• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

I don't recall the American cheeses sampled at Artisanal.  There may have been some, but it was a pretty global selection.  I once had Max set up a pairing of American cheeses with generic European equivalents at Picholine, and the American cheeses held their own very well.  I've been enjoying small production American cheeses for years now, so either I'm mad or you're wrong.  I wouldn't contend the products are superior overall to British and French cheeses - but ban them?

of course ban them

This site is about extremes

Perhaps I should have added cheese in America as well as American cheese

S

How about cheesy ex-pats in America?

cheesey ex pats in loud suits made out of furnishing fabrics ( he could at least have taken the curtain rings out of the monstrosity he wore at the London Christmas bash )

S

Pollock that is formed, coloured and sold as crab and the restaurants that are cocky enough to list crab on the menu and then serve up that crap.

Virtually any supermarket California Roll is made with this abomination. But they charge like it's real crab, not Krab. :sad:

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Virtually any supermarket California Roll is made with this abomination.  But they charge like it's real crab, not Krab.  :sad:

virtually every single california roll i've ever had, at sushi restaurants, is made with this. i quite like it. :smile:

pre-ground black pepper and non-kosher/sea salt on tables, or in food, should be banned.

Virtually any supermarket California Roll is made with this abomination.  But they charge like it's real crab, not Krab. :sad:

virtually every single california roll i've ever had, at sushi restaurants, is made with this. i quite like it. :smile:

You, my friend, have been to the wrong sushi restaurants. :sad: You're in for a treat when you get the real thing.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Virtually any supermarket California Roll is made with this abomination.  But they charge like it's real crab, not Krab. :sad:

Of course surimi isn't crab.

But it's not bad at all in sandwiches with mayo etc or in bibimbap.

I quite like it too, tommy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

surimi does have its purposes and I quite enjoy it myself.

But when they try to pass it off as crab, or charge crab prices.....................

now that is a different story. :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Egad, no. Surimi is not crab. It's fishcake. And good as such.

Surimi-nigiri is like musubi (spam sushi).

Suzanne, TofuMate? NaSoya? Egadgad.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Egad, no. Surimi is not crab. It's fishcake. And good as such.

Surimi-nigiri is like musubi (spam sushi).

Suzanne, TofuMate? NaSoya? Egadgad.

Jin's sentiments exactly! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 year later...

Powdered Drink Mixes like Kool Aid

Cake Icings made from lard and food coloring

Cooking "wine" puke.gif

Most canned vegetables (they taste NOTHING like the "real thing" ever.

Most canned meats, epecially canned corned beef...canned in Lower Slobovia or East Spagetistan, or some such countries you'd never heard of.

Cheap Chocolate

Cream soda and Root Beer. Nazzzzty stuff! Add vanilla Pepsi and Coke to that.

Putting ketchup on everything

Salting and peppering before TASTING :angry:

Soup slurping

Apres Spicy food belching and farting

Picking Teeth at the table

Tucking napkins in shirts in nice restaurants

And my NUMBER ONE REQUEST of things to be banned....drumroll PLEASE!!

drummer.gif

Men WEARING BASEBALL HATS in nice restaurants! :angry: Take those damn hats off...or I'll SMACK 'em off your heads!

That's all!! :raz:

And my NUMBER ONE REQUEST of things to be banned....drumroll PLEASE!!

drummer.gif

Men WEARING BASEBALL HATS in nice restaurants!  :angry:  Take those damn hats off...or I'll SMACK 'em off your heads!

That's all!!  :raz:

Cue Tony Soprano:

"Take that hat off. They took out the bleachers and stopped serving hotdogs a year ago."

I will second the spam  (adding all canned meat products) and non-fat products.

It defies explanation, but many Hawaiians LOVE Spam.

Here's a short essay on Spam by Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope: A Short Essay on Spam by Cecil Adams of The Straight Dope. Actually, I guess it's a couplet of sorts.

It addresses the composition of spam, and speculates on the reason the indigenous folks of the South Pacific are fond of the stuff.

ranch dressing is definitely bad.

non-dairy creamer.

Oh man, two things I couldnt disagree with more.

Some of us have no choice but to use non-dairy creamer. And now that I am used to it, I actually LIKE the taste of Coffee-Mate.

And as to ranch dressing -- just what the hell else do you expect me to eat my onion rings with?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Non-dairy creamer & Artificial Sweeteners: I just don't eat things that seem to have no expiration date. :unsure: Sometimes I'll use evaporated milk in my coffee or tea, but I've learned to just drink it black.

Frozen Mashed Potatoes: This is just the food industry taking advantage of people. Potatoes are sooooo cheap. You can buy a 10# bag of potatoes for what they charge for 1 of those frozen bags. How hard is it to boil and mash potatoes, anyway.

Semi-Homemade: Sandra Lee and her books/show should maybe not be banned, but just ignored by anyone with a clue :wink:

Edited by NolaFoodie (log)

How hard is it to boil and mash potatoes, anyway.

For people whose hands are crippled with arthritis, very, very hard indeed. :unsure: I cook plenty of mashed spuds for my clients because they just find it too difficult and they hate instant. Oh... ::: adding instant mashed potatoes to my list of should be banned thingies :::::

I wasn't offended....I just wanted people to be aware that hands can get so bent out of shape that cutting hard vegetables like potatoes, carrots, turnips can be a chore--if not impossible. The already made mashed potatoes in the fridge and freezer sections are a decent alternative to that "library paste in a box" called "instant mashed potato." If you need to stucco your ceilings, that stuff is perfect. At least the other variety is made from real potato and you just add milk and butter. Great to keep on hand, no matter what your situation. Sometimes, I myself don't get excited at the prospect of peeling, cubing and boiling. And I loves me my spuds!! :biggrin:

Edited by Pickles (log)