• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acompaniments for smoked meat

snowangel

What are your favorites? Sauce, coleslaw, whatever?

A couple of summers ago, we did pork shoulder for a party, and a friend brought a red onion salad from a German deli in New Ulm. I think I've duplicated it -- very thinly sliced red onions, soaked in water for a bit, drained and repeated. Dressing is a sweet-sour mayo (I use mayo, some superfine sugar, and a combo of white and cider vinegar). The deli adds poppy seeds, but people say they like it better without the seeds which just get stuck between your front teeth. It's a yummy accompaniment.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

A few different types of mustard for dipping: honey, sharp and creamy, grainy, and Jack Daniels bourbon mustard.

There's a little beach- bar barbeque place in Anguilla, Uncle Ernie's, that has the most delicious, peppery red cabbage cole slaw I've ever tasted. It's a great complement to the smoky flavor of bbq'd anything.

Actually, if anyone has a recipe for corn pudding, I'd like to have it - I only ever get mine at City BBQ. It seems like a spoonbread, really.

I also like my pulled pork on a soft white bun, for what that's worth. Coleslaw should have either a very light coating of mayo dressing or (preferable) a vinegar-based dressing.

Jennie

When I go to schwartz, i ask for a medium sandwich, fries, pickle, and a coke...

Joe...because of geograhical challenges, I haven't been to Schwartzes in way too long.. Does the heavenly meal you describe still come accompanied by crabby counterstaff? I kind of hope so.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

maggie, yeah, the staff is still quite crabby. last time i was there, though, i was served by a dude with a shaved head, and i said, Nice haircut (because i have my head shaved too) and he smiled. it was kind of wierd, and i felt all dirty... :raz: really, though... they can be quite cranky...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Actually, if anyone has a recipe for corn pudding, I'd like to have it

Corn Pudding Recipe

Strip kernels from 6 to 7 ears of corn.

Finely dice half small onion and half small green bell pepper.

Tbsp salt

Tbsp pepper

tsp. sugar

one cup of milk

half cup of half & half

1 Tbsp butter

Bring above ingredients to boil in sauce pan reduce then reduce to simmer for 7 minutes.

Pour into mixing bowl and cool. Add four eggs.

Scald another 1/2 cup of half & half along with 1/2 cup of milk.

Slowly pour into egg/corn/milk mixture and stir constantly to incorporate to temper the eggs.

Ladle into buttered ramikens until 3/4 full.

Set ramikens in hot water bath and bake at 320 degrees for 25 minutes or until knife inserted into center of pudding comes out clean.

This recipe serves eight.

Ladle into buttered ramikens until 3/4 full.

Set ramikens in hot water bath and bake at 320 degrees for 25 minutes or until knife inserted into center of pudding comes out clean.

This recipe serves eight.

Can this be made in baking dish instead of ramekins?

Cheap white buns. Coleslaw - mine is dressed with sour cream, mayo, mustard, vinegar and a bit of garlic. For pulled pork, I prefer a thinnish Lexington NC-style sauce (vinegar, a little ketchup, Worcestershire, spices).

In tomato season, a big platter of several varieties, sliced and lightly dressed.

'Thrill of the Grill' has a terrific black bean salad that's a nice accompaniment to brisket.

Toby's cornbread. :wub:

Dinosaur BBQ is now packaging the meat too...I haven't mustered the nerve to try it yet.

Actually the corn pudding I'm thinking of is like a bread pudding only made with cornbread, corn kernels. The one you posted sounds really good, too, Ron - I'll definitely try it. I love sweet corn.

Jennie

What's "half and half?", asked the dumb Brit.

Or some people refer to it as "light cream."

With Southwestern-style (not sweet) grilled meats, I love charro beans. And some kind of hot sauce, like Tapatia or Tobasco or Marie Sharp's or Louisiana hot sauce.

Or tortillas and pico de gallo.

If you're doing the Southeastern sweet-BBQ thing, then like sweet baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw - you know - the "regular."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I like a side of coleslaw preferably dressed with a mayo dressing.

Snow angel that red onion salad sounds great , am going to give it a try.

As to sauces, something heavy on the ketchup, vinegar and cloves.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Actually the corn pudding I'm thinking of is like a bread pudding only made with cornbread, corn kernels.

Okay - here ya' go - quick and easy. My kids' favorite.

Jiffy Corn Pudding

1 stick butter or margarine, melted

8 oz sour cream

1 large (or 2 small) eggs, beaten slightly

1 can creamed corn

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

1 can whole corn, drained

In bottom of large mixing bowl, melt butter. Add sour cream and combine. Add eggs and beat. Add all remaining ingredients and combine well.

Pour into greased 10"x10" casserole and bake, uncovered, at 350º 45 minutes, or until golden and cracking.

Yuuuummmm. So good. AND so good for you! :laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.