• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Heaven in the Ledger

Rail Paul

Pete Genovese (aka Burger Boy) made a series of trips to sample Jersey's best burgers. Over the course of six days, he tried thirteen burgers from one end of the state to the other. (Note: this trip was not done accompanied by an entourage travelling in a large van with a six foot long hot dog on the roof. It was relatively anonymous.)

Didn't like the Black Horse Inn in Mendham with dried out and tasteless burgers. His accomplice, aka Burger Girl, found it hard to swallow. Trenton's Rossi's produced a good burger, large and on a tasty roll. Liked it a lot.

Barnacle Bill's in Rumson met the team's favor with a large, nicely charred burger and superb fries. (note to self: get there before the summer crowds). Down the way a bit, Frankie's in Point Plesant Beach met the team's favor, though they didn't like the bun. This place won best in show

Tumulty's in New Brunswick had a perfectly grilled burger. Burger Girl left the party at this point. Burger Boy went on to the White Manna in Hackensack (cheap thrill), White Castle in Little Ferry (didn't care for it) and on to the Fireplace on Route 17 in Paramus (didn't ring his bell).

Gaffer's in West Orange had great onion rings but the burger was dried out, as was the burger at the Landmark in Livingston. Dee and I visited the Landmark after the Munchmobile team raved about it. Was OK for us, but I suspect having the hot dog topped truck might get you a bit more attention.

Arthur's Downtown in Newark featured a large burger on a semolina roll, he liked that one. Eddie's in Newark (down on Avenue L or thereabouts?) was not as good as he remembered. Hennessey's in Morristown had another big, dried out burger.

Does Big Really Matter?

It's the second article down, starting with Ray Kroc...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I agree about Landmark. I like Gaffer's, Poor Herbie's in Madison, Jim Johnson's in East Hanover, sometimes Wild Bull in Paterson. I recall liking Tumulty's as well, although I haven't been there in a while. Speaking of New Brunswick, I have heard that Stage Left serves up a really great (albeit expensive) burger. A friend who goes veggie every other year always has his last burger at Stage Left.

Whereabouts on Rt 17 is the Fireplace?

Whereabouts on Rt 17 is the Fireplace?

It's in Paramus, right by the Ridgewood Ave exit, just north of the 'Fashion Center' mall (which if you don't know it, is the mall that has the Bed Bath Beyond, Best Buy, and Applebees).

If you still don't know it, it just north of the Jaguar dealership. If your traveling North, the best landmark is the Wendy's on the southbound side of the road.

Hope that helps.

I'm very surprised he didnt go to Finks on our reccomendation.

He may be saving Finks for an Eat with Pete segment. Finks isn't a place to do a hit and run.

The EwP tend to be multi-visit, sample every thing on the menu ventures which appear on Friday. This week's visit to Shubox Cafe in Cedar Grove is an example. He tried three sandwiches and several dinner items in a two visit effort.

He liked my favorite - Cuban pulled pork sandwich on ciabatta (pork, swiss, orgeano, garlic, a mustard, various spices, etc) for $9

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Have had burgers at both Frankies and Barnacle Bills. Barnacle Bills is better, hands down. Also has much better non burger options for those who are not in the mood, especially if cioppino is available. Was also surprised that the review made it seemed like some of the other places were serving bigger burgers than Barnacle's. Hard to believe given that Barnacle's are listed as 10 oz and are probably closer to 12 oz.

• 2 years later...

After doing about an hour's worth of research yesterday, I decided that my quest for a buger would take me to the Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley. I went with a basic burger with lettuce and tomato--though I opted for the 8oz. Angus burger. Side of fries with a couple of Bass Ales.

I must say that while I have had better burgers in my lifetime, for a restaurant, the Franklin Steakhouse made one heck of a burger. I highly recommend it for anyone in need of a burger fix. Cooked to order at medium rare, it was juicy, perfectly cooked and delicious. Perfect size bun as well.

As an aside, my wife had a BBQ platter with baby back ribs. They were quite tasty as well.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Anyone been to Anthony Wayne in Wayne/Totowa right next to Fountains of Wayne? I keep meaning to stop there but I am usually in the wrong lane of what can only be described as the Gordian Knot of NJ crossroads - 46 & 23.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

I have been to the Anthony Wayne several times. Last time I was there I think the owners kids were running the show. When I say kids I mean 10-20 year olds. I typically order the mixed grill which is a cheeseburger with a large piece of Canadian bacon on top. It also comes with fries and maybe a pickle or two. Then they have metal containers with relish, and sliced onion. I through some onion on top and have a good time. I haven't really tried anything else there. If your in the area try it, but don't drive far to get there as it is nothing spectacular. The inside of the place is interesting to look at however.

I've gotten two emails over the past week that Anthony Wayne may have closed.  I'm hoping it may just be seasonal, though that hasn't been the case in the past.

Can anyone confirm Anthony Wayne's status?

They are not answering the phone.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've gotten two emails over the past week that Anthony Wayne may have closed.  I'm hoping it may just be seasonal, though that hasn't been the case in the past.

Can anyone confirm Anthony Wayne's status?

Have no fear, on Route 46 west just 1 1/2 miles east of Anthony Wayne is The Hearth serving up terrific charcoal hamburgers and hot dogs. Slightly less expensive than AWayne, The Hearth also has unlimited pickles-- and they are very very good!! They also have specials every week where a main dish is offered for a reduced price, e.g., hot dogs for 99 cents, or burgers for $1.50. Try the Hearth!!

Hearth Charcoal Restaurant

1116 US Highway 46

Clifton, NJ

Phone: (973) 473-6444

After doing about an hour's worth of research yesterday, I decided that my quest for a buger would take me to the Franklin Steakhouse in Nutley.  I went with a basic burger with lettuce and tomato--though I opted for the 8oz. Angus burger.  Side of fries with a couple of Bass Ales.

I must say that while I have had better burgers in my lifetime, for a restaurant, the Franklin Steakhouse made one heck of a burger.  I highly recommend it for anyone in need of a burger fix.  Cooked to order at medium rare, it was juicy, perfectly cooked and delicious.  Perfect size bun as well.

As an aside, my wife had a BBQ platter with baby back ribs.  They were quite tasty as well.

I would have to second that. I always order tha angus burger. Always great. Likewise the ribs are excellent as well but for those I much prefer Indigo Smoke.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Sorry cant watch a discussion on burgers with out shouting out to White Rose.. Have had several cancelled trips with in the last two years.. But if i remember correctly its the best burger in the world.

Where is White Rose? I know where there are several White Castles and I know where White Mana is, but I haven't even heard of White Rose...

Also, I have to disagree about the ribs at Indigo Smoke. I just don't find them to be anything special. I think a BBQ place has to do better than that when it comes to ribs.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Where is White Rose?  I know where there are several White Castles and I know where White Mana is, but I haven't even heard of White Rose...

Unless there's another one, the White Rose SYSTEM is in Highland Park! And yes, I remember them being quite delicious, esp after a late night out...! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Where is White Rose?  I know where there are several White Castles and I know where White Mana is, but I haven't even heard of White Rose...

Unless there's another one, the White Rose SYSTEM is in Highland Park! And yes, I remember them being quite delicious, esp after a late night out...! :laugh:

There's White Rose System in Highland Park and White Star just off the GSP at Exit 135. I am often stuck trying to decide which will grace my palate. I think that White Star is better tasting, but taste of a White Rose burger stays with you longer. Love the Cali burgers from both - the fried egg makes them special

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me