• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things that should be banned

Li'l Smokies (mechanically separated meat . . . blech)

American cheese (Singles, in particular)

Fat-free chese (wtf IS that, anyway?!?!)

Blue foods other than berries

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Men WEARING BASEBALL HATS in nice restaurants! :angry: Take those damn hats off...or I'll SMACK 'em off your heads!

I'll help you! Now what about people sitting and walking around with toothpicks hanging out of their mouths? It drives me nuts!

Melissa

And my NUMBER ONE REQUEST of things to be banned....drumroll PLEASE!!

drummer.gif

Men WEARING BASEBALL HATS in nice restaurants! :angry: Take those damn hats off...or I'll SMACK 'em off your heads!

That's all!! :raz:

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

My dad tries to get by with this all the time. We were going out a few weeks ago and I realized about a block away from the restaurant that he still had his cap on. He's not going bald or anything, even...has a beautiful head of thick, silver hair. I made him take it off. He actually whined...my dad whined...because he said he had hat hair.

I told him that hat hair looked a million times better than a baseball cap at the dinner table. He took it off, but pouted until I bought him a beer. Jeez. 50 going on 5, I tells ya.

He would have spanked my ass if I'd tried that growing up.

Gourmet Anarchy

Cream soda and Root Beer.

Ranch Dressing

Apres Spicy food belching and farting

I am enjoying a Barq's Floatz at my desk right now. I don't reccomend that you try it Pickles. This drink is a combination of the two flavors you mentioned as evil. :wink::laugh: I, on the other hand, find this to be a fine combination.

As far as belching and farting go, while it should be a highly private affair, I think that you should consider the alternative (see the food scene in The Meaning of Life-The very funny Monty Python skit/movie-"Would you like a mint? They're wafer thin."), there would be people expoding all over the place. :wacko::laugh:

As far as ranch dressing goes, I love raw vegetables dipped in the stuff.

This post has been edited because of an apparent early onset of Alheimer's. Either that or I'm an idiot. Or both. :wacko::shock::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

artificial butter flavoring (did you know that it causes cancer?)

Just about everything does, no? :unsure: I haven't heard anything about butter flavorings. Source, please? You're talking about stuff like "Molly McButter" and movie theatre popcorn grease (a/k/a "butter")?

Quis baniet ipsos banners, Dude?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cream soda and Root Beer.

Ranch Dressing

Apres Spicy food belching and farting

I am enjoying a Barq's Floatz at my desk right now. I don't reccomend that you try it Pickles. This drink is a combination of the two flavors you mentioned as evil. :wink::laugh: I, on the other hand, find this to be a fine combination.

As far as belching and farting go, while it should be a highly private affair, I think that you should consider the alternative (see the food scene in History of the World -the very funny Mel Brooks Movie-"Would you like a mint? They're wafer thin."), there would be people expoding all over the place. :wacko::laugh:

As far as ranch dressing goes, I love raw vegetables dipped in the stuff.

Ranch dressing wasn't on my original list (see my post)....I enjoy ranch dressing.

ranch dressing is definitely bad.

I used to hate ranch dressing until I started making my own. Now it's a good thing.

Oscar Mayer bologna.

What is ranch dressing? I think it's a buttermilk and mayo thing. Thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Ranch dressing wasn't on my original list (see my post)....I enjoy ranch dressing.

Well then, I stand corrected (actually I am sitting, but I think you get my drift :wink: ).

I used to hate ranch dressing until I started making my own. Now it's a good thing.

Oscar Mayer bologna.

What is ranch dressing? I think it's a buttermilk and mayo thing. Thanks.

I use Buttermilk, mayonnaise, and a little sour cream, chives, parley, s & p.

Oh, and Gerber's "toddler meals." Ban them! If the kid is old enough to chew, give him table food for goodness sake.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Hoison sauce..I can eat anything but not that stuff,YUCK

Critical to the enjoyment Moo Shu Pork and Peking Duck. And Pho. Sorry.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Cream soda and Root Beer. Nazzzzty stuff! Add vanilla Pepsi and Coke to that.

Soup slurping

Jeez, Cream Soda and Root Beer is taking a direct shot at our working class culture which made this country what it is today. Two uniquely American things that should NEVER be screwed around with, or questioned, EVER.

Vanilla Coke in the can or pre-made is vile. Mixed a la minute from a professional soda jerk and soda shop, another American working class icon that should never be screwed with and should be revered, is a thing of beauty. Pepsi Vanilla is not a completely horrible product, though.

Soup Slurping -- ESSENTIAL to the Asian noodle soup dining experience.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The top five, in my black book of shame:

1. Pimento stuffed olives

2. Margarine

3. Cheez Whiz

4. Anything that says "fat free". Gimme fat (in moderation) any day.

5. Canned green beans. (Or canned vegetables, period.)

What's in your black book of shame?

:blink:

Soba

rude foods:

--things that are supposed to taste/look like other things, but are neither as good and have more processing than the real thing (i.e., turkey bacon)

--i saw an ad last night for a DQ Blizzard that had chunks of cheesecake in it. i had to concentrate to stop from wanting to barf. :laugh:

--mmm, invisible cola. things that are Lite or Free that taste like sh*t and have no virtues of the original thing (see turkey bacon)

--drinks that have chunky things in them, like bubble tea.

umm, that's it. :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

As far as belching and farting go, while it should be a highly private affair, I think that you should consider the alternative (see the food scene in History of the World -the very funny Mel Brooks Movie-"Would you like a mint? They're wafer thin."), there would be people expoding all over the place. :wacko:  :laugh:

Wasn't the exploding diner in Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life", MM?

Hoison sauce..I can eat anything but not that stuff,YUCK

Critical to the enjoyment Moo Shu Pork and Peking Duck. And Pho. Sorry.

Indeed.

artificial butter flavoring (did you know that it causes cancer?)

Just about everything does, no? :unsure: I haven't heard anything about butter flavorings. Source, please? You're talking about stuff like "Molly McButter" and movie theatre popcorn grease (a/k/a "butter")?

somewhere recently I saw an article that outlined a study done on the folks who work in microwave popcorn factories and it showed that being in prolonged contact with the butter flavoring was a high cancer risk.

Does it surprise you?

I had a buddy who worked at a movie theatre once. He said they were not allowed to call it "butter" they had to add "flavoring" to the end or they could be sued...hehe

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Ummmm....thanks.

I'm losing it. I edited my post to what I knew was right in the first place. I'm losing it faster than I thought. :shock::laugh:

Ummmm....thanks.

I'm losing it. I edited my post to what I knew was right in the first place. I'm losing it faster than I thought. :shock::laugh:

Naw, it's just that I'm just one of those annoying guys who go around quoting movies to people rather than saying anything of substance, so it caught my eye....

non-dairy creamer.

Oh man, two things I couldnt disagree with more.

Some of us have no choice but to use non-dairy creamer. And now that I am used to it, I actually LIKE the taste of Coffee-Mate.

And as to ranch dressing -- just what the hell else do you expect me to eat my onion rings with?

well after having some hangover coffee made with instant taster's choice, cremora, and sugar - i'll take back the non-dairy creamer comment. sorta. i'll say grocery-store brand non-dairy creamer.

as for your onion rings. use ketchup, like i do. :biggrin:

i think my main problem with ranch dressing is the buttermilk. as much as i've tried i really don't like the smell of buttermilk. it smells like trumpet-spit. strangely enough i like blue-cheese dressing. which smells like particularly strong trumpet-spit.

but it's got blue cheese in it, and that's what makes it better.

Bacon Medallions - think thats what they are called. Saw these in the supermarket the other week, basically it is the oval shaped pure meat part of back bacon - no fat at all, sold at a huge markup. Mmm, dry, tasteless and expensive!

'Fresh' pasta as sold in supermarkets. Great bit or marketing here. People will buy this, but shirk at buying half decent brands of dried pasta (Waste of money). Scary thing is people who buy it, and then freeze it, thinking that it is better than dried.

Sunny delight. Don't get me started on that one. Every time i see a kid drinking it I want to punch the mother in the face.

Ok Possibly a bit harsh. But that stuff gets me angry!

Oh, and celery :biggrin:

I love animals.

They are delicious.