• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese "street foods"

torakris

I hesitate to refer to these as street foods, because in Japan they aren't sold so much on the street as they are in the parks, at the beaches, in highway rest areas, and every tourist attraction.

A lot of them contain the the world yaki (which means grill, burn, roast, broil, etc)

yakitori

okonomiyaki

yakisoba

takoyaki

what are some of your favorites?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

In the summer, yakisoba, heaped with beni-shoga (bright red pickled ginger) and powdered nori. In a paper bowl.

In the winter, oden.

Anytime, tai-yaki (fish-shaped cakes stuffed with sweet red bean paste)

Wow Margaret you really eat like I do!

Sometimes I have more beni-shoga then yakisoba!

I also love those tai-yaki, they are really popular on weekends outside of K-mart type stores in my neighborhood, Imy favorite are the white bean ones. :raz:

Torakris, I never understand how people can eat yakisoba without beni shoga! It really makes the dish for me.

I've never had the white bean taiyaki. It's difficult to even find the regular ones here in the US. Gotta take what you can get I suppose. I've been thinking about attempting dora-yaki on my own - not being in possession of a fish shaped iron - but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll use the white an for that...

• 3 months later...
niku-man!!  (do they still sell them on the street?) I remember it's usually attached to a restaurant....  :

Everywhere in Yokohama's China town! :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hmmm, what I like is taikoyaki (also called imagawayaki, I think, or ooyaki) which are basically like taiyaki but round instead of fish-shaped and usually come in a lot more flavors--sometimes savory like tuna or pizza.

My favorite were the choco-banana ones at a stall in Machida where I used to live.

...natsukashii...

hmmm, what I like is taikoyaki (also called imagawayaki, I think, or ooyaki) which are basically like taiyaki but round instead of fish-shaped and usually come in a lot more flavors--sometimes savory like tuna or pizza.

My favorite were the choco-banana ones at a stall in Machida where I used to live.

...natsukashii...

exceptinsects, welcome to egullet and the Japan Forum!! :biggrin:

Imagawayaki are wonderful, my favorite is the shiro-an (white bean) and my husband and kids almost always go for the custard.

I found this incredible site just about imagawayaki, I have linked to the photo page since the whole website in in Japanese but for those who can read it it is fascinating, they have rankings of the most popular kinds, a list of every prefecture and what theyare called there, this snack has an incredible number of names!

check it out:

http://hb2.seikyou.ne.jp/home/my-morita/ni/photo/index.htm

The 4 Torakris mentioned initially are the only ones I've had.

Okonomiyaki are okay, but nothing I'd rush back for.

Takoyaki, I'd rush back for, twice even.

Yakitori, I'd rush back for at least twice. Per item. I think I've had a few different meat and a few different innards.

Yakisoba is okay but I probably like it less than okonomiyaki.

Reminds me too much of greasy Chinese lo mein, which I suppose it basically is.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 year later...

I made an attempt at one of my favorite highway "service area" snacks today:

Oyaki (full description of technique is on my blog entry.)

The filling I made was actually slightly repurposed, extended karashi-na filling from my jiaozi that I showed on the China forum. To the karashi-na filling, I added some oroshi-kabu (actually turnips rather than Japanese kabu), miso, shouyu, and a couple of mushrooms.

The skins are simple to prepare, but hard to turn into something pretty; accordingly, I obscured the "twisted" side.

In the pan:

oyaki_20018_2D640w.jpg

Plated:

oyaki_20024_2D640w.jpg

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Some street food pictures, these were all taken in Asakusa.

freshly cooked sembei (rice crackers)

gallery_6134_1053_9440.jpg

chocolate banana on a stick

gallery_6134_1053_34844.jpg

and in a cone

gallery_6134_1053_17263.jpg

candied fruits (that is a block of ice they are sitting in)

gallery_6134_1053_3147.jpg

the street vendors line the streets of Asakusa

gallery_6134_1053_54786.jpg

I'm going to tokyo the end of novemeber, wondering where these "street vendors" are?  Thanks!!!

A lot of the "vendors" can actually be found as shops in department store basements, especially some of the sweets like taiyaki or dorayaki.

In Osaka I have heard you can buy takoyaki almost anywhere but in Tokyo it can be a little harder to find. Many large stores (like Ito-Yokado, Jusco, Aeon, etc) have food courts that offer various "street" foods like takoyaki, crepes, etc

Most of the larger parks (Uneo Koen, Yoyogi Koen) and major temple areas have streets lines with various vendors especially on the weekends.

For oden and such try the outside of any major station after dark.

• 1 month later...

Mmm Takoyaki. There used to be a street vendor just outside the Coop near Mefu Jinja (Hyogo-ken) We used to stop there after shopping. Sadly on my last visit to Japan both the vendor and the Coop had gone. We did find some nice Takoyaki near the Tsukiji markets though.

Finding tako in rural Western Australia is a bit tricky :raz: so I haven't had takoyaki in a while.