• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

bought it after using my brother's Nutri-Bullet and found that it was more powerful and just all around better than the bullet. 

So it's fair to say... you bit the bullet?

• Haha 4

Almost every day I get fun stuff to evaluate, although some of the fun stuff is more fun than others.  I just finished a review of a new West Bend 5 cubic foot chest freezer:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

What a joy.  I'd never had a chest freezer before.  Amazing, when you lift the lid of a chest freezer the contents don't go spilling out onto the floor.  I relocated my blast freezer to the dining room, and set up the West Bend in the living room where the blast freezer used to be.  The West Bend easily held all the food from my ice bound freezer in the kitchen with oodles of space to spare.

I've now been able to defrost both the kitchen freezer and the blast freezer.  The blast freezer is not recommended to be run continuously, though I confess I had been using the blast freezer as an overflow freezer from the kitchen.  If there is a power interruption the blast freezer does not automatically restart.  The West Bend will.

Meanwhile I have high hopes for a new nugget ice maker that's on the way.  Considering the current Excessive Heat Watch the ice maker can't get here soon enough!

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What a joy.  I'd never had a chest freezer before.  Amazing, when you lift the lid of a chest freezer the contents don't go spilling out onto the floor.  I relocated my blast freezer to the dining room, and set up the West Bend in the living room where the blast freezer used to be.  The West Bend easily held all the food from my ice bound freezer in the kitchen with oodles of space to spare.

What is a "blast freezer?"  And, I hope you don't mind my asking, why do you have freezers in your dining and living rooms?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

... Shel

Ok, so I had a Magic Bullet for a time (maybe I still do, somewhere).  While it's certainly not a Vita-Mix, I thought it was OK for light smoothies and passable for processing small volumes of softer veggies.  The blade was very lightweight.

My big problem with the MB was the cheapa$$ zippered bag it came with.  Made storage completely unmanageable.