• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Shakshuka with toasted focaccia. Tomato (with skin), orange pepper, red onion, green chili and finished with chives, parsley and chive flowers.

I would love your breakfast.  And I never peel tomatoes.  I like the skin.

KoreanFriedChickenJune23rd2023.thumb.jpg.ac49e8616e6110a688c3b35a6b5a2d95.jpg

I made Korean Fried Chicken for Moe's breakfast this morning.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

OK, crab-man, that looks amazing but I can only unambiguously identify the green beans 🙃.  What is this beautiful dish?

Firstly, thank you!

Poached green beans in water until done and then removed. Sliced and sauteed chicken andouille sausages and then removed. Sauteed onions until reduced, and then added chopped garlic, serrano chilies, and fermented black beans. Cumin, black pepper, and garam masala for spices. Cooked down a small can of Hatch chilies 'cuz they needed using up. Finished with cilantro and the last of the feta cheese.

Needless to say, this was improvised. 🙄

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

12 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Needless to say, this was improvised. 🙄

I was entranced and curious too. Most of my dishes are improvised and the ingredient list born of availability or need to use.  

• Like 1

Buckwheat crêpes with cherry tomato conserva and ricotta from Grist

9ED3CCCD-E8BE-4AEC-986A-12B0B59177FA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cb192891899fc70a180ae46a927ed56a.jpeg

My buckwheat flour is stone ground from a local mill but not as gray-looking as others.  I'm OK with that as gray crêpes aren't all that appealing! 

After filling and folding, these go back into the pan to get a crispy bottom so the ricotta is all warm and melty. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

IMG_3083.thumb.jpeg.c7785ce9fa198b145f31cd727d1df67b.jpeg

Breakfast this morning was a mug of Caldo Verde which might belong just as well in the unexpected food gifts thread. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Buckwheat crêpes with goat cheese, shaved Brussels sprouts + hazelnut rig from Grist

73D74D49-5FBE-46A5-BE45-AC8BBA44720F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8ce411fa9002188c17de68fbd1d5177f.jpeg

After filling and folding, the crêpes go back into the pan to warm the cheese and crisp the bottoms.  The hazelnut "rig" is one of the simple toppings that abound in this book:  toasted hazelnuts, tart dried cherries, sherry vinegar and olive oil. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast sandwich of homemade roasted tomato sausage, egg and pepper jack on a toasted brioche bun.

It could have used some lettuce but I didn't feel like going out to pick some and feed the blackflies.

Tomatoes and cherries balanced out the fatty sandwich.

DSCN0936.thumb.JPG.1a3ba121899de331e23806b92f018677.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

A slice of sour cherry/apricot tart with a dollop of sour cream, Rainier cherries on the side.  The Rainers didn’t have a lot of taste going for them, I’ll probably use them for a pie , heat and sugar “improves” mediocre fruit….sometimes!

IMG_3958.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

@C. sapidus has been making great breakfasts with green beans.  Me?  I'm still on a buckwheat crêpe roll.... or fold?  🙃

This is my third of the five variations offered in Grist and the only sweet one. They're filled with mascarpone that's been whipped with a splash of cream and a little honey (I used buckwheat honey to stay with the theme), warmed gently in the oven and topped with fresh berries.  I added the lemon zest to garnish.

5708C22F-B8DE-4D9D-A053-872A12F9506A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.83e303ded495044949fbe40d414a37ec.jpeg

Since I had the crêpes stashed in the freezer, this treat was both easy and delicious.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2