• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2023

Host's note: the previous topic is Drinks! 2018, which goes on for 13 delicious pages!

I can't believe I couldn't find a Drinks thread since 2018.  It's now well into 2023!  Anyhow it had been at least a couple years since I'd had a proper zombie.  Last week Amazon/Whole Foods proffered white grapefruit and I knew the time had come.  Sadly what were sent were ruby grapefruit, as the PLU code clearly indicated.  Of course amazon being amazon I didn't have to pay.  But I still had grapefruit to use up.

I pressed* ahead.  I made up a batch of Don's mix, refreshed my supply of Small Hand Foods grenadine and purchased a new bottle of falernum.  Likewise a bottle of Ricard Pastis de Marseille, for which the recipe requires six drops.

Got the job done.  Lovely with clear ice.

*Pun halfheartedly intended.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For tonight's beverage I went searching for inspiration.  After last night's zombie I have a generous bottle of Don's mix in the refrigerator that is not getting any younger.  The Don's mix and the refrigerator.

On Kindred Cocktails I found a recipe for the Golden Barnacle, created by Shannon Mustipher.  Wow, this is good.  Not sure my presentation is traditional, but the Golden Barnacle is beautiful with clear ice.

This drink is so good I went to amazon and ordered a copy of Shannon's book:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

The zombie I concocted a few nights ago did bad things to me, or rather did good things to excess.  As we speak I am enjoying a zombie made with half the rum.

Now if I only had a mint sprig.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The zombie I concocted a few nights ago did bad things to me, or rather did good things to excess.  As we speak I am enjoying a zombie made with half the rum.

Now if I only had a mint sprig.

I have never had a Zombie but now you have inspired me to investigate them. It will be payback for the time my husband surprised me, and believe me I was surprised, with a Singapore Sling. Sweet and nostalgic right? No. I have told hime 20 times about projectile vomiting Singapore Slings in my early 20's. He is a kind man, I guess he just blocked out my story and thought it would be a blast from the past. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Watermelon and tequila (Espolon blanco) two ways.

Vacuum infused watermelon tequila skewer with lime and Maldon salt:

tequilamelonskewer.thumb.jpg.4e207dade635d7e659819a4e0aee8391.jpg

Pro tip: a byproduct of vacuum compressing watermelon with tequila is tequila infused with watermelon.

Watermelon infused tequila Porthole with mint, jalapeno, and lime.

portholetequilamelon.thumb.jpg.a516c64ef6fc5dfd39cb2bbd77a9364e.jpg

Perilously drinkable. The mint and spice come through loud and clear. The lime? Not so much. But it sure looks good. Next time, I'll add some lime juice in with the liquor to get the acid up. The lime was mostly ornamental, which was surprising because it was a good lime.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My evacuee nephew (from the Okanagan fires) came to spend a few days with us. His is quite interested in cocktails and the making of so I knew just where to take him for an afternoon treat. There is a farm to still distillery a couple of miles from us. They have a lot of unique spirits and a few different tasting menus. Nephew and I opted for a coctail flight each. He had an Old Cheddar and Apple Butter Grilled Foccacia sandwich, I had a warm pretzel with mustard. Everything was  top notch. Nephew had to buy a couple of the Dill Pickle Vodka tasters on the way out. https://rootsandwingsdistillery.ca/

G menu.jpg

G cocktail flight.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 11:26 AM, Slim W said:

Well, I guess it's Negroni Week, taken a few years ago in Newfoundland.  A local gin and some iceberg ice.

20190619ILCE-7RM3-_TCW2848.jpg

I love a good Negroni. So does Ryan Reynolds apparently. https://www.google.com/search?q=ryan+reynolds+negroni&oq=ryan+reynolds+negroni&aqs=chrome..69i57.8769j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:22ee5406,vid:LaXPxnntOOk,st:0

ETA: the video has some profanity

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Haha 2

My Negroni week observances thus far...

• Monday:  Black Lime Negroni - equal parts black lime-infused Dolin blanc, gin and Amaro Angeleno. Basically a white Negroni variation. This is one of my favorite summer cocktails.
  • Tuesday: Boulevardier - Equal parts Cocchi vermouth di Torino, rye and Bruto Americano.  Obviously not a Negroni but it was a gray and chilly evening so I was in the mood.  The Cocchi is my summer vermouth, not really made for this.  I would have preferred Punt e Mes or Carpano Antica but I don't switch until the equinox, at least.  Still hit the spot.
  • Wednesday: Negroni Rosa - Equal parts Cocchi Americano Rosa, gin and Luxardo Bianco Bitter. Got this from a Jeffrey Morgenthaler cocktail that used Yzaguirre Rosé Vermouth and a lemon peel garnish called a Rosé Negroni.  The orange does look jarring there though it tasted OK. Another favorite summer cocktail.
  •  37D99147-FCC7-474B-9412-9824352E1430_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0169deaf5f24b4d057080161efdda5ae.jpeg

• Thursday:  Negroni - Equal parts Cocchi vermouth di Torino, gin and Bruto Americano.  

That covers my usual Negroni-ish suspects.  Not sure what's up next.  Maybe a mezcal Negroni  something with sake?  I need to think about this. There's some time left. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Tuesday: Boulevardier - Equal parts Cocchi vermouth di Torino, rye and Bruto Americano.  Obviously not a Negroni but it was a gray and chilly evening so I was in the mood.  The Cocchi is my summer vermouth, not really made for this.  I would have preferred Punt e Mes or Carpano Antica but I don't switch until the equinox, at least.  Still hit the spot.

I don't know that I'd call this a Boulevardier (I know, I know, semantics), as a Boulevardier is classically made with bourbon.  However, you're certainly moving closer to a 1794 Cocktail, created by Dominic Venegas, at a bar called...Rye!

I went old school last night...

IMG_0404.jpeg.0cd64aeb3ed63ba8a253b0281b7e5788.jpeg

They were so good, I might have had another one.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That covers my usual Negroni-ish suspects

How about Phil Ward's Cornwall Negroni, in honor of Gary Regan? (A bit more potent, perhaps.)

Cornwall Negroni
2 ounces gin (Beefeater)
1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
1/2 ounce Campari
1/2 ounce Punt e Mes
2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: orange twist
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass.
Source: Phil Ward, Pegu Club (2006)

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I don't know that I'd call this a Boulevardier (I know, I know, semantics), as a Boulevardier is classically made with bourbon.  However, you're certainly moving closer to a 1794 Cocktail, created by Dominic Venegas, at a bar called...Rye!

I went old school last night...

IMG_0404.jpeg.0cd64aeb3ed63ba8a253b0281b7e5788.jpeg

They were so good, I might have had another one.

You need clear ice cubes.

• Haha 1

Raised a Last Word to Murray Stenson, Seattle bartender extraordinaire who rediscovered and popularised the drink and who recently passed away. Being served drinks by him at Zig Zag Cafe was an amazing experience. Such a kind man. 

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

2 hours ago, Slim W said:

I too prefer rye to bourbon in a Boulevardier

Because you like a different drink than the Boulevardier?

6 hours ago, haresfur said:

Raised a Last Word to Murray Stenson, Seattle bartender extraordinaire who rediscovered and popularised the drink and who recently passed away. Being served drinks by him at Zig Zag Cafe was an amazing experience. Such a kind man. 

Some very nice tributes poured forth this past week.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 8/16/2023 at 3:46 AM, btbyrd said:

portholetequilamelon.thumb.jpg.a516c64ef6fc5dfd39cb2bbd77a9364e.jpg

Perilously drinkable. The mint and spice come through loud and clear. The lime? Not so much. But it sure looks good. Next time, I'll add some lime juice in with the liquor to get the acid up. The lime was mostly ornamental, which was surprising because it was a good lime.

What’s that bottle ?

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Aged Gin is an abomination* !

—-

* that I do indulge in at times (preferably Monkey 47) …

Monkey 47 is indeed a lovely gin. At least this Kyrö does not require you to remortgage your house. 😉

I was able to tour the Kyrö distillery in 2022, turns out after tastings, many people picked the dark gin as their favorite according to the host. They primarily distill rye and gin. 

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I made them - once. Pain in the ass and takes up too much room in my freezer.

For my part I have made clear ice cubes twice.  With my setup they are easy enough to make, but then a well meaning friend gave me a lot of frozen chicken soup.

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2023 at 5:22 AM, weinoo said:

I don't know that I'd call this a Boulevardier (I know, I know, semantics), as a Boulevardier is classically made with bourbon. 

Yeah, I should have added -ish to all those cocktail names not least because I’m using Bruto Americano instead of Campari as I like its increased bitterness and reduced sweetness. 
I took my permission to play from Tony Cecchini’s NYT article, where he said, 

Nitpickers will suggest these variations are all technically different drinks, and should have their own names and sub-phyla; that’s why they’re called nitpickers. I just call it putting a little English on a Boulevardier

So says the man who puts 2 ryes and 3 vermouths in his Boulevardier 🙃

Edited to add that I realized that I’d previously only made the proper bourbon Boulevardier with proper Campari so I went ahead and made an improper Boulevardier-ish cocktail with equal parts bourbon, Cocchi vermouth di Torino to wrap up Negroni week.  Very nice. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)