• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pots and Pots and Pans

43 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I wound up buying a super cheap Vigor (Webstaurant brand) just to try it out.  It was like $50 for a 8Qt stock pot - it's practically disposable, but I'm curious as to how it behaves - it should be fine for things like boiling water/cooking pasta.

I have a Vigor pot. Works great, heats quickly. Stays clean.

• Thanks 1

We have 18 stovetop pots and pans that have met our needs for many years.

All-Clad stainless-lined aluminum sauté pan – large: Probably our most-used piece of cookware because I love to bang pans around while cooking and it does a bang-up job of browning, searing, and quickly reducing sauces.

Falk stainless-lined copper saucieres (large, medium, small): I use these frequently but Mrs. C finds them too heavy. Great do-anything pans for sautéing and searing to stews, braises, delicate sauces, and caramelizing sugar. The small one melts chocolate beautifully without a double boiler.

Thin cast iron woks (medium, large): The medium one gets lots of use and has built up a remarkably durable non-stick patina. Best 20 bucks I ever spent on cookware, and still available from the Wok Shop. The large wok gets used less often so the patina is not quite as remarkable.

All-Clad saucepans (large, small): Mostly used to steam rice, but also handy for soups, sauces, and deep-frying.

Staub Dutch oven: Glad to have it, even though we don’t use it very often.

All-clad stockpot with steamer inserts – very large: Mrs. C uses this to make chicken stock and steam vegetables.

Non-stick frying pans (small, medium, large): Useful for cooking fish and eggs. These get replaced every once in a while.

Cast iron flat pan: Used to roast spices, garlic, and dried chiles.

Cast iron skillets (large, small): Large one is for searing meat. Small one is of unknown providence and rarely used but it is an heirloom from Mrs. C’s family, so . . .

Non-stick saucepans (large, small): Mostly used to boil water for pasta or vegetables. If these went away I would not be sad.

Does a kettle count by official rules?

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 2

We have enough pots and pans that that mostly fit in two drawers under our induction cook top.  Something under 20 pots and pans.

It's a Thermador unit that wasn't cheap.  it's 10x better then any induction single portable burner.

Has control from very little heat up to massive super fast for boiling water.  I love it!  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, mmlstarr said:

Hi there!

Does anyone have a good, true 8x4" loaf pan that they recommend? Looks to be a hard size to find!

Thanks

https://www.nordicware.com/products/naturals-1-pound-loaf-pan/

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Anchobrie said:

Hi!

Does anyone have experience with Caraway sets of ceramic pans?

Mrs. C bought a set of Caraway non-stick frying pans maybe 9 months ago. I think they were discount because of a couple of minor dings. They have held up well, although the canary-yellow outsides look like the pans get used (which they do).

The main thing I notice is that the Caraway pans cook more like cast iron: they are slow to heat but have good heat retention. This took some getting used to compared with the responsive aluminum and copper pans I am used to.

We have been happy with them, but price matters because non-stick pans are basically disposable. I hope that helps.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C bought a set of Caraway non-stick frying pans maybe 9 months ago. I think they were discount because of a couple of minor dings. They have held up well, although the canary-yellow outsides look like the pans get used (which they do).

The main thing I notice is that the Caraway pans cook more like cast iron: they are slow to heat but have good heat retention. This took some getting used to compared with the responsive aluminum and copper pans I am used to.

We have been happy with them, but price matters because non-stick pans are basically disposable. I hope that helps.

Thanks, We are actually talking about the same, canary-yellow colored. I don;t mind if they get marks of use (well, like Le creusset pans etc, that's something to be expected).

Thank's for the input, I will probably wait for a good prize and take the shot then :)

On 1/16/2024 at 12:13 PM, Dr. Teeth said:

Anyone have experience with the “Made In” line of pots or pans.  

I have a couple pieces and really like them comfortable handles. Prefer them to All Clad by a little bit. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2024 at 9:09 PM, Anchobrie said:

Hi!

Does anyone have experience with Caraway sets of ceramic pans?

I received a Caraway pot today.  It's cute if nothing else.  Any suggestions on how to use it?  I have no experience with this sort of cookware.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I received a Caraway pot today.  It's cute if nothing else.  Any suggestions on how to use it?  I have no experience with this sort of cookware.

Use it however you choose.  It appears to be aluminum coated with ceramic, similar to enameled cast iron.  Except it required a bottom disk to work on induction.

I could not find any information on how thick the aluminum is, which is not a particularly promising sign for high performance.

It's not DW-wise, and I wouldn't sear in it at high temperatures.

• Thanks 1