• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose Water

Lyle

Silly- but I really have no idea how rose water should be. As in, I purchased some YEARS ago and to my supprise, it was really nothing. I couldn't imagine it flavoring anything, it was beyond mild (I could hardly smell it in the bottle).

Is that how it should always be? Did I buy an older bottle perhaps?

Silly- but I really have no idea how rose water should be. As in, I purchased some YEARS ago and to my supprise, it was really nothing. I couldn't imagine it flavoring anything, it was beyond mild (I could hardly smell it in the bottle).

Is that how it should always be? Did I buy an older bottle perhaps?

Hell NO!!!! Rose water is VERY fragrant, if not used judiciously it will overpower anything. Throw away the clear liquid that you have now, go to a middle-eastern or indian store and buy a bottle. It smells fantastic and lasts a while. The one u have is either a very poor imitation or is very old.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'm delighted to read that (I threw it out way back when). I had avoided recipes calling for it, it just didn't make sense adding a tsp. of something that mild. THANK-YOU for clearing that up for me!

Can you tell me who supplies it wholesale? As in a bigger distributor.

Hell NO!!!! Rose water is VERY fragrant, if not used judiciously it will overpower anything. Throw away the clear liquid that you have now, go to a middle-eastern or indian store and buy a bottle. It smells fantastic and lasts a while. The one u have is either a very poor imitation or is very old.

Sounds like the bottle I have is no good too.

I'm delighted to read that (I threw it out way back when).  I had avoided recipes calling for it, it just didn't make sense adding a tsp. of something that mild. THANK-YOU for clearing that up for me!

Can you tell me who supplies it wholesale? As in a bigger distributor.

Do u mean brand name??? I would go for the Lebanese ones (but then I am biased :biggrin: ). The one I use is "CORTAS" brand and you should be able to find it at any Middle Eastern grocery store. I can look up who the US distributer for this brand is on the bottle when I get home and let u know if you want.

Glad I could help.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 year later...

I would love some recipes, ideas, or info on ways to use and cook with rose water. :blink:

All we really use it for at work is in pastries, I would like to use it in new ways. I had thought of making an almond soup and garnishing it with rose syrup. or adding it to whipped cream for ontop of a chocolate mouse.

Please add any ideas you like..no mattter howout ther they may seem! lol

Also, how about orange blossom water too?

You could make a simple drink with one part rose water to four parts water, sweetened to taste.

Or a cold canteloupe (or honeydew melon) soup: blend the fruit with ice, rose water, and sugar to taste. Mint makes a nice addition but departs from the authetic Persian version.

Most Persian desserts (even ice cream) use rose water, much like the use of vanilla in Western pastries. My favorite is a small cookie made with only rice flour. I would be happy to share the recipe.

Most Persian desserts (even ice cream) use rose water, much like the use of vanilla in Western pastries. My favorite is a small cookie made with only rice flour. I would be happy to share the recipe.

Ooh. Could you please share this recipe? Thank you.

My favorite recipe is adapted from Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World, by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. I have found it to be easier and more successful than any of the Persian recipes I have.

I hope it is fine to post an adapted recipe. I would hate to violate any copyright rules, particularly for this book, as it is one of my all-time favorites.

You can find a picture at:

Nan berenji

Nan Berenji

---------------

1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1 large egg yolk

1 tablespoon rose water

1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom

2 cups rice flour plus a little extra for kneading

Pinch of salt

About 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (for garnish, chopped pistachios can also be used)

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat together the butter

and sugar until pale. Add the egg yolk, rose water, and cardamom and mix in.

Mix together the flour and salt, then add 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix

in. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour. Switch to the dough hook and knead for

two minutes, until well blended, smooth, and soft.

Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or as long

as 12 hours.

Place two racks just above and below the center of the oven and preheat the

over to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or wax

paper.

Knead the chilled dough briefly, then divide it into 4 equal pieces. Cover

and refrigerate 3 pieces while you work wit the remaining piece. Cut off a

scant teaspoon of dough and roll it under your palm to make a ball, then

place on one of the prepared sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough,

leaving about 1 inch between cookies.

Use the smaller end of a melon baller, or a thimble, to press a pattern on each cookie.

Take care to avoid flattening the ball of dough. Sprinkle the top with poppy seeds.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies are barely golden on the

bottom; switch the positions of the baking sheets and rotate them after 10

minutes. Like all shortbread-style cookies, these are fragile right after

baking; use a wide spatula to transfer them carefully to a wire rack to

cool. Once cooled, store in an airtight tin.

Makes about 3 dozen

I've got a small bottle of Lakshmi rose water - each time I buy it, I tell myself *this* time I'll make marzipan. But no. I end up using the whole thing on mango lassis.......my favorite summertime beverage!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

• 9 months later...

I keep getting bottles of rosewater given to me by various people, and I have several bottles of it hanging around now doing nothing. Try as I might, I just cannot bring myself to add this vile stuff to pastries. People rave about how lovely a scent and taste it's supposed to have, but to me it smells like the worst excuse for artificially scented crud I've ever comes across, and it tastes like.... well I don't know what it tastes like..... but it makes me have to wipe my tongue off wth my sleeve. It's just plain disgusting. Mildly reminiscent of the industrial cleaners they use in hospitals, actually.

So it has just occurred to me that maybe the stuff I've been getting has really been cheap knockoff rosewater and not the real stuff at all. I've never bought any myself so I wouldn't know what to look for. Is it really lovely and ethereal the way people describe? What should I be looking for?

Rosewater has a very distinctive smell, just like roses. I can't really describe it better than that, except to use my better half's description - just like a funeral parlor. :huh: My grandmother used to give me a shot glass or so of the stuff mixed with some sugar (so I could get it down) when I had a stomach ache. You could always give it a try, maybe that would help you use of some of it... Also, I made some rosewater sugar cookies a while back, and they really had a nice flavour. I found that recipe on the net somewhere... I would say that you should use a very little amount in whatever you are adding it to so you aren't overwhelmed with the rose scent. Just a hint of it is kinda nice. You could also put a bit into fruit salads, if you make them.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I've always thought that it smells like a public toilet. (Sorry.)

When I was a kid, I would sneak into the kitchen and sprinkle rosewater onto my stationery to perfume it.

I disliked it so much that my Lebanese mother subbed orange flower water in dishes that called for rosewater.

I keep getting bottles of rosewater given to me by various people, and I have several bottles of it hanging around now doing nothing. Try as I might, I just cannot bring myself to add this vile stuff to pastries. People rave about how lovely a scent and taste it's supposed to have, but to me it smells like the worst excuse for artificially scented crud I've ever comes across, and it tastes like.... well I don't know what it tastes like..... but it makes me have to wipe my tongue off wth my sleeve. It's just plain disgusting. Mildly reminiscent of the industrial cleaners they use in hospitals, actually.

So it has just occurred to me that maybe the stuff I've been getting has really been cheap knockoff rosewater and not the real stuff at all. I've never bought any myself so I wouldn't know what to look for. Is it really lovely and ethereal the way people describe? What should I be looking for?

I like it when used judiciously. I used it flavor some icing this weekend. :smile:

Rosewater brands vary in taste and strength. Some taste ethereal. Some taste medicinal.

Although a lot of people I know swear by Lebanese rosewater, I don't have a reliable source for that in Hawaii. So I use the "Roseflower Water" that comes in little cobalt blue plastic bottles, produced by A. Monteux in France. A little dab'll do ya!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

People rave about how lovely a scent and taste it's supposed to have, but to me it smells like the worst excuse for artificially scented crud I've ever comes across, and it tastes like.... well I don't know what it tastes like..... but it makes me have to wipe my tongue off wth my sleeve....

ROFL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's like you read my mind! And, I acutally did do that the first time (and last time) I tried the stuff.

I guess I just don't like flowers. I don't like lavender in my foods either. I had to delicately remove from my mouth a tea cake we made in school with lavender. I'll leave the flowers to the bees.

Orange flower water I can tolerate because it at least has a fruit/flower smell. But that still has to be used VERY judiciously.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I get it now.... it should be used very sparingly and diluted..... sort of like real saffron; otherwise all you get is horrible bitterness? Am I right?

I suppose, in that respect, the fact I swigged it straight would be part of the problem. :laugh:

Does anyone have a tried and true brand they prefer? I just looked and it looks like all of my bottles were either crafted in Iran, Turkey, or Istanbul. :unsure: (???)

I LOVE orange blossom water, Ling. Next time you add it to a buttercream or the like, try adding just a small splash of orange blossom wine to the mix too... it's exquisite!

I love rose water much more than orange.....

When I lived in NY I used to buy it at Kalustyan. I expecially like it with rice puddings and often make a simple syrup for mango or peaches salads with pistachios.

But I have your same reaction with peanut butter, I just find the smell disturbing.

If you want to send me all you bottles I would not get offended :biggrin:

Since you have such an abundance of it...it's really good for your skin. Splash it on after you wash your face. Then again, I love the smell. I find it luxurious and soothing. I get either French or Italian stuff in a cobalt blue bottle. Have no idea if that makes a difference.

I love rose water much more than orange.....

When I lived in NY I used to buy it at Kalustyan. I expecially like it with rice puddings and often make a simple syrup for mango or peaches salads with pistachios.

But I have your same reaction with peanut butter, I just find the smell disturbing.

If you want to send me all you bottles I would not get offended :biggrin:

Hah! I'd take you up on the offer, but Ontario isn't allowed to ship its garbage to New York anymore..... :laugh:

Do you remember the brand that you used to buy and liked? Country of origin? What the label looked like? Anything?