• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Meets South Fusion Food

Andy Lynes

Scotts rather good post on the definition of fusion cooking on this brief thread regarding Australian chef Christine Manfield's new London project East@West got me thinking why we rarely, if ever, hear about North meets South food. Maybe the thought of fusing the cuisine of Iceland with that of Mexico and coming up with boiled whale meat mole is good enough reason in itself, but has the food of a Northerly country ever gone South of the equator?

Has Eastern Europe ever skanked scoff in a rub-a-dub stylee with Jamacia? Has Benelux carnivalled cuisines with Brazil? Have I run out of these ridiculous queries too early to generate a decent arguement?

But seriously, are there examples, even within continents and countries of North meets South fusions, or are there socio-economic reasons as to why this rarely happens?

(Starter for 10 has to be Tex-Mex.)

what about diaspora cooking?

jamaica is an example, guyana and trinidad too - indian and african roots, new world ingredients - any of the formerly Portuguese held countries have a portuguese stamp on their food, certain types of Mexican food have spanish roots..

Actually i'm of the opinion that most food of the new world is fusion cooking at it's best, but i'm not exactly sure this is the answer you were looking for.

Scott's definition of 'fusion' was very good. So why continue with the lazy usage of the word?

The history of food is on of continuum  of 'fusion'. Look at Britain, (which I consider well 'North') most popular food for the masses is a bastardised form of Indian cooking. Five hundred years before that it was a bastardised form of Near-Eastern cooking. Most countries that have extensive trade routes have outside influences on their food.

I suspect that the only reason why there isn't any Whale Blubber Mole is becasue, it would be utterly revolting and that there are not great historic trade connections between Mexico and the whaling nations.

There's a restaurant in New York (not sure if it's still around or not, actually) called Tja!, which describes itself as ScandinAsian.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There's a restaurant in Hell's Kitchen (Manhattan) called Old San Juan, which is Puerto Rican and Argentinean.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There's a restaurant in New York (not sure if it's still around or not, actually) called Tja!, which describes itself as ScandinAsian.

And then there's Sushi Samba - Japanese, Brazilian, Peruvian fusion. That's gotta count!

Website at: http://www.sushisamba.com/top.html but be warned - it's Flash and slow to load.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

There used to be a restaurant in Washington D.C. called Thai Roma. I remember some interesting, if not entirely successful, noodle/pasta dishes with cross-cultural seasonings, spring rolls with Italian stuffings and vice-versa manicotti, and, for lack of a better description, fusion skewers.

On the off chance the place was still open (I was there maybe ten years ago), I googled it, and found this review by a fellow eGull:

Thai Roma

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I don't think Thai Roma is open anymore. They didn't spooge Thai and Italian much though, IIRC.

Google is a strange and wonderful thing. :blink:

This isn't really fusion, but many years ago I remember there being a "half & half" restaurant in Phoenix, Arizona. One side of the menu was chinese food and the other side was mexican food. :blink:

I have no idea if they are still open.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver