• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pad See Ew from Night + Market

4FF47796-8FD6-4A5F-B29A-C34229032CB3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8796e8e3d77336b4c8e0fad560022fc6.jpeg

This was very tasty, though in my efforts to get a nice char, which I achieved, I had issues with the noodles sticking to the wok. Still had chewy and flavorful noodles but I need to work on both my wok seasoning and technique. 

Wow! Everything looks great!  What kind of noodles are you using?  Are they dried or fresh?  Usually sticking is because the noodles are too wet, regardless of wok seasoning....

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Wow! Everything looks great!  What kind of noodles are you using?  Are they dried or fresh?  Usually sticking is because the noodles are too wet, regardless of wok seasoning....

Thanks, that's helpful!  The noodles were fresh-ish.  I got these at the Thai grocery store.  

7BC07071-8A0D-4982-8B14-0016E41ED063_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.452a5434a812770e14adfab87d7ef0fb.jpeg

They weren't in the fridge in the store but I put them in the fridge when I got home. I did see a tip to separate them out before refrigerating but I was too lazy!  

I microwaved the ones I used briefly, covered with a damp paper towel, so I could get them apart. That may have added some moisture. Maybe I can skip the paper towel and set them out to dry off for a while before cooking?  Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks, that's helpful!  The noodles were fresh-ish.  I got these at the Thai grocery store.  

7BC07071-8A0D-4982-8B14-0016E41ED063_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.452a5434a812770e14adfab87d7ef0fb.jpeg

They weren't in the fridge in the store but I put them in the fridge when I got home. I did see a tip to separate them out before refrigerating but I was too lazy!  

I microwaved the ones I used briefly, covered with a damp paper towel, so I could get them apart. That may have added some moisture. Maybe I can skip the paper towel and set them out to dry off for a while before cooking?  Any other suggestions?

This is the link to how I learned - https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/pad-see-ew-new/

I've found that most of her instructions are well thought out and lead to good results.

ETA:  She has this broader topic: https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/rice-noodles-101/

which covers how to cook most rice noodle types.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Zucchini, mushrooms, and roasted chile Poblano, sauteed with tomato, onion, garlic, chile Habanero, cumin, white pepper, and then finished with Mexican oregano and feta. The trick was adding the main ingredients sequentially so they were cooked down but still firm. Also salted and then drained zucchini cubes beforehand.

Zuke_shroom_202406.thumb.jpg.18af4693b4c6dac2d6228fe861928095.jpg

• Like 5

Pad Grapow (aka Ka Prao/Krapao/Krapow/Gaprao etc) Chicken from Night + Market  topped with a crispy fried egg. I didn't have any holy basil or regular basil so I used Thai basil. 

CFF7C49A-91BB-4B51-BC66-AF3179E3E99D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3b333d6852f965de4e970a30e29faef8.jpeg

This recipe differs from others I've read in relying on Prik Tum, a hot, garlicky paste made by smashing and cooking down chiles and garlic in oil in a larger batch rather than just what's needed for this single recipe. .

You blitz 3 large jalapeños, 3/4 cup Thai bird's eye chilies, 3/4 cup garlic cloves and 1/2 Tbsp salt in a blender or processor then simmer that in a cup of oil for 45 min or so before seasoning with white pepper.  It seems like a Thai version of Hamburger Helper 🙃 as it transformed some ground chicken and green beans into a delicious meal. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

I got white sea bass in my fish share this week and used some to make these crispy fish tacos from Night + Market.  

BFBA7600-F5DF-4FEB-9725-89C20F1C9CED_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c3bc8e4763bfcb8b1ed494d7d7bd542f.jpeg

In the book, he uses a tempura-like batter and deep fries the fish.  I made a breading from the toasted rice powder in the book and a bit of cornmeal.  Marinated the fish first in buttermilk with lime zest and garlic. In place of a salsa verde, he uses Nam Prik Khee Ga, which he translates in the header notes as "crow shit nam prik," named apparently for its appearance with charred bits of chile, etc. I could have done without that description but the stuff is indeed very good here. The pico de gallo is fairly standard, though he adds sugar, which I skipped.  I made the crema from a recipe in Nopalito (just Greek yogurt, lime juice and salt) and made the tortillas with Masienda yellow masa harina. All in all, it was more work than my usual fish tacos but always fun to try something a little bit different. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Continuing the theme - rajas con crema tacos with diced zucchini. Roasted Poblanos, seared zucchini and onions, and sauteed garlic and habaneros, finished with half-and-half, feta, cilantro, thyme, white pepper, Mexican oregano, and a squeeze of lime.

Rajas_crema_202406.thumb.jpg.166b98192841840e51026a6d4e12904d.jpg

• Like 8

It's painful to be back in hell!

The first meal was just sourdough bread with various cheeses and home-made peanut butter and chocolate spread. The meals after that were just some random things we have missed.

Don't remember seeing mushrooms and kimchi in Borneo. They love spicy and some fermented foods there but no kimchi at all. (Trout roe and bonito flakes bottom half)
jMdkzA50_o.jpg

We missed oily fish, dairy and pumpernickel.
VjRFU1CL_o.jpg

0xWTMUeG_o.jpg

And even if I could buy oysters in Borneo I wouldn't (but would look at them longingly). Too much of a risk.
jSroaHMo_o.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

From the What the hell? Let's try it! Dept:

Local scallops seared in coconut oil, local strawberries, blueberries from CA, shaved radish and scallions on mixed greens, splashed with my house-made ponzu.

IMG_20240701_135201042~2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Walnuts are fine.  I use a lot od TJ's walnuts.

Pecan's >>>>  walnuts..in the final analysis.

My sister used to snd me , in the fall 5 +++ pound , still in the shell from a Pecan orchard in TX a few mils from where she lived.

delicious they were   2 - 4 different trees it seems.

Grilled white sea bass from the weekly fish share with a pat of Gabrielle Hamilton's preserved lemon compound butter, along with my riff on a za'atar zucchini pasta dish from Tenderheart.

67C09A57-077B-4279-8FEF-5E2544ACA04E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.27e3ba2b5db97b1951eb0cc456dc60d7.jpeg

The recipe called for instant ramen noodles but they refused to come forth from the pantry when I summoned them so I went with these little lemon guys from Trader Joe's which only take 5 or 6 min to cook.  Also, I added sugar snap peas and little cherry tomatoes 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

@OlyveOyl

correct  my sister lived in a part of TX in a smaller town N.of Austin

towns in  that era had pecan trees in the public areas , some quite old.  come Pecan season

'you picked up a few , freshly grounded and enjoyed them it seems 

there are several varieties.  

TJ's for the longest time , had pecans much fryer then any supermarket 

at some point , the Chinese , in China , developed a taste for them

prices went way yp , and the local orchard sold most of their crop in that direction

about 3 to 4 x the local going rate,

prices went up everywhere , inv TJ's.  about 10 years ago or so

and the bags got smaller , still a certain most // lbs.

excellent for the growers my sister knew well.

te ones from TX came in the shells ,in burlap sacks.

my sister had to send me a 'pecan nut cracker '

I still have it  interesting contraption,

adjustable for eacj pecan

alas m no fresh pecans.

this one :

dddd.thumb.jpg.ded726f12eadcc79bf5816c600a66c08.jpg

came w no tools

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1