• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade condiment shelf life

KennethT

I've been thinking about making a few Indonesian sambals to keep in the refrigerator.  Most sambals are a combination of shallots, chillis, shrimp paste, garlic, etc. fried in oil.  The salt content is not that high, and there is usually no real acid component.  So after cooking, I'd assume the shelf life in the refrigerator is about a week - similar to other cooked foods.

My question is if I could extend the shelf life by refrying it every 5 days or so.  Would recooking kill the spoilage bacteria and keep it from going bad?

If you aren't sure about refrigerator shelf life, what about freezing those sambals in appropriate portion sizes?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

If the shallots and garlic are fried until crispy and no water is left, you basically have a chunky flavored oil that should last much longer than a week. 

Typically, they're not.  Standard sambals blend or crush in a mortar until it is a thick paste and the paste is fried, often with water added.  So there will be some oil floating on top, but other than that is quite liquidy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If you aren't sure about refrigerator shelf life, what about freezing those sambals in appropriate portion sizes?

I've thought of this, but sometimes, I only want a tea spoon or two, so that would be a LOT of individually frozen portions!!! Especially if i was to make a few different sambal.

• Like 1

Do you think you could freeze it as a flattened mass, thin enough to break off pieces? You could make a bunch of smaller chunks and re-bag them, or leave that flattened pack and break off as desired?

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

41 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Do you think you could freeze it as a flattened mass, thin enough to break off pieces? You could make a bunch of smaller chunks and re-bag them, or leave that flattened pack and break off as desired?

FWIW, I've been using that technique for rice for many years. Works great, saves a lot of space.

• Like 1

... Shel

50 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Thanks - I totally forgot about this, but I do it with other things.  It also reminded me that I need to make more soto ayam (Indonesian chicken soup) spice paste - it's a pain to make so I make a big batch and freeze just like this.  Every time I want to make soup, I break off what I need - about 2 tablespoons worth.  So this would actually be perfect for the sambal as well.

• Like 1

These are good answers, all.  I appreciate it.

Out of curiosity though, can repeated refrying it extend the shelf life in the refrigerator indefinitely? 

58 minutes ago, KennethT said:

These are good answers, all.  I appreciate it.

Out of curiosity though, can repeated refrying it extend the shelf life in the refrigerator indefinitely? 

My instinct says maybe the oil (and other ingredients) degrade with repeated re-frying and maybe it won't taste as good?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

once you've got a batch of stuff full of loverly bacteria, re-heating is not likely to do it - sterilization, ~270'F for 10-15 minutes after the coldest part of the batch has reached temperature, might do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1