• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Breakfast sandwich of 2 eggs with shrimp, 2 green Thai chilis, green onion, Italian parsley and dill formed into a square omelet (squomelet?) on a ciabatta bun with spinach, tomato and pepper jack. With a mix of orange, grapefruit and strawberries.

DSCN1930.thumb.JPG.7f09d1c9fa6ef636ee64a1bef90fc921.JPG

You and @blue_dolphin make the most complex and healthy breakfasts I could ever imagine. I never cease to be amazed. Most of my breakfasts are just toast, buttered, often with our marmalade. If it weren't for my husband that would be it, with maybe some fruit. But he makes great pancakes and great biscuits and great bread,

But now I'm back from NM and the frozen green chile we brought back actually managed to stay frozen. It's a pint container, certified Hatch chile and nothing else in the ingredients. And it's hot! So breakfasts have been scrambled eggs with green chile. God, I miss NM. It was so beautiful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Global Pantry Cookbook is this month's book for the cookbook group I participate in so I tried their version of avocado toast sprinkled with a gremolata made with orange zest and furikake in addition to the usual parsley and garlic. It was OK but if I want a "global pantry" ingredient on my avocado toast, kimchi gets my top vote!

3DC1A7FA-C19A-47EA-879A-350C00A18DC9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a40b7f0b0ef38b2850d05a053e2d3058.jpeg

The poached egg was not part of the recipe but I can never resist the opportunity to add a runny yolk! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I had some turkey breakfast sausage patties I wasn’t wild about and some bread from a bakery I am wild about so made a breakfast sandwich.

@Katie Meadow I agree with you on NM! I only lived there for three years but I get homesick for it but don’t for the also beautiful state I grew up in. New Mexico is extraordinary.

We’re lucky that a local company here brings in Hatch chiles and roasts them. Last year we bought a peck and processed them to freeze. I found I could freeze the chopped chiles in ice cube trays then pop them in a freezer bag. One cube is often all I need to add to whatever I’m making for two of us.

IMG_1396.jpeg

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Sweet potato, baked and then sauteed in butter with onion, ginger, garlic, cayenne, cumin, and garam masala. I am often dissatisfied with savory sweet potatoes but this was quite satisfying.

We had a pre-baked sweet potato because Mrs. C had air fried one last night, and it was still there this morning . . . :laugh:

Sweet_potato_savory_202404.thumb.jpg.c5a5c2025379bffc527d7cb72bf94fb4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Spinach, chorizo, and egg, topped with pickled shallots. Added chopped cilantro stems to the spinach. Blended chipotle in adobo, tomatillo salsa, ginger (!), cumin, and cream, and mixed in with fried onion and garlic, and Mexican oregano.

Would have been prettier if I didn't drop the fried egg (in the pan, not on the floor). Whoops

Chorizo_spinach_202404.thumb.jpg.766a3fa3fc7e0a2d2e68f699a4258756.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Kielbasa with spinach, cilantro, goat cheese, and egg, flavored with chile serrano, onion, and garlic.

Am I the only one eating breakfast these days? 

My usual breakfasts are just boring! Egg and toast, toast and peanut butter, granola and yogurt….good but boring.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

This breakfast topic has been running for years and has always been the least active of the Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner topic trilogy.

My theory is that even the most adventurous eaters tend to be most conservative at breakfast. We all tend to fall back to a handful of favourites which we repeat over and over again, perhaps due to lack of time to be more adventurous or simply a preference for familiar comforts first thing in the morning. Dinner is when I get most adventurous.

Breakfasts are said to be the meal travellers and ex-pats struggle with most. I moved from Britain to China 28 years ago and, although 90% of my meals now are Chinese, for breakfast I still tend to fall back to the old favourites – bacon, eggs, toast etc. Although, in the last couple of years, I have added congee to the rotation. I seldom post breakfast because there is seldom anything new or interesting. When in Vietnam, it’s bánh mì.

Chinese friends who have moved abroad find the same. A plate of ham ‘n’ eggs or a bowl of cornflakes is alien food which they find challenging for breakfast. They want a bowl of noodles or soy milk and deep fried dough sticks (crullers).

So the reason many of us don’t post here so much is that we’ve done so several times before. How many boiled eggs do we want to see?

boiledduckeggs.thumb.jpg.ddbb3dd2a609a9561edb3838de35eb58.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This breakfast topic has been running for years and has always been the least active of the Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner topic trilogy.

My theory is that even the most adventurous eaters tend to be most conservative at breakfast. We all tend to fall back to a handful of favourites which we repeat over and over again, perhaps due to lack of time to be more adventurous or simply a preference for familiar comforts first thing in the morning. Dinner is when I get most adventurous.

Breakfasts are said to be the meal travellers and ex-pats struggle with most. I moved from Britain to China 28 years ago and, although 90% of my meals now are Chinese, for breakfast I still tend to fall back to the old favourites – bacon, eggs, toast etc. Although, in the last couple of years, I have added congee to the rotation. I seldom post breakfast because there is seldom anything new or interesting. When in Vietnam, it’s bánh mì.

Chinese friends who have moved abroad find the same. A plate of ham ‘n’ eggs or a bowl of cornflakes is alien food which they find challenging for breakfast. They want a bowl of noodles or soy milk and deep fried dough sticks (crullers).

So the reason many of us don’t post here so much is that we’ve done so several times before. How many boiled eggs do we want to see?

boiledduckeggs.thumb.jpg.ddbb3dd2a609a9561edb3838de35eb58.jpg

My reasons for 3/4 of a century of buttered toast for breakfast is simple laziness combined with lack of interest in meat or salad before noon. If someone wants to cook something more ambitious for me I will most likely eat it. The idea of cooking in the morning makes me want to go back to bed. And yes, breakfast is often a problem when we travel. I really like old fashioned B and B's where someone actually feeds you. Going out for breakfast or brunch is not my thing either, at least not on a routine basis. If my husband is willing to bake biscuits or make me french toast I'm a happy camper. I can stay in bed eGulleting like right now, then go down for hot carbs and coffee with steamed milk. The exception is when I'm sick. I want pho for breakfast. That happens very rarely unless I have leftovers in the fridge. My husband would look at me like I was insane if I asked him to go out and get me some soup  in the morning. He's much too busy being Queen Bee, doing Two Not Touch or reading the paper. 

• Like 2

For years my breakfast was an industrial strength black coffee and a cigarette. I stopped smoking last century and while I still have a coffee Its less strong than before. After I retired in 2018,I started occasionally eating breakfast more but still don't always.

I guess a lot of us still in the workforce are less likely to have time or the appetitie for an early meal other than maybe a slice of toast. Or, if they do have breakfast, it's often a sandwich or something and a coffee picked up from a shop or kiosk near work. I know it's what many, if not most people do in London.

Until I was sick last year, I often stayed in hotels and homestays in the countryside where I would eat more - but it would be Chinese breakfasts and not anything I would (or often  could) make at home.

I'll never turn down a cup of oil tea in a ethnic minority villager's home.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Now this morning we went out to breakfast and I had a great country fried steak scramble with potatoes, veggies, eggs, and gravy. I took half of it home. But did I think to take a picture? No! And I doubt the leftovers will photograph well ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A few recent breakfasts.

The last of the freezer panettone as French toast with a mix of fruit and breakfast sausages.

I had some sorry grocery store tomatoes so roasted stuffed tomatoes. Mushrooms, spinach, onion, garlic, herbs, grated parmesan and enough panko  to hold it together.

Reheated and topped with a fried egg.

PanettoneFrenchToastwithFruitandSausage.thumb.JPG.998c8f5cbbd15e0ebf80f64d4d0fc10d.JPGBakeStuffedTomatoandEgg.thumb.JPG.7814525a853ecae8a4ae40209260cd7c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I'm usually here, cooking up something different most days.  I'm a morning person but I don't need to eat right away and not rushing off to a job gives me time to think about what I want and put it together. 

The last 3 mornings I've had tuna salad on a brioche bun which looked remarkably like this photo that I posted over in the lunch topic. 

4AA1F6D2-451D-457B-B55E-37E297CAB015_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f5b3cb1fe8ef9b5f65ddfb761f25835b.jpeg

Today, I filled the last bun with the end of the tuna salad so I should be back to my regular breakfast programming tomorrow AM 🙃

• Like 4

I'm a morning person, but not a breakfast person. We are usually have a cappuccino before 4:00 AM.

Not interested in eating in the morning.  Unless it is something sweet, like a donut, cinnamon bun, cream cheese danish, etc.to go  with

the cappuccino.   

Moe loves breakfast and needs to eat in the morning. 

And as much as he is happy with standard breakfast food,toast,  eggs, bacon , sausage, ham, omelettes, oatmeal, pancakes, etc.. or pretty much

anything I want to give him, he is more than happy to eat dinner for breakfast.  Which works for me especially on days that I work.  He can have dinner for breakfast

and I'll take it for lunch.

I really enjoy the Breakfast Topic and the untraditional meals posted by @liuzhou,  @blue_dolphin@C. sapidus.

• Like 5

I am not a morning person or a food in the morning person- the thought makes me nauseous. I need hours before I want anything more than a coffee.  The exception to that is when traveling for work and don't know when food will happen- I choke down hotel eggs and steal a yogurt or two for later. I leave next week for a 3 week work trip, I'll be sure to share at least one hotel egg pic!

On weekends I typically make breakfast for partner and I- I've been up for hours sipping coffee by the time he rolls out so it works.  During the week I don't typically have something for at least 5 hours after rising- and then it's usually dinner leftovers or sausages/meatballs/hunk of cheese type fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

4 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Leftover peas topped with an over-easy egg and pickled shallots

Peas_egg_202404.thumb.jpg.42b4a815e2ca8456a6edcda8a020696d.jpg

I love"weird" things with eggs, must try peas now!

• Thanks 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

14 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

I love"weird" things with eggs, must try peas now!

Thanks! If you like eggs on things you might want to search for Parsi "kasa par ida" ("eggs on anything"), from 'My Bombay Kitchen' by Niloufer Ichaporia King.

Excellent cookbook, too. 🙂

On 4/13/2024 at 10:31 AM, NadyaDuke said:

I made this yesterday and liked it so much I made it again today: Eric Kim's Gyeran Bap (Egg Rice). Gift link.  As he says, that looks like a LOT of roasted seaweed, but you stir it all together before you eat it so the egg yolk and seaweed all get integrated. The seaweed cooks down to much less, just like spinach.  Yesterday I did the recipe as written. Today I cooked the egg in chili crisp, a technique I've been wanting to try, and I liked the results.  I think this is going on my regular rotation. Making one rice cup in my rice cooker yesterday resulted in enough for three breakfasts, so I'm all set for tomorrow! I used the technique of heating the leftover rice in the microwave with a damp paper towel over it and it worked well enough, especially given everything else going on here. (Though that may horrify some people?)

Trust me, there's rice underneath all that!

image.thumb.jpeg.c0593641c3b1e013f0be6ea1d7acf381.jpeg

I finally got around to following @NadyaDuke's lead and made Eric Kim's Gyeran Bap from NYT Cooking.  I made the version from his book, Korean American, a couple of years ago (here in Breakfast 2022), so it was about time to repeat.  

98B4D473-88DB-40AC-BF0C-E9EC8BB5F2BD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.28ec71950534ad3f16f255245e28f0ef.jpeg

The egg itself was cooked per the slow fried egg recipe in Max Halley's new book, Max's World of Sandwiches.

It starts in a cold pan with a generous amount of oil and takes 15-20 min to cook the white and leave a runny yolk. Not your everyday egg, but I had to try it.  Max says it looks like a cartoon or emoji fried egg and indeed it does. 

I kinda missed the capers from the version of this in Eric's book so I reached for some leftover kimchi and onions from the mussels I made yesterday and added some of that to the bowl after I took the photo. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1