• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acompaniments for smoked meat

snowangel

pico de gallo.

Is pico de gallo the same as salsa, or a specific type of salsa.

I've always read that pico de gallo is a very specific combination of chopped raw vegetables: tomatoes, onion, and jalapenos, plus cilantro. Anything else (I believe) is not, strictly speaking, pico de gallo.

Salsa is Spanish for "sauce" and so is a much broader term.

Have been asked by several people to post my favorite Mexican Pico de Gallo recipe in the archives -

So have done.

Thanks for asking!

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Have been asked by several people to post my favorite Mexican Pico de Gallo recipe in the archives -

So have done.

Thanks for asking!

:rolleyes:

And it's a winner, folks -- trust me!! :biggrin: Using celery salt rather than table salt adds that "little something" to the recipe which allows it to distinguish itself amongst its peers.

I've always read that pico de gallo is a very specific combination of chopped raw vegetables: tomatoes, onion, and jalapenos, plus cilantro. Anything else (I believe) is not, strictly speaking, pico de gallo.

Perhaps, but that's not been my experience.

In fact, I believe that most of Mexico refers to the tomato/onion/chile thing as "salsa cruda."

And it's primarily in Northern Mexico, along the U.S. border, and in the U.S. where the tomato recipe with which most of us are familiar is called "Pico de Gallo."

Elsewhere in Mexico, Pico de Gallo more typically refers to something with jicama, or cucumbers, etc., red onions, orange or pineapple slices, salt, chiles of some sort, maybe even mint, marinated in citrus juices.

This is served as a garnish/relish - particularly good over fish - or as a snack, or even dessert, with toothpicks.

You "pick" or "peck" at the dish with your toothpick - hence the name "'peck' or 'beak' of the rooster."

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.