• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding the right size refrigerator

Franci

Hi guys, One year in the new house and I already had to repair this fridge twice (compressor problem) but the technician already warned me, next time you might have to replace the motherboard, he told me! I can already see ice building up in freezer. I am starting looking for a new refrigerator.  Problem is the dimensions. This is a LG lsxs22423s (width 32.8, depth 35.6 and height 66.5), obviously I am thinking of another brand. I am having an hard time looking for a replacement. I like the ice maker and water function. Freezer capacity is also important as now, living on an island, it more difficult to go shopping. Any suggestions? Thanks 

8622CFD2-9527-4E35-AEB1-A3EFDCDF90AD.jpeg

cheers  @Franci 

consider a call to HomeDepot

w the dimensions .  sometimes you can get a very helpful person.

next is to look around for higher end store 

and call them      

all of this depends on the stores you have around you.

Im sure you've thought this and done most of it already

the HomeDepot website has a lot of information on it

that might help you narrow down the brand choice.

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

You can search by dimensions on AJ Madison but I don’t see much in exactly that size. 

😁 that is the big problem! I tried it already, it looks there are not many options available 😅

thanks @rotuts, I will call the HomeDepot 

Have you tried y-tube on-line trouble shooting?. My fridge is counter depth and specific sized. I know so much about it via videos. I know exactly what to do when I get an ice water build-up at the bottom of the freezer and on the back....every six months. 12 years now. Best fridge I've ever had for veg. And freezer temps. Veg lasts forever and never a hint of frost/freeze. 

We had a hinge re-call 6-7 years ago. The tech that repaired gave me some hints as well. 

Freezer shopping a few years ago was an epic nightmare via big box stores. Like shopping for a mattress. 

If you can keep what you have running tip-top while shopping...without expensive repairs....

My local mom and pop suggested adapting my cabinets....no go. They are 50year old teak original. Not easy nor would I want to. 

It took a while but found a perfect match. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, Franci said:

Hi guys, One year in the new house and I already had to repair this fridge twice (compressor problem) but the technician already warned me, next time you might have to replace the motherboard, he told me! I can already see ice building up in freezer. I am starting looking for a new refrigerator.  Problem is the dimensions. This is a LG lsxs22423s (width 32.8, depth 35.6 and height 66.5), obviously I am thinking of another brand. I am having an hard time looking for a replacement. I like the ice maker and water function. Freezer capacity is also important as now, living on an island, it more difficult to go shopping. Any suggestions? Thanks 

8622CFD2-9527-4E35-AEB1-A3EFDCDF90AD.jpeg

Don’t know if I’m too late to help but check the installation clearances before you buy anything. My guess is that lg expects more ventilation around that unit. There are minimal clearance built in units sold but they’re much more expensive. There’s probably nothing wrong with your fridge that an inch of airspace wouldn’t solve

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, wibago said:

Hello. My family is looking for a new fridge but it seems very hard to find a fridge that fits the space of our old fridge. We've built around our old fridge so it's the only space we've got to work with and it's hard finding one the right size.... Was hoping someone could help point me to one! The dimensions are 174cm high X 86cm width X 80cm deep. Hoping that it has an ice maker but not absolutely necessary!

What part of the world are you located in? Is that the dimensions of the old fridge or of the total space you have to fit the new fridge into? 

I would think the height is going to restrict you quite a bit. There are probably some options in the old style fridges, but if you are looking for a French door fridge or something special, it's probably tricky. 

This house used to have a Kitchenaid KRFF300E. It might fit in your space though height is close. 

https://www.kitchenaid.ca/en_ca/major-appliances/refrigeration/refrigerators/french-door-refrigerators/p.20-cu.-ft.-30-inch-width-standard-depth-french-door-refrigerator-with-interior-dispense.krff300ess.html

OR 

https://www.compactappliance.com/kitchenaid-full-size-refrigerators-refrigeration-appliances/KRFF300E.html

It was probably one of the few fridges that would fit the limited height space in the old cabinets, but we replaced the cabinets and gave ourselves more room so we now have a taller 36" wide counter-depth fridge. We're in Canada and I don't know if you can find that model in your region. It's not that old, ours is now in the garage and I think it was manufactured only a few years ago. 

I really didn't like the configuration of the shelves and the door storage, but it might work for someone else. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

16 minutes ago, wibago said:

Hello. My family is looking for a new fridge but it seems very hard to find a fridge that fits the space of our old fridge. We've built around our old fridge so it's the only space we've got to work with and it's hard finding one the right size.... Was hoping someone could help point me to one! The dimensions are 174cm high X 86cm width X 80cm deep. Hoping that it has an ice maker but not absolutely necessary!

No idea where you live (always useful info)- but when I remodeled the kitchen here we had a great experience at the home improvement store (Lowes). Their consultant took the space dimensions, asked what we wanted in terms of use, asked if we were willing to live with a gap. Then she price shopped for us and Lowes matched the cheapest price on the selected model available elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I just asked ChatGPT for you, info may be slightly out of date but could be a decent starter:

Certainly! Here's a consolidated list of fridge freezer models that generally fit within the dimensions you provided (174cm high x 86cm width x 80cm deep):

1. Samsung RF24FSEDBSR
2. LG GSX961NSVZ
3. Bosch KGN86AI3P
4. Whirlpool WQ9B1L
5. Haier HTF-610DM7
6. Hisense RS694N4TF2
7. Siemens KG39NXB35
8. AEG RCB53324VW
9. Liebherr CNel 4313

Remember to verify the dimensions and specifications of each model with the manufacturer or retailer to ensure they align with your specific requirements.

• Like 1

There's an old saying: Never buy a refrigerator from a company whose primary business is making cell phones and TVs 🤣

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I see this drama playing out over and over. Manufacturer makes thing in bizarre size. Someone buys it and builds custom cabinets around it. You end up with this kitchen, and the thing breaks. You are screwed, or you get (sort of) lucky, and find an obscure thing that happens to be more or less the same size. 

Choices are: spend ungodly sums to replace everything, or live out your days with a new thing that has nothing to recommend it besides an ability to fit the odd-sized hole in your wall. 

If we ever manage to renovate our kitchen, one of the rules will be to stick with standard sizes. Just a minor effort to break the cycle of violence.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

48 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I see this drama playing out over and over. Manufacturer makes thing in bizarre size. Someone buys it and builds custom cabinets around it. You end up with this kitchen, and the thing breaks. You are screwed, or you get (sort of) lucky, and find an obscure thing that happens to be more or less the same size. 

Choices are: spend ungodly sums to replace everything, or live out your days with a new thing that has nothing to recommend it besides an ability to fit the odd-sized hole in your wall. 

If we ever manage to renovate our kitchen, one of the rules will be to stick with standard sizes. Just a minor effort to break the cycle of violence.

A kitchen we renovated in a home we were planning to sell within a few years presented that issue.  Did not want to buy a new fridge beffore move. They came up with a good size opening like for a side by side. There was a 6 inch or so gap which got a hinged panel to match. Easily removeable or customizable.  Used it as mini broom closet

• Like 2