• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Meets South Fusion Food

Andy Lynes

I don't think Thai Roma is open anymore. They didn't spooge Thai and Italian much though, IIRC.

Google is a strange and wonderful thing.  :blink:

There's a Thai Roma down the street from here - it appears to be open, and they post specials on a chalkboard out front. Seems like they tend to do 2 Thai and 2 Italian with no mixing. I haven't been in there yet - workload dictates me not getting out much for lunch. :hmmm:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

A restaurant in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico called Dragonfly which is carribean/asian fusion. Fused to the point of things on the menu like Ropa Vieja MooShu. But it actually works pretty well.

Not so well on the other hand was Cajun Bangkok in Old Town Alexandria Virginia. Didn't like that at all.

But these are all from regions grouped around the equator, so they still don't fulfill the North South thing.

Are there any fusions of African cooking out there that might qualify?

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

There is a newish restaurant in San Francisco's Castro district called Tallula, that bills itself as Indian-Portuguese-French fusion. Don't know if that counts. Also don't know if it's any good 'cause I haven't been, but have heard several interesting and positive reviews.

Cheers,

Squeat

Edited fur speeling

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Squeat -- the Indian-Portuguese part I can understand.  Look at the food of Goa, which here in NYC is sort of represented in the definitely fusion cooking of Floyd Cardoz at Tabla.

Yeah I was aware of the Portuguese-Indian influence (I have a friend who lives in Goa), but I'm curious how the French plays into it. This place is on my to-try list. Oddly enough and for another fusion twist, they lack a full liquor license but serve those sake cocktails that seem to be cropping up all over the map.

I love Goan food! I'll have to try Tabla next time I'm in my second-favorite city!

Cheers,

Squeat

There's a restaurant in New York (not sure if it's still around or not, actually) called Tja!, which describes itself as ScandinAsian.

Not around anymore: that's where Bread Tribeca is, now.

HWOE and I ate at Tja! once. He completely forgot. That says something about it, I think. And all I remember was hip, cooler-than-thou decor and clientele (excluding us, of course). Although I think we had some decent herring. Maybe.

Andy: your whale-blubber mole isn't so far from the mark.

Salt cod (AKA baccala, baccalao, morue, etc) that favourite of Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and Provencal cuisine, comes from Norway, and was Norway's main export up until modern times. Mark Kishlansky's book 'Cod' (not the most alluring title, I'm afraid) looks at this early example of north-south fusion in all the depth you could possibly want.

Does this count?