• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

egullety dinner at Rutt's Hutt

tommy

and, rosie can't make it, but she's arranging for 4 bottles of turley.  she said she'll drop 'em off at about 5.  i'll bring the stemware.

ok...now I am really cllose to hiring a babysitter..describe thes dogs in the best way you know how, jersey Board, and I'm leaving these kids behind!!!LOL.

Hey, come on, Tommy needs friends.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Say Tommy,

Or maybe just give the owners a general warning that a large and potentialy raucus crew were about to descend.  This way you could tell them that at least 10-15 ppl were definite, but that the potential for a bunch of drop-ins was also present.  That way we could leave the event open till the last minute.  Kinda like what was done at The German bar over the summer. 

Of course there's an agenda here :smile: . I'd like to commit but at the same time, leave the date open for potential family stuff. ("You're going to *another* eGullet event?" :shock: )

I've not been to Ruttt's, and would defer to your knowledge, but from what I've read, it seems to be a very casual bar and grill that also sells food (albeit good stuff).

you got it, mang.

but you *have* to come.

also, i wouldn't say it was a "bar and grill" with "good stuff." the restaurant area, where we'll be is, is more like an old dingy diner cum old man's bar. i wouldn't eat anything but the hot dogs, fries, and rings. although others have and claim that some of the other stuff is good. like the chili, iirc.

So what Turnpike Exit should I use?

well, get off at at route 3, heading west. i suppose that's the meadowlands exit. remember, you can also consider the porkway. i suppose it doesn't matter much from where you're coming. i'm assuming you're taking the porkway or 35 up to the turnpork anyway, yes?

Hi, I'm bowing out of this one, it just won't work out. :sad:

Have a wonderful time, and stay on your best behavior... Don't want to tarnish the stellar reputaion on NJ e-gulleters! :rolleyes:

So what Turnpike Exit should I use?

well, get off at at route 3, heading west. i suppose that's the meadowlands exit. remember, you can also consider the porkway. i suppose it doesn't matter much from where you're coming. i'm assuming you're taking the porkway or 35 up to the turnpork anyway, yes?

Porkway to Turnpork to root 3 to root 21.

Has Pig Day been extended? :hmmm:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Directions from the Turnpike

16w to

3w to

21 towards Passaic to

1st exit

Left over 21 to River ST

Rutts is 1000FT on left

Bring your own hot sauce. ST

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

A word of caution: do not, under any circumstances, have the steak sandwich. I realize that this won't be a problem for those of you who have already scoffed at the mere suggestion of having something other than a ripper but let me explain. Last summer, before a Jets exhibition game, I ended up at Rutts after having hot dogs for lunch. I probably should have just made it a 6 dog day but on the menu board they mention their steak sandwich as a specialty. Sure, I should have known better. Sure, most of you know better. But just in case someone wants to have something that goes better with their Turley :biggrin: and is tempted to get the steak sandwich please think again. Mine was so bad that I took two bites and threw the thing away. Burned on the outside and still raw on the inside. Now I grant you that is a culinary feat but not one worth eating.

Have a great time. I'd like to join you all but Wednesday's are the worst for me with Tuesdays following close behind. So I was out of the mix before this even started.

I am looking forward to tomorrow night. I will be heading up the Parkway from a training class I am in all week in Red Bank (exit 109). Exit 153 is the exit number for Route 3 East. I usually go though the Delawana section of Clifton so I would not be good with specific directions.

So how will I know everyone?