• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone else use Durkee Sauce?

Tropicalsenior

Found this in my store today, right next to the Mayochup…. there were 4 or 5 bottles, all set to expire Jan 2023. I imagine that speaks to how often they sell. I will keep an eye out and see if they get new stock, and if they do, I will give it a try. Probably good in deviled eggs??

7D3C05C2-C759-4747-AC03-DEF1AC3E72F1.jpeg

• Like 3

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

My only context for Durkee's is that Frank's hot sauce was originally sold here in the Maritimes under that name. Then it was briefly Durkee's/Franks and now just Frank's.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What the heck is that?

This happened a few years back… the why of it remains unclear to me still.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/heinz-debuting-mayocue-and-mayomust-for-those-times-when-mayochup-just-wont-cut-it

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Durkee's is kind of a sweet mustard sauce.   As I've written, ubiquitous in Montana, as it is in many regional recipes and certainly on poultry sandwiches.   Not at all to my taste.  But it certainly rings a chord with those who have a sweet-savory tooth.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

15 hours ago, BetD said:

Found this in my store today, right next to the Mayochup…. there were 4 or 5 bottles, all set to expire Jan 2023. I imagine that speaks to how often they sell. I will keep an eye out and see if they get new stock, and if they do, I will give it a try. Probably good in deviled eggs??

7D3C05C2-C759-4747-AC03-DEF1AC3E72F1.jpeg

Perinaise? I understand what it is, but what a dreadful name! Sounds like a disease in an unmentionable part of the body. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I just came across this recipe for Southern Style Deviled Eggs. Sounds like it would be pretty good.

So even Saveur believes that the use of Durkees makes these eggs southern. Perhaps this is not just my misconception. Or is it the relish? Further down this rabbit hole I discover that the "nuclear green" sweet pickle relish is also often associated with the south. This too may be incorrect. That radioactive relish is ubiquitous across the country as far as I know. But again, what DO I know? Coming up for air I discover I have a hankering for deviled eggs. Mine have neither Durkees or sweet relish. New Years Day seems like a good day for deviled eggs; a beginning with endless possibilities. Happy new Year to all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

nuclear green" sweet pickle relish is also often associated with the south

It has come even more south. The Costa Ricans are beginning to put it in everything. The brand that hwe get down here is Heinz.

And I do put it in my deviled eggs.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

On 12/31/2022 at 3:50 PM, Dave the Cook said:

A combination of ketchup and mayonnaise. A Heinz product, though people have been making it themselves for nearly ever.

I was surprised when I moved to CA to see that many people routinlely slathered mayo, ketchup and mustard on their burgers in what appeared to equal and generous amounts. Growing up in NY I think we only used Heinz ketchup on a burger. You would think by now Heinz and others desperate for a new marketing scam, would make a condiment that features all three. Yech.

• Haha 2

On 1/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, Katie Meadow said:

So even Saveur believes that the use of Durkees makes these eggs southern. Perhaps this is not just my misconception. Or is it the relish? Further down this rabbit hole I discover that the "nuclear green" sweet pickle relish is also often associated with the south. This too may be incorrect. That radioactive relish is ubiquitous across the country as far as I know. But again, what DO I know? Coming up for air I discover I have a hankering for deviled eggs. Mine have neither Durkees or sweet relish. New Years Day seems like a good day for deviled eggs; a beginning with endless possibilities. Happy new Year to all!

I associate that bright green relish with Chicago dogs.  It is MUCH brighter than the Mt. Olive or Heinz kind.  As a matter of fact, if you Google "Chicago relish" you'll see that glow in the dark green.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

If anyone finds Durkee's in their store, I'd be willing to pay for some and shipping to mail it to me.  I've looked all over for this stuff in Oklahoma and cannot find it.  I used to get it in Houston where my son lived; but, now can't find it there.  It makes me so sad and apparently I was/am addicted to it because it is all I can think about!  My grandfather used to put Durkees on crackers...and that's what I started doing.  I LOVE it!!!!  It's just tangier than mustard and really is so yummy!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LacyLynn said:

I was/am addicted to it

Welcome to eGullet.

I'm not addicted to it but I live in Costa Rica and I can't find it. There are some things that I like it in. This is a fairly good recipe to make your own.

1/3 cup cold water

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup vinegar

2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 egg

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons cold butter cut in tiny bits

Combine the water, cornstarch, vinegar, salt, sugar, egg, and mustard a bowl and blend with a whisk  until smooth.

Place the sauce in the top of a double boiler, add the margarine, and cook over simmering (not boiling) water for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently until smooth and thickened.

Let the sauce cool slightly and whisk vigorously to combine well.

Put the sauce in a covered container and chill in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using to let the flavors meld and mellow. It will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 months.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

what makes it different

That's hard to say. It's different than just a combination of flavors it has its own unique texture and flavor. When you add Durkees to something you don't need to add other things. It's complete in itself.