• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seven Steak

Lyle

My extended family is very close-knit and all happen to live in the same rural town. I don't guess they happen to live there, they choose to. At any rate, they sometimes go in on and butcher an entire side of beef to divide it up. On a recent visit, we got in on their "scraps". We brought home massive amounts of ground and roasting beef.

Last night, while looking for a small meat component for our veggie-intensive-garden-plucking-eating-to-clean-out-fridge-to-waste-as-little-as-possible diet, I pulled out this novelty sized piece of beef labeled Seven Steak. It's huge (no weight printed on it by the butcher)...I'd say maybe 5 lbs...looks like a comically large steak.

Shirley Corriher has a gumbo recipe. Google seven steak. Lots of people have gumbo recipes. I'm not that crazy about 15 lbs of gumbo.

I won't be doing anything with this slab of beef until I get back from vacation, but what else can I do with it? I've never heard of a Seven Steak. What is it cut from? (If you say a cow, I'll scream) Why is it called Seven Steak? Why am I capitalizing that? Can I break it down into further components, cook some as steak, others in, say, a strogonoff?

Rice pie is nice.

I remember Alton Brown dealing with the 7 steak issue on one of his programs... It has to do with the shape of the bone left in the section of meat... I believe it was the shoulder...

At one end of the cut, a steak-shaped section would have a bone shaped like the number 7 left in it. Further down, the shape of the bone differs. So a 7 steak is a cut from one particular end of a larger cut of beef.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I think it's chuck, like a pot roast. I'd braise it

more here

Apparantly my Google isn't as good as your Google. :raz:

Thanks for the link. I'll probably have to divide the "steak" into portions as it's too huge to fit into any braising vessels I own. I guess I was wondering if I could break it down into, well, steaks. Not a good idea apparantly. Braising it will be. Thanks.

Rice pie is nice.

A good cut for braising. One of the cuts of featured in the 7 bone is the chuck underblade steak a/k/a chicken steak/minute steak. It's the one with the line of connective tissue going right down the middle. This cut has an excellent, beefy flavor.

recent thread on specifically the chuck underblade steak

click

South Florida

Braise, definitely. Pot au feu.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 4 years later...
Braise, definitely. Pot au feu.

I attended a party in Slidell, LA this weekend that was catered by Jacque-Imos's Cafe in New Orleans. They served a Seven Steak Gumbo that was phenominal.

Indeed, there's a recipe for a phenomenal seven steak gumbo in Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen that I just made the other night. I was disappointed to learn that seven steak was a type of steak, and that the gumbo didn't actually have seven types of steak in it! :laugh:

Of course, I didn't actually have any seven steak, so I just substituted blade (chuck) steak, as directed by the recipe.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

A good cut for braising.  One of the cuts of featured in the 7 bone is the chuck underblade steak a/k/a chicken steak/minute steak.  It's the one with the line of connective tissue going right down the middle.  This cut has an excellent, beefy flavor. 

recent thread on specifically the chuck underblade steak

click

Is that the same cut as paleron?

Seven-bone steaks are fairly common in meat markets in south Louisiana, and braising is indeed the right cooking method...the ones I see are a little leaner than your typical chuck (the whole roast is rarely seen, rather it is already sliced into steaks 1" or less in thickness). "#7s" are delicious when cooked grillades-style...pound lightly, cut into cubes, salt/pepper, then flour generously. Brown well in bacon grease, remove from pot & toss in a chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped green pepper, and a rib of celery. Cook until the veggies "clean the pot" (ie, the liquid from the veggies cooks out & soaks the fond off the bottom of the pot), then add the browned beef back to the pot, along with 1/2 cup of red wine, two chopped tomatoes, a bay leaf, a few sprigs of thyme, and a generous pinch of cayenne pepper. Add a little more water/beef stock, if needed, depending on the size of your pot/amount of beef, so that the cubes are just shy of completely covered by the liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce to lowest heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hr or until fork-tender. Serve over buttered grits.

A common cajun dish is smothered #7 steaks, cooked very simply with very browned onions, garlic, bell pepper, and served w/hot cooked rice.

• 2 weeks later...
If it really is from a "cow", I'd throw it out!

Maybe it's just midwest farmer colloquiallism, but cow was the beast that gave milk, bull was the one that made the cow give milk, and steer is where the steaks came from.

doc

I've been told that more cow makes it to the meat market these days. As it was explained to me cattle raised for beef are not economical for milk production. Even dairy cows make it to market if the producer won't get a subsidy to produce milk from that cow or able to sell it as a dairy cow. I'm guessing this is where a lot of veal comes from.

This all pertains to the US. My recollection comes from casual conversation at The Chicago Mercantile Exchange where they trade futures on cattle and feeder cattle.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats