• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BEEF

I love beef!

I always have and I always will.

Sometimes there is nothing better then the perfect piece of beef.

I ate that perfection today!

from the dinner thread:

the hilight of the BBQ was the Kobe beef, this had been sent to my friend by her parents who live in Kobe. This was the most gorgeous cut of meat I have ever laid my eyes upon. They were in large chunks about 2 by 3 inches and about 1 inch thick. We lightly salt and peppered them and then placed them over a medium high fire. The smell of them cooking was pure ectasy, my drool almost distinguished the fire. I tested their doneness (OK rareness) by the finger press test and pulled them off when I thought they were just at that point between rare and medium rare. I hit it on the dot, perfection! biggrin.gif Gorgeous sear lines on the outside and lucsious pink in the middle. I let them rest for a couple of minutes, which felt more like hours, before I started to cut. I cut them into bite sized pieces and we poured a small bowl of Maldon sea salt for dipping. I know no words to describe the taste of this meat, no description can do it justice. There is no beef like true Kobe beef!

Please feel free to discuss beef! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Steak.

Braised short ribs.

Steak tartare.

Daube.

Bulgogi.

Kalbi.

Raw steak with shoyu and wasabi.

:smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Prime rib!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

A juicy, RARE burger, crusted with salt, pepper, and carcinogens.

Porterhouse, hold the butter.

Any grotty bit that can be coaxed and braised into something unctuous and rich with melted collagens. Oxtails, yes! Short ribs, you bet! Shin, sure!!

(But my heart belongs first to prime rib :wub: )

You're killin me Kristin!  Great atavar.  Is that the beef?  (Sorry, just saw that it was ground).

Oops, avatar, that is....

It wasn't the beef we actually ate , but it is a picture of Kobe steaks.

It needs to be much bigger to really be appreciated! :biggrin:

I am afraid that Kobe steak yesterday has just pushed yuke to second place as my favorite beef dish :sad:

Beef is wonderful!!!!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Onglet (hangersteak), pounded out, allowed to "marinate" in chopped thyme, minced garlic, and olive oil till gets that oxydized look (at least overnight). The best sauce for hangersteak that I've made........plain veal demi simmered with K-Paul's tasso ham, rough chopped shallot and finish with tomato confit. I'm telling you, and please heed my words, get some good tasso and infused that flavor into a GOOD demi (not Knorr's for whores) and you're going to elect me president of the congress of flavor.

Spencer, do you strain out the ham, shallots, and confit?

Spencer, do you strain out the ham, shallots, and confit?

Absolutely not. No Jinmyo, if you dice the tasso up to super brunoise you'll be good to go. If you only rough chop or reg. brunoise you'll be leaving tough little bits in the sauce. Tasso is pork butt that hasn't been cooked long enough to render it tender. Render it tender....hmmmm....Anyways, tasso is best eaten in small slivers or minced. But by God you'd be doing your self a disservice to get all French with that sauce and triple Thomas Keller strain it. The textural enticements are half the allure.

Damn Spenc, that sauce sounds gorgeous.

I have no choice but to try it.  Mmm.  We need a drooling emoticon.

While I'd love to take credit for it I had nothing to do with it. My idiot savant ex-pastry chef/baker (Andy--Most Likely to never be sober--Masters) was fucking around on the garde manger one day and chucked a bunch of mis en place up into demi and stuffed the sauce into one of his epitard. Of course, like any chef worth a shit, I took credit for it when it was deemed "sublime" in the rags. But it's really something you need to try. If veal demi is too time consuming, take some chicken stock and reduce that to a demi. :raz:

Add to my list:

yuke, or "yook hwe" as it is listed at Kori (in NYC). Finally had it last night. Ah, yes. Even HWOE, who has an unnatural fear of eating raw beef* scarfed down half the portion.

*He still worries about gastroenteritis, even though it was I who got it from steak tartare.