• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone else remember Kraft Sandwich Spread?

MaryIsobel

I'm not sure if it was only a Canadian thing, but does anyone remember Kraft Sandwich Spread? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Kraft-Sandwich-Spread/6000153707200 In my memory, it tasted like a mayo, ketchup, relish type combo, quite sweet. I haven't thought of it in years. My best friend in elementary school used to bring Sandwich Spread sandwiches. Due to the lunch trading that used to go on, I had tried it and begged my mom to buy it for sandwiches. She said that it was not something you made sandwiches of, but rather something you used along with other things on a sandwich. She was a tough nut to crack and she never did buy it. Seems like it may have been similar to Durkees.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm not sure if it was only a Canadian thing, but does anyone remember Kraft Sandwich Spread? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Kraft-Sandwich-Spread/6000153707200 In my memory, it tasted like a mayo, ketchup, relish type combo, quite sweet. I haven't thought of it in years. My best friend in elementary school used to bring Sandwich Spread sandwiches. Due to the lunch trading that used to go on, I had tried it and begged my mom to buy it for sandwiches. She said that it was not something you made sandwiches of, but rather something you used along with other things on a sandwich. She was a tough nut to crack and she never did buy it. Seems like it may have been similar to Durkees.

I am pretty sure the one I remember, was made by Heinz, but was also called sandwich spread. I think I tried to like it, but was never really successful. It was sort of like 1000 island dressing.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Kraft Sandwich Spread?

My husband loved that stuff. The problem was that we would buy it and he would use two tablespoons out of the jar and it would just sit there until I threw it out. We would go through that ritual about once a year. I thought it was gastly.

• Haha 1

My mom liked it. She put it in deviled eggs, egg salad sandwiches and potato salad.

Some families I knew used it as their default condiment on hamburgers. It makes a certain sense, I suppose... it's not entirely unlike the "special sauce" on a Big Mac.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 1/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, Anna N said:

I am pretty sure the one I remember, was made by Heinz, but was also called sandwich spread. I think I tried to like it, but was never really successful. It was sort of like 1000 island dressing.

As I recall sandwich spread, the first couple of tablespoons out of the jar were a nice sandwich addition, but it staled quickly and took on an "old oil" flavor.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

On 1/4/2023 at 6:02 AM, MaryIsobel said:

I'm not sure if it was only a Canadian thing

Certainly not. Both Kraft and Heinz varieties were and remain a feature of every bad 'picnic' sandwich in the UK, too. Revolting stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Sandwich_Spread

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Heinz pushed the sandwich spread again in the early 90's when it grew relatively popular, I remember one summer holiday when it was the in thing, but it's really seen now. You could probably find in a larger supermarket possibly lurking near the jars of fish and meat paste...

• Like 1

Might indeed be a Canadian thing, but Heinz Sandwich Spread had a fond place in my heart as a child.  Usually it was Salami and sandwich spread, sometimes with hard boiled eggs.

I recently tried the Kraft variety and found it revolting - nowhere near as good as what the now defunct Heinz version was.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Was a staple at my house in Southern California growing up.  Basically thousand island dressing without the ketchup (or if you prefer, mayo and relish).  I think it was Heinz brand though.

Upon reflection it may have been Best Foods brand (Hellmans on the East Cost).

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs