• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade mayonnaise cookbooks

TdeV

Having recently made my first successful mayonnaise (thanks, Bamix), I'm on fire to mix in new and interesting items.

What I'd really like are some cookbooks which explore some of those possibilities, with reasons for making various decisions.

Suggestions?

• Like 2

One of my recent purchases is Max's Sandwich Book: The Ultimate Guide to Creating Perfection Between Two Slices of Bread (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Max Halley.

The author is owner of Max's Sandwich Shop in London and is obsessed with mayo.  The book includes a recipe for mayonnaise followed by 18 variations and I'm pretty sure there are a few others tucked here and there in the book. 

For the variations, he tends to give instructions for making both a whole batch or mixing up just a small amount for a single sandwich and he's completely fine with making the variations with Hellman's. 

The whole mayo section is only a few pages of the book so probably not worth a purchase for that alone.  That said, I highly recommend the book.  Max's writing style is a hoot as is his opinionated approach to sandwiches.  

See below for the Tuna Melt recipe:

IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.d6c153379cbc7cec41c33c624512328d.jpeg

I'm not sure I'll make a ton of the sandwiches as written but the book has given me a ton of ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 8

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

One of my recent purchases is Max's Sandwich Book: The Ultimate Guide to Creating Perfection Between Two Slices of Bread (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Max Halley.

The author is owner of Max's Sandwich Shop in London and is obsessed with mayo.  The book includes a recipe for mayonnaise followed by 18 variations and I'm pretty sure there are a few others tucked here and there in the book. 

For the variations, he tends to give instructions for making both a whole batch or mixing up just a small amount for a single sandwich and he's completely fine with making the variations with Hellman's. 

The whole mayo section is only a few pages of the book so probably not worth a purchase for that alone.  That said, I highly recommend the book.  Max's writing style is a hoot as is his opinionated approach to sandwiches.  

See below for the Tuna Melt recipe:

IMG_3794.thumb.jpeg.d6c153379cbc7cec41c33c624512328d.jpeg

I'm not sure I'll make a ton of the sandwiches as written but the book has given me a ton of ideas. 

Annnnnnnd, this right here just made me click on the link and buy it.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's really a fun book to read and get ideas from - hope you like it as much as I do!

I fell for it too. So thank you… I think. 

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

@Nancy in Pátzcuaro, sounds curious. Would you mind posting the recipe, please?

It has been a while since I made this, so it took some searching. This recipe makes one cup. The recipe is from David Leite.

1/3 c. very cold whole milk

3/4 tsp. fresh lemon juice

1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced

1/8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper

about 3/4 c. vegetable oil or 1/2 c. vegetable oil and 1/4 c. olive oil

Kosher salt

Combine all ingredients except for oil and salt in a glass 2-cup measuring cup (I used a tall plastic container to keep down the splash). Using a hand-held stick blender, buzz on high for about 30 seconds until frothy. With the motor running on high slowly pour in the oil a few drops at a time, increasing this to a fine thread, moving the blender up and down until the mixture thickens and resembles a soft mayo. You may need more or less oil. Season with salt to taste. Keeps in the fridge for about a week.

Variations include adding 1 cup of loosely packed cilantro and 1-1/2 inch peeled and grated fresh ginger; omit the garlic. Or add 6 anchovy fillets along with the other ingredients; omit salt. Or add 2 tsp. of curry powder; let sit in the fridge for about an hour so the flavor blooms. Or add 1-1/2 tsp. double-concentrate tomato paste with the oil, and stir in 1 tbs. minced oil-packed sun dried tomatoes. Omit the lemon juice.

It makes a very satisfactory mayo-like product without eggs. Because it uses milk it's not vegan, but I wonder how it would work with non-dairy milks. Someone (not me) should try that. I don't think coconut milk would be the right choice, flavor-wise.

• Thanks 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"