• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

X+Y = Sandwich

Mudpuppie

Okay, so I got into this discussion at work about weird food -- food you're sort of ashamed to admit to eating, but that's comforting somehow. We got into sandwiches. Mostly, we talked about making sandwiches out of things that aren't really supposed to be sandwiched. It turned out to be mostly universal among the small sample represented (although one among us steadfastly maintained that random sandwiching is strictly a teenage boy thing).

We were all slightly embarrassed.

My favorite oh-so-wrong sandwich involves cold pasta and whole wheat bread. It's best consumed at around 11:30 p.m. I've also indulged in baked bean sandwiches, as well as potato salad sandwiches. And I have, on occasion, stuck leftover salad on a slice of bread.

I know I'm not alone, unless the folks at work were just humoring me.

Any other weird and marginally wrong sandwiches out there? Don't be ashamed.

amanda

Googlista

My brother and I used to make "stuffing" sandwiches with the leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. No turkey, just a heap of stuffing between two slices of bread. In effect, bread sandwiches.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

When I first visited London as a teenager, I was thrilled to discover the chip butty; it reassured me that there were other likeminded folk out there, as committed as I secretly was to the "starch marathon" (as Nigel Slater calls it) that was the stuff my childhood dreams were made of.

Sliced bread smeared with cold butter. Hot, salty french fries sandwiched between the bread slices. Warm enough to melt the butter. This is key.

Funny. I am not a carb junkie by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't resist making this sandwich if I think about it for more than a few minutes at a time. I've often been tempted to play around, you know, add cornichons or homemade aioli or whatever, but I resist. It's perfect already.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Okay, so I got into this discussion at work about weird food -- food you're sort of ashamed to admit to eating, but that's comforting somehow. We got into sandwiches. Mostly, we talked about making sandwiches out of things that aren't really supposed to be sandwiched. It turned out to be mostly universal among the small sample represented (although one among us steadfastly maintained that random sandwiching is strictly a teenage boy thing).

We were all slightly embarrassed.

My favorite oh-so-wrong sandwich involves cold pasta and whole wheat bread. It's best consumed at around 11:30 p.m. I've also indulged in baked bean sandwiches, as well as potato salad sandwiches. And I have, on occasion, stuck leftover salad on a slice of bread.

I know I'm not alone, unless the folks at work were just humoring me.

Any other weird and marginally wrong sandwiches out there? Don't be ashamed.

Mudpuppie:

Bet you weren't aware that you were enjoying a treat served everywhere in Hong Kong as a "English Breakfast".

This treat was the menu item of choice often pre-made to expedite service to the then Colony's officeworkers.

Gass of Strong Black Tea sweetened with Condensed Milk and a Canned Bean Sandwich generally using Lard as a Base Spread since there wasn't enough fatty Pork in the canned Beans to serve everyone. Canned Pork probably was served to the VIP's.

This was so popular among the Chinese that it was requarly prepared at home as a European or English snack.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

my sister and i grew up eating ketchup and butter between 2 slices of white bread. i used to think we were the only ones have since discovered that many indians loved these in their childhoods.

when i first came to the u.s (10 years ago) i used to take sandwiches made from wonderbread and spam (with a dash of tabasco) with me to my grad seminars to eat at the break. as i recall this was real good shit. after the second week a horrified classmate took me aside and asked me if i knew i was becoming white-trash. i am ashamed to say that i was culturally intimidated into stopping (on the other hand this led to my taking chicken curry and rice instead and tormenting everyone with the mouth-watering aroma).

Darn it hj. You beat me to it. :smile:

My favorite sandwich as a kid was peanut butter, lettuce, pickle slices, and ridged potato chips (much better than the normal chips).

My favorite ones of all time are at Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh where they are most famous for throwing fries in every sandwich. Best appreciated after midnight.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I like to put potato chips on sandwiches.  :unsure:  It's especially good on tuna salad.

Damn skippy! Gives it a good crunch.

My wife makes peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. Now that is wrong.

There's a recipe for this in White Trash Cookin'. Think the author calls it "No Stick Peanut Butter Sandwich" and guarantees "it won't stick to your upper plate."

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

My wife makes peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.  Now that is wrong.

I agree that making peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches is wrong -- mostly because the essential third ingredient is missing. Cucumber slices.

PB, cucumber and mayo...my 2nd favourite sandwich when I was a kid, and still a (very)occasional comfort treat to this day.

My very favourite? Canned pimiento strips mixed with mayo, in a white bread and plenty of butter sandwich.

Both were apparently childhood favourites of my mother's, and I guess she felt compelled to "pass the weirdness" on to her kids.

My grandmother used to make us brown sugar sandwiches with tea. Strangely enough, mom never would....something about not a proper lunch? This from the woman that eats peanut butter and red onion sandwiches to this day! :smile:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I agree that making peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches is wrong -- mostly because the essential third ingredient is missing. Cucumber slices.

PB, cucumber and mayo...my 2nd favourite sandwich when I was a kid, and still a (very)occasional comfort treat to this day.

Gaaah.

(On the other hand, I loved peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. So who am I kidding? :biggrin: )

My favorite oh-so-wrong sandwich involves cold pasta and whole wheat bread. It's best consumed at around 11:30 p.m. I've also indulged in baked bean sandwiches, as well as potato salad sandwiches.

I see absolutely nothing weird about these sandwiches. Those are the sandwiches of my youth. My mom makes the best chicken-potato salad sandwiches and I still like leftover cold spaghetti (w/ sauce) between two slices of whole wheat bread. Fried Spam sandwiches with mayo was also a regular. I also make leftover frittata into sandwiches. Can't think of any oh-so-wrong sandwiches at the moment.

When I first started hanging with my now husband, he was a little intimidated by my kitchen personage and quickly copped to all his bad, wierd eating habits. None of them were particularly horrific, except for this one, learned from a high school pal: the peanut butter and tunafish sandwich. That could have been the deal breaker right there, but instead, I decided to be adventurous and give it a try. Guess what? It's really good. It's even become a house special, with a name: the Mungo Sandwich (don't ask). Sometimes it's just "Mungo" or "some Mungo". As in, "Hey, Hon, want some lunch? I'm gonna whip up some Mungo". It's great pre-ride fuel if you're a cyclist.

Don't knock it till you've tried it: mix up the tuna with lotsa mayo and chopped red onion, use crunchy PB and good, sturdy bread.

Edited for spulling.

Edited by GG Mora (log)

I worked for a woman that ate peanut butter and tomato sandwiches.  Those made me want to heave.

Hmm. I like pb + tomato a lot. But only with natural pb and in-season tomatoes on good toasted bread (onion-dill rye is my favorite). A few hot pepper flakes really add something. A little crumbled bacon doesn't hurt, either. But then, I like groundnut stew, too.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My brother and I used to make "stuffing" sandwiches with the leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. No turkey, just a heap of stuffing between two slices of bread. In effect, bread sandwiches.

We added gravy to ours! Yikes! :biggrin:

I love wilted spinach and bacon sandwiches, add mayo. Also fig preserves and peanut butter. On a different sandwich.

My mom loves potato salad sandwiches, although not since Sugar Busters.

A restaurant near work here does a pastrami on kaiser roll, then batters and deep fries it. I call it a Heart Plug.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Gaaah.

(On the other hand, I loved peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. So who am I kidding?  )

In junior high my friends and I came across a pickle peanut butter and American cheese sandwich recipe. I was not a fan of the original cold concoction, but somehow figured out that it was better with melted cheese, warm oozing peanut butter and cold pickles for contrast. Much to my parent's dismay, this was an after school staple for me for quite a while.

I'm not sure this is a sandwich by definition, but I've dubbed it thusly so I'll jam it into this thread whether it fits here or not.

A ramen and cheese sandwich on steak bread.

Huh? Exactly.

Boil ramen noodles (any variety will do), drain and add seasoning. Next, cook up two Steak-umms. Place one Steak-umm on a plate. Pile ramen noodles on top. Add a couple slices of American cheese and top with the other Steak-umm. Eat with fork.

I've done this more than once so it doesn't qualify as a nothing-in-the-house-so-I-just-threw-this-together meal.

I have no clue what is wrong with me.

My favorite ones of all time are at Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh where they are most famous for throwing fries in every sandwich. Best appreciated after midnight.

As a native Pittsburgher, I second the shout out to Primanti Bros. However, you forgot to mention the heaping handful of slaw and two thick cut tomatoes they put on with the fries. Yum.

My mom used to eat Miracle Whip sandwiches when she was young. Of course, it was during the Depression so that almost makes it understandable.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My mom used to eat Miracle Whip sandwiches when she was young. Of course, it was during the Depression so that almost makes it understandable.

Toliver, I used to LOVE Miracle Whip sandwiches, and I'm a product of the 60's.

Had to be on Wonder Bread. Potato chips added to the sandwich were optional.

I also used to take that Wonder Bread and shake salt all over a slice when no one was looking. Guess that explains why I later grew up putting salt on McDonald's food. :wacko:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.