• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Lighting

paulraphael

58 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

You could also look for a bulb rated for an enclosed fixture. They’re more heat tolerant by design.

Need water tolerance as well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It's just a ordinary A19, E26 base bulb.

I think you'd be safe using any E26 base LED bulb - I searched Amazon using that search term and came up with hundreds

Waterproof? - maybe some steam from boiling veggies? - grease splatters? - not much - it's not like it's going to be underwater

Although an LED bulb is not vacuum sealed it is sealed, I would think to warrant going in a range hood

Again I did an Amazon search for "E26 Range Hood LED" and came up with 9 specific choices

Good luck 😄

p

• Thanks 1

Another consideration is most LED bulbs have an opaque bottom part that restricts the angle of light output.  Since the socket is horizontal, if I used one of these bulbs most of the light would be directed towards my eyes, rather than down onto the cooking surface.

Some years ago I switched to an LED lightbulb for the refrigerator.  It works really well.  I recall I have a spare LED refrigerator bulb in the closet somewhere.  If I can find it I may give it a try in the range hood.

This is almost funny.  My desk lamp bulb blew out, but my questions about range hood lighting were intended to be proactive.  The present bulb was fine.  However there had been a fly in my kitchen for the past few days.  From the bloody stain I think I finally got the fly.  But in my exuberance I also took out the range hood light.  Shards of glass all over.  For the foreseeable future I probably should not be going barefoot.

New LED range hood bulb on order.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

New range hood bulb works fine, although the higher color temperature takes a bit of getting used to.

Meanwhile, on the subject of kitchen lighting, yesterday I installed an LED strip above my sink:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

New range hood bulb works fine, although the higher color temperature takes a bit of getting used to.

Meanwhile, on the subject of kitchen lighting, yesterday I installed an LED strip above my sink:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Those LED lights are good, except you do need to recharge them (only 2000 mah when the battery is new).

Or you can do this:

Portable Charger Power Bank (10,000 to 26800mah), they are not expensive and not big, you can probably find space under cabinet to velcro one. Hook one up and you may need to recharge once a year.

BTW, you can change the light colors.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

15 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Those LED lights are good, except you do need to recharge them (only 2000 mah when the battery is new).

Or you can do this:

Portable Charger Power Bank (10,000 to 26800mah), they are not expensive and not big, you can probably find space under cabinet to velcro one. Hook one up and you may need to recharge once a year.

BTW, you can change the light colors.

dcarch

I have the LED strip hooked up to a USB charger.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have the LED strip hooked up to a USB charger.

And the charger plugs into 110VAC outlet? and you have an AC outlet above the sink? If you have an AC  outlet above the sink, why not just get a 110VAC  LED light that is significantly brighter?

dcarch

38 minutes ago, dcarch said:

And the charger plugs into 110VAC outlet? and you have an AC outlet above the sink? If you have an AC  outlet above the sink, why not just get a 110VAC  LED light that is significantly brighter?

dcarch

There is no outlet above or near the sink.  And as it is I have the LED dimmed considerably.  In addition I'd rather be routing low voltage around the sink rather than 110.  Your mileage may vary.

For anyplace you want great light, I strongly recommend the Soraa Vivid LED bulbs. The color rendering is as close to perfect as I've seen. We put them in our kitchen track lighting (recommended by the lighting designer who tried to post here) and everything under them looks ready for a photo shoot. 

I've actually just bought a couple of the PAR38 size to use for proofing photographs. The color looks as good to me as the halogen viewing lamps I used to use. 

They come in different color temperatures. Expensive. Not sure how they hold up to heat and steam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Notes from the underbelly

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

For anyplace you want great light, I strongly recommend the Soraa Vivid LED bulbs. The color rendering is as close to perfect as I've seen. We put them in our kitchen track lighting (recommended by the lighting designer who tried to post here) and everything under them looks ready for a photo shoot. 

I've actually just bought a couple of the PAR38 size to use for proofing photographs. The color looks as good to me as the halogen viewing lamps I used to use. 

They come in different color temperatures. Expensive. Not sure how they hold up to heat and steam.

The stated CRI of 95 is most impressive and the price is eyewatering* for a non-smart LED.  I now have the Soraa Vivid in my amazon saved for later list.  The Soraa specs state for use in damp locations.

*This from someone who yesterday purchased a $95.95 Hue smart bulb from Philips.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/19/2023 at 11:21 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The stated CRI of 95 is most impressive and the price is eyewatering* for a non-smart LED.  I now have the Soraa Vivid in my amazon saved for later list.  The Soraa specs state for use in damp locations.

*This from someone who yesterday purchased a $95.95 Hue smart bulb from Philips.

It's a rabbit hole. I've got a house full of Hue bulbs, and now 7 of the Soraa Vivids. It's cheaper than redecorating the place ... this is the story we tell ourselves. 

One nice thing about Soraa is they also publish TM-30 data, which is a much better standard than CRI. A bulb can have a CRI of 95 and still look terrible, but TM-30 is very reliable. 

• Thanks 2

Notes from the underbelly