• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese "street foods"

torakris

I have only seen 2 or 3 ramen, oden, and yakitori yatai in Osaka. I think they are more common in Kantou? I wonder if there is some sort of map or online community about yatai... I would love to have more yatai dining experiences, not just snacks.

No wonder butters expensive!

BTW- Is that in current USD? If this isnt appropriate, dont answer, but how is the current state of the USA and Govt seen in Japan? Do they like Bush?

Yes it is current USD, I used a currency converter set to the rate at the moment.

The second question is off-topic and I couldn't answer it on these boards even if I knew the answer, to which I have no idea anyway. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I suspect the term "fermented butter" means "cultured butter" which should taste very good, much more flavorful than butter not labelled as such.

BTW, heavy cream, 40%, 238 ml, is $1.50 at present. But, dairy prices have been climbing rapidly, registering 12% inflation per year, for the past year and will do so for the next year as well. Last year, 1 quart [roughly 1 liter ] of milk cost 66-71 cents; today $1.14.

"A recent article in the Austin American Statesman (www.statesman.com; accessed on 13/10/07) says: ‘This morning, your bowl of cereal and milk probably cost you 49 cents. Last year, it was 44 cents. By next year, it could be 56 cents. It’s enough to make you cry in your cornflakes.’"

http://www.newagebd.com/2007/oct/30/oped.html#1

gautam