do-able (substituting Thai Black Tea for the Green Tea, adding a little more sugar, and using heavy cream instead of whipping cream)?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I guess, but you will have to steep the milk/cream mixture in Thai tea and wait until it cools then strain it out. However, I think Thai ice tea (or at least the one's I had) are made with condense milk, so I'm not sure how that figures into the whole ice cream mixture since I'ver never used it in that way.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

The fun thing about having your own ice cream make is you get to play around with flavors that tempt you. Try it. The worse that happens is that it doesn't taste the way you had hoped.

It's just milk, cream and eggs. Not neuro-surgery. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There used to be a place in San Francisco called Pure T. It was a tea shop/ice cream parlor. There were only tea ice creams and sorbets. The Thai tea ice cream was very good. I loved the Earl Grey milk shakes.

From what I can remember, here are some of the flavors ......

Morrocan mint

earl grey

thai tea

Chai

Black Currant

A while back I made Thai tea ice cream and I steeped the tea in the milk cream mixture. It came out pretty good.

When I was growing up, my grandmother's vanilla ice cream recipe, which we always churned by hand in an old White Mountain with the rock salt & ice, used sweetened condensed milk (as well as cream and half & half). It would freeze to a delightful soft-serve consistency, then harden damn good so that you'd have to let it thaw on the counter for a while before serving.

That said, I don't think that the traditional mixture of sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk in Thai iced tea would present much of a problem. Save me a scoop! :smile:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I've done it with Republic of Tea's vanilla almond "sweeten the mind" tea and it was absolutely killer. The thought came to me because as it sits on my desk each morning, it gets more flavorful as it cools. (I take it with creamer and sugar.) So, it seemed like a natural progression...if it tastes so good cool...wouldn't it be awesome frozen? And it is. Just steep in the cream and toss it in the ice cream maker.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

However, I think Thai ice tea (or at least the one's I had) are made with condense milk, so I'm not sure how that figures into the whole ice cream mixture since I'ver never used it in that way.

There are lots of ice cream recipes that incorporate condensed milk. I'd think adapting one of those would be pretty straightforward.