• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk yet Again...

awbrig

What do you drink and how do you like the taste? Is Whole Milk really that bad for you? I wanna know because I love the taste of Whole or 2% but my wife thinks Whole will make her fat and others say its bad for your health but yet Skim tastes horrible to me etc...etc...

What do you guys do?

I will drink nothing less then whole milk with my coffee, but with cereal I prefer a low-fat (1.5%)

Skim is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Whole milk does taste too fatty for me. We usally drink 1%. Occassionally HW goes on a 2% binge :biggrin:

I drank whole milk during my pregnancy like it was going out of style. I gained 70lbs. :biggrin: Your wife is right

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

As far as weight gain, I think it would depend on how much of it you drink. If you guys drink milk like crazy, you may wish to use 2% or 1%, but if you just use it from time to time, go with whole. I think that whole tastes much better and try to buy organic milk as well. I used to drink a ton of milk, but am now using it mostly in cooking or the ocasional bowl of cereal.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

As far as weight gain, I think it would depend on how much of it you drink.  If you guys drink milk like crazy, you may wish to use 2% or 1%, but if you just use it from time to time, go with whole.  I think that whole tastes much better and try to buy organic milk as well.  I used to drink a ton of milk, but am now using it mostly in cooking or the ocasional bowl of cereal.

Ben

That's true. I drank gallons of the stuff during pregnancy because I thought mistakenly, the baby needed the extra fat. Maybe that's why he was 10lb+ when he was born :biggrin: . Seriously, if you only drink it a little, then go for the whole stuff if you like it. As far as children go, they say whole milk until age 12 usually except in the lad's case, because he was always off the growth charts, they said 2%. The kid's 10 and he's as tall as I am. :blink:

Marlene

We grew up with skim milk. At college, they had whole milk and it made me gag. Now I still drink skim milk, when I drink it, except I put half and half in my coffee. I love the richness with the strong coffee. In contrast, I put skim milk in tea.

As far as children go, they say whole milk until age 12 usually except in the lad's case, because he was always off the growth charts, they said 2%.  The kid's 10 and he's as tall as I am.  :blink:

They've changed that now. It's whole milk until age two, then switch to lowfat.

I prefer skim, but Ian is being weaned to whole milk, Emma drinks 1%, and I'll be damned if I'm going to buy three kinds of milk every week, so Scott and I drink the 1% too. The organic skim tastes much better than the regular supermarket stuff.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Maybe that's why he was 10lb+ when he was born :biggrin:

DAMN! That's one big baby!

My son was 9.5 and I thought he was huge.

he was 10lb .6oz. Ack :biggrin:

They've changed that now. It's whole milk until age two, then switch to lowfat.

I prefer skim, but Ian is being weaned to whole milk, Emma drinks 1%, and I'll be damned if I'm going to buy three kinds of milk every week, so Scott and I drink the 1% too. The organic skim tastes much better than the regular supermarket stuff

That's right, I remember that. And I agree. HW likes whole, I like 1% and the dr. said 2% for the lad, so I wasn't buying more than one kind of milk. For the longest time, we all drank 2%, and now we've switched for the most part to one percent.

Marlene

Cereal tastes better with half-and-half than with any variety of milk.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

HW uses half and half for mashed potatoes (and sometimes cereal)

Marlene

Heavy cream for mashed potatoes.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Heavy cream for mashed potatoes.

Well yes, if it's in the house. I only have it in the fridge when I'm planning to bake though. Half and Half we always have :smile:

Marlene

Maybe that's why he was 10lb+ when he was born :biggrin:

DAMN! That's one big baby!

My son was 9.5 and I thought he was huge.

he was 10lb .6oz. Ack :biggrin:

My sister who drank skim milk during all 4 pregnancies had kids ranging from 9 1/2 lbs to 11lbs 12 oz.

I on the other hand drank mostly whole milk and the biggest of my 3 weighed in at 7 1/2 lbs.

Go figure! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I find that I hardly ever actually drink milk anymore, except on occasion with chocolate-chip cookies or devil's food cake. It takes us longer to go through a half-gallon of milk than the milk itself can stay fresh. But when I use milk in coffee, cereal, or whatever, skim is just not acceptable. It's like milk-flavored water.

I find that I hardly ever actually drink milk anymore, except on occasion with chocolate-chip cookies or devil's food cake. It takes us longer to go through a half-gallon of milk than the milk itself can stay fresh. But when I use milk in coffee, cereal, or whatever, skim is just not acceptable. It's like milk-flavored water.

My mother who is somewhat health obsessed only had skim milk at her house. When my children were small they always complained about having to drink the "blue milk" at grandma's house. It is kind of blue and totally flavorless. It is kind of like drinking alcohol free beer instead of Pilsner Urquell.

It's just me, myself and I for dinner tonight, and I'm in the middle of making a roast pork with mashed potatoes. Since I plan on consuming a large quantity of the pork, I shall follow the WW commandment of using margarine and 1% milk in my mashed potatoes. Not as good I know, but it makes me feel virtuous somehow :biggrin:

Marlene

what is this WW you are talking about?

Sorry, Weight Watchers. How do you think I lost the 70 lbs :blink:

Marlene