Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rotuts

Christopher KImball and "Milk Street"

Recommended Posts

As an editor, I'd wonder if that sort of text was ready for me yet, or if it needed another pass by the author before coming to me.

  • Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have spoken harshly to one of my reporters had they handed in such to me. 


Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Such is the quality of internet food writing.

 

No editors = crappy cliche-ridden prose.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the first page of this thread, I mentioned my take on the writing (in the first issue) with two analogies : "One by Johnny Carson " You buy the premise, you buy the bit" and the other by Ernest Hemingway,  about a "crap detector" in his head, something related to faulty logic principles. " Most of the time, the intro to an article -the premise- didn't sell the rest of the article.    l like the term 'crap detector' 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

On the first page of this thread, I mentioned my take on the writing (in the first issue) with two analogies : "One by Johnny Carson " You buy the premise, you buy the bit" and the other by Ernest Hemingway,  about a "crap detector" in his head, something related to faulty logic principles. " Most of the time, the intro to an article -the premise- didn't sell the rest of the article.    l like the term 'crap detector' 

It is worthy of being quoted in full:

 

"The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shock-proof, shit-detector.” –Ernest Hemingway

  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Egads did we know he had a Milk Street cookbook out already? 

 

Click


Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed

 

Churn is Alive and in HyperDrive

 

on the Amazon page :

 

""From Christopher Kimball, one of Epicurious' 100 Greatest Home Cooks of All Time: One of Eater's Biggest Books of Fall 2017"

 

Yikes

 

suprise.gif.9c9faf85cd580702ffc42ad7bb0a97a9.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Indeed

 

Churn is Alive and in HyperDrive

 

on the Amazon page :

 

""From Christopher Kimball, one of Epicurious' 100 Greatest Home Cooks of All Time: One of Eater's Biggest Books of Fall 2017"

 

Yikes

 

suprise.gif.9c9faf85cd580702ffc42ad7bb0a97a9.gif

Yes it's quite frightening isn't it. But in a world where there are facts and alternate facts one should not be too surprised.  xD 


Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are Rx's to consider from the New Cabal : MS

 

Im fortunate that the TV shows end up on my computer for very little effort.

 

I learn a lot from watching Rx's vein made.

 

the magazine is at my public library and I take a look.

 

the book is there soon and Ill take a look.

 

BTW  the same day MilkStreet 102 was aired  ATK had their own show.

 

I learned from each :  MS  a bit about pastry dough  and on ATK  a pear upside-down cake that looked worth trying

 

way back when I made all sorts of upside-down cakes , and the best was w canned pears.

 

good luck to you finding a really ripe pear in N.E, 

 

its possible , but you will be disappointed for the other 50 weeks of the year.

 

Ill just let them Churn.

 

after all , as far as I can tell , none of each Cabal are Felons 

 

suprise.gif.6d9a762ac2aa4ab13093c5fc03e71ba1.gif

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

 Egads did we know he had a Milk Street cookbook out already? 

 

Click

I was aware of this. As I wended my way through my daily Kindle ecookbooks offerings, I kept seeing a notice that I could pre-order his new cookbook. Since it was not what I considered a "deal", I didn't post about it.

He appeared on the syndicated Rachael Ray TV show this week looking completely out of place, replete with his bow tie, while promoting his new cookbook and TV show.

  • Haha 2

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

 

the magazine is at my public library and I take a look.

 

the book is there soon and Ill take a look.

 

 

I've seen the book at our library.  Didn't have much time to look through it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 6:31 AM, Anna N said:

 Egads did we know he had a Milk Street cookbook out already? 

 

Click

And he has some competition from his old stomping grounds: (click)

 


 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Toliver said:

And he has some competition from his old stomping grounds: (click)

 

 And while I love my Kindle books I'm always appalled when I see they are more expensive than the print version!

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna N said:

 And while I love my Kindle books I'm always appalled when I see they are more expensive than the print version!

Yeah, that's just wrong, wrong, wrong. 

  • Like 2

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the link just above

 

one notes below the cookbook mentioned

 

there are a dozen other ATK books that all seem like Churn

 

of previous publicatioins

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's interesting that the PBS station I receive on cable had the "Milk Street" cooking show last season.

But not this season. They switched back to "Cook's Country". :rolleyes:

Sorry, Chris! ;)


 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Toliver

 

very interesting

 

as far as i can tell

 

the  brio-hah based on the finical split

 

between Ck and ATK  must have been resolved

 

the current owners of

 

well   ATK

 

have managed a season at CK's FarmHouse

 

at the appropriate $$$$$

 

 CooksCountry season 10

 

that being said

 

Im mildly concerned

 

medically

 

that a few of the Crew at ATK

 

are now wider than they are tall

 

well , Im hopeful 

 

they will understand this

 

and deal w it on their own =tiem

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW

 

as a few of you are following this thread

 

out of curiosity

 

[ed.: i.e. culinary voyeur-ism at its most blatant ]

 

Im wonder how the issues were setteled

 

ATK is a better show , except for the  Twins shtick  , and  Milkstreet is not that bad either   

 

as it offers  some non-american cooking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Toliver

 

very interesting

 

as far as i can tell

 

the  brio-hah based on the finical split

 

between Ck and ATK  must have been resolved

 

the current owners of

 

well   ATK

 

have managed a season at CK's FarmHouse

 

at the appropriate $$$$$

 

 CooksCountry season 10

 

that being said

 

Im mildly concerned

 

medically

 

that a few of the Crew at ATK

 

are now wider than they are tall

 

well , Im hopeful 

 

they will understand this

 

and deal w it on their own =tiem

 

 

Like most of us, they got wider as they got older.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some  exceptionally wider

 

I hope they understand the implications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rotuts said:

some  exceptionally wider

 

I hope they understand the implications.

At least one is a doublewide.  

 

Paul Prudhomme says he gained a ton by tasting sauces with a spoonful. Maybe that's in play here. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

w/o working hard at it

 

i recall at least 3 DW'ds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

posting this here :

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2019/08/22/americas-test-kitchen-and-christopher-kimball-have-settled-their-contentious-three-year-lawsuit/?noredirect=on

 

love to see the complete deals

 

and hate lawyers fees

 

no matter

 

each show has changes , over all for the better.

 

not so much girth wise for many on ATK

 

the food is really not that good.


Edited by rotuts (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

posting this here :

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2019/08/22/americas-test-kitchen-and-christopher-kimball-have-settled-their-contentious-three-year-lawsuit/?noredirect=on

 

love to see the complete deals

 

and hate lawyers fees

 

no matter

 

each show has changes , over all for the better.

 

not so much girth wise for many on ATK

 

the food is really not that good.

 

 

@rotuts, did you happen to read the story before this note was added: "This story has been updated to remove statements from Christopher Kimball, who was not authorized to speak about the settlement."

I did not but I'm curious what he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

nope

 

a settlement was bound to happen.

 

just like to see the legal bills

 

on each side

 

for fun !

 

" and they laughed all the way to the Bank , after a very nice lunch , on the tab. "


Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...